[comp.dcom.telecom] Caller ID Saves A Life!

telecom@eecs.nwu.edu (TELECOM Moderator) (10/15/89)

For those of you who think Caller ID is the worst scourge to ever come
to the telephone industry, consider this case from Van Nuys, CA about
three weeks ago:

Penny and Michael Rodgers are a typical family living in Van Nuys.
Their son Jameson is three years old. While Mr. Rodgers was gone to
work one day, Mrs. Rodgers became violently ill and began choking.
While the nature of her illness was not discussed in the newspaper
account, what was noted was that she collapsed on the floor in the
family's home, and was choking and gasping for air.

Little Jameson saw his mother there and tried to talk to her. She
would not, because she could not, answer him. But he knew what to do
because his parents had taught him that in any dangerous situation;
ie, if anyone tried to hurt him, or his parents; or if anything seemed
to be wrong, he was to push the button on the autodialer connected to
the phone which had the picture of the policeman. That, he was told,
would summon the police and bring help.

The autodialer was programmed to simply dial 911, which conneced to
the Emergency Services dispatcher at the Van Nuys, CA, Police and Fire
Department.

Jameson lifted the receiver and pushed the button. He wasn't able to
tell the lady who answered where he lived, and he did not know for
sure how to say his last name. But he knew he was Jameson, three years
old, and that his mother was laying on the floor and would not speak
to him; and that she was coughing and 'breathing funny'.

By using her Caller ID display, the emergency dispatcher was able to
locate the phone number and address of Jameson and his mother. Once
the ambulance and paramedics were enroute, the dispatcher asked
Jameson to go outside and wait for them to arrive, then take them to
his mother when they arrived, about two minutes later.

The City of Van Nuys recommended a 'hero award' for little Jameson,
and at a ceremony last week, the tape recording of his conversation
with the emergency dispatcher was played back. Police officials
pointed out there were two lessons to be learned from the experience:
One, that all children should be taught, at the earliest possible age,
how to summon emergency help over the telephone from '911'; and two,
that without the Caller ID enhancement to the community's Emergency
Service line, there would have been no way to get help to Mrs. Rodgers
in time to save her life.

He noted that prior to the installation of Caller ID, there had been
several objections to the service; 'violation of privacy' being the
major complaint.  Some people apparently felt they had the 'right' to
talk to the police anonymously, and that this 'right' superceded the
rights of the police and fire departments to administer their duties
effeciently and effectively.

"We think caller ID was responsible for saving Mrs. Rodgers' life."

Patrick Townson

smb@hector.att.com (10/15/89)

I'd promised myself I wouldn't comment on this subject any more, but
this latest posting is much too inflammatory....

	 From:     TELECOM Moderator <telecom@eecs.nwu.edu>

I'm not sure if you can do this, given the login available to you, but
you should distinguish between your role as moderator and poster.  Most
of the time this doesn't matter, but when it does -- i.e., when there's
a controversial topic being discussed -- you should try to grant everyone
equal access to the debate.

	 For those of you who think Caller ID is the worst scourge to ever come
	 to the telephone industry, consider this case from Van Nuys, CA about
	 three weeks ago:

	 [deleted]

	 The autodialer was programmed to simply dial 911, which conneced to
	 the Emergency Services dispatcher at the Van Nuys, CA, Police and Fire
	 Department.

911 Caller ID service is conceptually very different than ordinary
Caller ID.  Note that I'm not speaking of the technical differences --
of which there are many -- I'm simply speaking of the benefit to society
of having the facility available.

	 [deleted]

	 He noted that prior to the installation of Caller ID, there had been
	 several objections to the service; 'violation of privacy' being the
	 major complaint.  Some people apparently felt they had the 'right' to
	 talk to the police anonymously, and that this 'right' superceded the
	 rights of the police and fire departments to administer their duties
	 effeciently and effectively.

	 "We think caller ID was responsible for saving Mrs. Rodgers' life."

``Efficiently.''  A marvelous word.  There are parts of the world
where the police can operate much more ``efficiently'' because there
are no (enforced) prohibitions against, say, beating suspects.  And
the ``legislature'' makes life even easier for the police by requiring
internal passports to travel within the country, official permission
to live in certain areas, and lots of nice vague ``crimes'' suitable
for arresting just about anyone.  Efficient, certainly.  But I don't
think I'd like to live there.

