[comp.dcom.telecom] San Fransisco Horror

telecom@eecs.nwu.edu (TELECOM Moderator) (10/18/89)

At the time this is written, chaos is reigning in the Bay Area, and
all telecommunications are knocked out. The latest death count is
about 200 people, and this may be a low estimate. A large fire is
burning out of control and has destroyed much property.

I wish nothing but the best to our readers in the San Fransisco and
Oakland area, and I hope that as communications are restored we will
receive detailed reports of the disaster, particularly in reference to
telecom activities.

Berkeley is totally off line at this time, and email contact is not
possible with the sites in the San Fransisco area.

We seem to have been hit with so many disasters recently. First came
the storm on the east coast; then a few days ago, the storm in the
south which affected Texas and Louisiana.....and now this new horror.

Patrick Townson

louie@sayshell.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) (10/18/89)

While there were news reports regarding telephone problems in the SF
Bay Area, connectivity via the NSFNET and BARRNET existed to at least
NASA/Ames and Stanford.  I fingered a bunch of likely machines looking
for people that I know, but it seems as if most of them had left their
machines.

I noticed that later on in the early morning NASA/Ames dropped off the
network.. perhaps their UPS finally gave up the ghost?

louie

[Moderator's Note: Berkeley was off line from loss of power early in the
evening. I don't know when they came back up.  PT]

dmr@csli.stanford.edu (Daniel M. Rosenberg) (10/20/89)

telecom@eecs.nwu.edu (TELECOM Moderator) writes:

>At the time this is written, chaos is reigning in the Bay Area, and
>all telecommunications are knocked out. The latest death count is

>Berkeley is totally off line at this time, and email contact is not
>possible with the sites in the San Fransisco area.

>From Stanford, Internet service was available clear to everywhere
within hours of the quake. (Well, I made it to Pennsylvania anyway a
few hours later.) This was well before the phone service came back in.

Pacific Bell had -- I believe -- no physical damage to the phone
network, but it was way overcrowded. I believe that when the quake hit
they switched over the to A/B/C setup discussed here a while back,
where A phones (emergency, police, fire, etc.) got dial tone, and B
and C phones -- everyone else -- were switched back and forth as to
who got dial tone. The Stanford campus telephone network worked
continuously with no problems.

Long distance outward via AT&T, Sprint and MCI was scrambled. It
turned out that Telesphere was useful for something; their network was
quite clear and turned out to be an easy way to calm my nervous
parents.  ITI (10488) also worked. I am hoping this was ITI (aka ITT)
and I didn't have everyone in my dorm make a $50 3 minute
transcontinental or cross-state call.

Long distance inward was clogged full until last night (Wednesday).
Today, everything seems to be back to normal.

# Daniel M. Rosenberg    //  Stanford CSLI  // Eat my opinions, not Stanford's.
# dmr@csli.stanford.edu // decwrl!csli!dmr // dmr%csli@stanford.bitnet

kent@husc6.harvard.edu (Kent Borg) (10/21/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0457m01@vector.dallas.tx.us> telecom@eecs.nwu.edu (TELECOM Moderator) writes:

>At the time this is written, chaos is reigning in the Bay Area, and
>all telecommunications are knocked out. The latest death count is

Maybe at the time you wrote that, but by some time near 8PM PDT (11PM
EDT) there where some phones with working long distance service--both
incoming and outgoing.

I was at a friend's house when the earth rumbled.  Being near Boston
we didn't feel it, and not watching TV or listening to the radio, we
didn't know it happened.

We found out when we got a call from another friend.  She was calling
from her apartment in San Francisco.  She had no electricity and
didn't have a battery powered TV or radio, so she phoned us to find
out what was going on.

We turned on the TV to find out.  Later we called her back to tell her
what we knew.  The call to SF took a few tries to go through (maybe 10
minutes worth).

We were impressed.

Our call to SF was made by AT&T, I am told the sound quality was
normal (I didn't talk to her myself).

Kent Borg				"Then again I could be foolish
kent@lloyd.uucp				 not to quit while I'm ahead..."
or					     -from Evita (sung by Juan Peron)
 ...!husc6!lloyd!kent