My point is not that Caller ID is or is not a good thing for emergency
services.  My point is that the issue is not that clear-cut.

Factual premise 1: A number of big cities, and the federal DEA, have
prosecuted numerous police officers for narcotics-related corruption.
Factual premise 2: Many drug dealers have shown no hesitation in
ordering the murder of community activists who have tried to shut down
their activities.  Question 1: if 911 calls have Caller-ID recorded
(and all such calls are recorded in most cities, I might note), what
are the odds on such a drug dealer bribing a cop to find out who made
a particular call?  Question 2: how many lives might that cost?

Please note carefully what I did and did not say above.  I did not say
there are no benefits to Caller ID for the police.  I did not say
anything at all about Caller ID for other purposes.  And I said
nothing at all about the desirability, or the lack thereof, of current
drug laws and policies.  All I said is that the issue is very far from
clear-cut, and that we should not blindly accept official
pronouncements on the subject.

		--Steve Bellovin
		smb@ulysses.att.com

johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us (John R. Levine) (10/16/89)

In article telecom-v09i0450m01 our Moderator writes:

>For those of you who think Caller ID is the worst scourge to ever come
>to the telephone industry, consider this case from Van Nuys, CA about
>three weeks ago [in which a small child dialed 911 and the dispatcher
>sent help based on the address display that E911 provides.]

Some of us left wing wackos who dislike the way that telcos are
introducing Caller ID think that 911 is a fine example of how Caller
ID should work.  If you dial 911, your call gets IDed.  If you dial
the cops' regular seven-digit number you don't get IDed.

Many people have made technically straightforward proposals to allow
ID to be turned on and off per call and per line.  I believe that if
the telcos implemented them you would see the opposition to Caller ID
disappear.  If you want not to answer calls from phones that don't
provide ID, that's fine, I'll send a postcard.

As has been noted here before, Enhanced 911 is technically different
from the Caller ID that has caused all of the argument.  As far as I
know, no telco proposes to provide the calling phone number's address
to Caller ID users like they do to 911.

By the way, I called American Express last week to argue about my
bill.  Amex has been reported to have an 800 version of Caller ID that
looks up the phone number of each call and translates it to the
caller's card number.  When the person who answered asked me for my
card number, I asked whether she could tell it from my phone number
and she said she couldn't.  Either she was lying or they've turned it
off.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us, {spdcc|ima|lotus}!esegue!johnl

langz@asylum.sf.ca.us (Lang Zerner) (10/16/89)

Patrick--

Unlike some who object to the idea of a moderator editorializing, I
support your position that your opinion is as valuable to a discussion
as is anyone else's, and that therefore you have not only the right,
but a moral obligation to state your views (so long as you are
cognizant of and responsibe with the added weight they carry by virtue
of your position).  As long as you are careful not to take action
which might curtail others' expression of their (possibly opposing)
views, there is little sound argument against your expressiion of your
own.

However, after your recent request that telecom readers refrain from
posting on the merits and disadvantages of Caller ID, I opine that it
was irresponsible of you to post your "Caller ID Saves A Life!"
article.  While it is an interesting news story, it is fairly obvious
that you posted it to advocate your personal position that Caller ID
is in the main a good thing.

By using your authority as moderator to enable the broadcast of your
personal view on a topic, after using that same authority to curtail
the broadcast of others' views, you have carelessly (I hope) neglected
you responsibility as moderator to maintain a realistic and honest
presentation of the views of the Usenet telecom community.

If you feel it beneficial (as I agree it was in the case of the Caller
ID debate) to request curtailment of a discussion here, I hope that in
the future you will take the pill along with the rest of us.

With respect,
Lang Zerner

langz@asylum.sf.ca.us   UUCP:bionet!asylum!langz   ARPA:langz@athena.mit.edu
"...and every morning we had to go and LICK the road clean with our TONGUES!"

[Moderator's Note: Yes, I know I said Caller ID had occupied a huge
amount of space here; and yes, I did suggest some time back it was
time to move on to other things. But frankly, if the microcosm of
society which makes up Digest readership is any indication, Caller ID
is going to be a hot topic for the next few years. I really don't know
which way to go with the discussion. It does seem a shame not to touch
on 'Caller ID in the news' -- and we *will* be seeing more and more of
it in the news -- yet the very real practical limitations of a Digest
such as this preclude having the discussion go on and on forever. Be
assured though, that for every position or posture taken here, ample
space will be given to the 'loyal opposition'...whichever side of the
argument that is.  Thanks for writing.  PT]

telecom@eecs.nwu.edu (Patrick A. Townson) (10/16/89)

I printed all of the above message not because this is the Social
Issues Digest, but because I would not want Mr. Bellovin to think he
was being censored. He implies in his first paragraph that one is
unlikely to get a fair hearing or a chance to reply to a message since
I did not botber to run the 'change name' program here and convert
myself to Patrick Townson for the occassion.  Everyone who reads this
little Digest knows how bad I am about not allowing my critics the
time of day or space in the Digest to reply.

The item in particular appeared in several newspapers last week,
including both the [Chicago Tribune] and the [Chicago Sun Times]. In
addition, it was sent to me by the press clip service I use (yes, I
take this Digest rather seriously, and I keep up on news relating to
telecommunicatons.)  I feel as moderator I would be derelict in not
printing an item when it had been considered newsworthy by other
media. It was a story that I, in my editorial judgment, considered
worth repeating here.

Mr. Bellovin, and another recent correspondent who forbade me to print
his letter or mention his name point out rightfully that Caller ID
when offered as a CLASS feature is different than when the same
information is afforded the police in a 911 conversation. Yes and no.
There are some technical differences, but the end result is the same:
The caller is identified to the callee. And there are some remarkable
similarities between the two as well. Some of you must surely recall,
in your own communities, as I do in Chicago, how bitterly the concept
of E-911 was fought by the same people who are fighting caller ID now
in the public realm. Just as some organization now is fighting in the
courts against Caller ID as a CLASS offering, the *very same
organization* (through its Chicago branch) fought in the courts to
prevent the police from having the name and number of the calling
party back in 1973.

So I think we split hairs and pick nits when we say caller ID as a
CLASS offering is 'not the same as' caller ID when emergency services
get the information. Caller ID is caller ID is caller ID. Either the
caller is identified in some way to the callee, or he is not. It may
be some folks who otherwise disapprove of caller ID for the public do
not object to it when the police have the information, but we are
still talking about the same basic thing.

In community after community, when Enhanced 911 service has been
installed or regular 911 converted to E-911, there have been
complaints regarding violations of privacy, just as today the
complaints are made. Van Nuys, CA was no exception. There were people
there (maybe still are?) who strongly objected to it.

I do not make Official Pronouncements here. I quote news, offer my own
opinions, and *usually* entertain the views of others. I think I
posted that story Sunday morning by prefacing it saying, "this has
been in the papers lately'.....so what would Mr. Bellovin have me to
do? Print nothing that might express an opinion? His complaint, along
with Nameless, who forbade me to identify him should direct their
comments about the matter to the authorities in Van Nuys, CA....that
is who was in the news.

TELECOM Digest is here to provide a forum for *all aspects* of
telephones.  Technical, social, political, consumer-oriented. The day
I metamorphose into God on High and refuse to print alternative
viewpoints is the day Mr. Bellovin and Nameless have valid complaints,
with me at least.

Patrick Townson

john@zygot.ati.com (John Higdon) (10/16/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0450m01@vector.dallas.tx.us>, telecom@eecs.nwu.edu
(TELECOM Moderator) writes:

> He noted that prior to the installation of Caller ID, there had been
> several objections to the service; 'violation of privacy' being the
> major complaint.  Some people apparently felt they had the 'right' to
> talk to the police anonymously, and that this 'right' superceded the
> rights of the police and fire departments to administer their duties
> effeciently and effectively.

This, of course, is a bogus argument of the first order. From the San
Jose Pac*Bell telephone directory under the heading "911" (and I'm sure
included in every directory issued from Pac*Bell):

"Notice!

_Dialing 9-1-1 and Your Privacy_

When reporting an emergency by dialing 9-1-1, your number (including
non-published number) and address may be automatically displayed on a
viewing screen. This information enables the emergency agency to
quickly locate you if the call is interrupted.

If you do not wish to have your telephone number and address
displayed, use the appropriate 7-digit emergency number."

Very simply, if you want to remain anonymous, don't dial 9-1-1.

    john@zygot.ati.com      | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

William Berbenich (WBERBENI@gtri01.bitnet) (10/16/89)

   For those who wish to phone anonymously, most emergency services
still maintain a regular CO line. Here in Atlanta, where 911 does not
yet have full metropolitan area coverage, that option is still
possible. Prior to my move to Atlanta from Mountain View, California,
that option was possible <but not publicized by Pac Bell or EMS>. The
way I was able to obtain the number was by calling Pac Bell and
explaining that I wanted to program my autodialer with the number -
the only trouble was that the autodialer would only accept either 7,
10, or 11 digits into its storage <three digit 911 would not store>
and I therefore needed the 7 digit number. Pac Bell gave it to me, I
dutifully programmed it in, and the autodialer was ready to summon
help for my household - however, were I able to call EMS but not able
to speak, help would have been seriously delayed.

wberbeni@gtri01.gatech.edu
Georgia Inst. of Technology

[Moderator's Note: If your autodialer's only objection is the lack of
seven digits -- as opposed to the digits '911' themselves (for
example, IBT speed dialing won't permit 911, 411 and certain others), --
then you can use filler digits of the form, '911-1111' or '911-####'
to make the quota required. The network will start processing the call
after the 911 is dialed, and the last four filler digits will have been
given out long before the PD comes on the line anyway; no one will be
offended by extra beeps in their ear.  PT]

lear@net.bio.net (Eliot Lear) (10/17/89)

I'd like to commend Steve for once again demonstrating that one of the
hottest issues of the early seventies is still with us today - the
individual's ``right'' to privacy.  I don't propose to argue those
rights, now.

How can Caller ID be offered so that it does not intrude on the
individual's right to privacy?  When in doubt, allow configurability.
Avoid making policy decisions in implementation, but allow for them in
the future.  It would be nice if phone companies would give the
individual the option, up to any particular phone call, whether caller
id should be given, as well as what the default should be.

The win, here, is that individuals will be able to decide which is
more important, and when.  The lose, of course, is that if they pick
the wrong default and forget about it, Van Nuys would be just another
tragedy; or in Steve's example, some cop would end up a little richer
at the expense of another's well being.

Eliot Lear
[lear@net.bio.net]

rogerk@decwrl.dec.com (Roger B.A. Klorese) (10/17/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0452m06@vector.dallas.tx.us> telecom@eecs.nwu.edu
(Patrick A. Townson) responds sarcastically to Steve Bellovin:

>He implies in his first paragraph that one is
>unlikely to get a fair hearing or a chance to reply to a message since
>I did not botber to run the 'change name' program here and convert
>myself to Patrick Townson for the occassion.  Everyone who reads this
>little Digest knows how bad I am about not allowing my critics the
>time of day or space in the Digest to reply.

I don't know, I read the following paragraph and didn't notice
anything like what you claim you see, Patrick:

>> I'm not sure if you can do this, given the login available to you, but
>> you should distinguish between your role as moderator and poster.  Most
>> of the time this doesn't matter, but when it does -- i.e., when there's
>> a controversial topic being discussed -- you should try to grant everyone
>> equal access to the debate.

Steve made the simple request that you should change your login name,
if possible, when participating in a discussion, so that your opinions
don't seem like the blessed consensus of the Digest.  Nowhere was he
anywhere near as condescending as you, and you trivialize his
concerns.  He was not claiming that you were denying access (although
your little explanation, which I omitted, about why you forwarded
Steve's message indicates that you are in fact doing so: his message
should not have appeared so he shouldn't think you were stifling him,
it should have appeared because it is important).

As for the subject matter, your entire thesis seems to reduce that the
concern of individuals for their constitutional rights is trivial in
the face of a facility that saves lives.

The case can be made that everything from in-home police surveillance
to drunk-driver roadblocks to searches of random black men walking
through white suburbs either has or could potentially save lives.  The
truth is that the cost factors are often the other way around: not
that freedoms must be sacrificed to save individual lives, but that
sometimes and unfortunately, lives are the necessary cost of
maintaining our freedoms, even innocent lives.

ROGER B.A. KLORESE
MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.  phone: +1 408 720-2939 928 E. Arques Ave.
Sunnyvale, CA 94086 rogerk@mips.COM {ames,decwrl,pyramid}!mips!rogerk
"I want to live where it's always Saturday."  -- Guadalcanal Diary

bluefire@lll-crg.llnl.gov (Bob Jacobson) (10/17/89)

Caller ID for 911-E (enhanced) services has never been a source of
controversy.  California state law explicitly provides for the
sharing of personal telephone information, including telephone
numbers, with emergency service providers via the 911 service.
Regrettably, in many rural areas, telephone providers -- particularly
the larger firms, Pacific Bell and GTE California -- have not yet
upgraded their systems to provide 911-E.

It is unlikely that a call to Sears or American Express is going
to save someone's life.  Oh, wait:  I can just envisage a teenage
girl now, screaming at her parents, "I've just got to call and
order those new jeans or I'm going to die!"  Thank goodness for
Call ID: next time, the department store can anticipate this need
and mail out a solicitation to the family.  How nice.

rogerk@decwrl.dec.com (Roger B.A. Klorese) (10/18/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0454m03@vector.dallas.tx.us> johnl@esegue.segue.
boston.ma.us writes:

>Some of us left wing wackos who dislike the way that telcos are
>introducing Caller ID think that 911 is a fine example of how Caller
>ID should work.  If you dial 911, your call gets IDed.  If you dial
>the cops' regular seven-digit number you don't get IDed.

 ...but in many areas it is difficult, if not impossible to reach an
Emergency Services Dispatch Center with a seven-digit number.  In
Boston, for example, we were told that if we called the seven-digit
number for the local police station, they could not guarantee
emergency response.

ROGER B.A. KLORESE
MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.
phone: +1 408 720-2939
928 E. Arques Ave.  Sunnyvale, CA 94086
rogerk@mips.COM {ames,decwrl,pyramid}!mips!rogerk "I want to live
where it's always Saturday."  -- Guadalcanal Diary

[Moderator's Note: But the theory is, if you have a dire emergency --
which is the *only* valid reason for calling 911 -- then you obviously
will want the police/fire/paramedic people to be able to immediatly
locate you with your emergency circumstances. If all you want to do is
call 911 to snitch on your neighbors, or report your car stolen, these
are not *emergency* problems, and you should be using the seven digit
administrative number.  Here in Chicago a huge number of calls to 911
are not *emergencies* at all, but simple complaints or requests to
file police reports, etc. 911 is only to be used when *immediate*
intervention is required to save a life or report a crime in progress,
or a fire going on *now*, etc.  And for those conditions, how could
anyone object to being immediatly identified and assisted?  PT]

rune.johansen%odin.re.nta.uninett@nac.no (Rune Henning Johansen) (10/20/89)

I'm quite sure that the fire department in Oslo uses "caller ID" for
emergency calls. In addition to the obvious safety-reason already
mentioned, there is another advantage: They can also avoid and/or
detect false alerts.

	<rune.johansen@odin.re.nta.uninett>

[Moderator's Note: When 911 was implemented here over ten years ago,
the false-alarm rate (at least the malicious ones) dropped to almost
zero. For many years, the Chicago Fire and Police Departments were
plagued with malicious false-alarms. Typically the Fire Department
responded to over two dozen false (or do you say phalse? [smiling
sweetly :-)] ) alarms *daily*. Police responded to many more, some of
which were simply malicious attempts to lure a police officer into a
dangerous situation. As some people began finding out the hard way
that there were no more games with the phone, these ugly activities
virtually ceased. We still get a tiny number of false-alarms, mostly
from people unaware of how it works; usually children playing.  PT]

bluefire@lll-crg.llnl.gov (Bob Jacobson) (10/22/89)

If Caller ID is such a hog in a conference dedicated to discussions of
telephone technology, why not put it in a soc.privacy conference?  On
the other hand, maybe because it is the central issue in the developing
telecom industry, putting *everything* in another conference would
really turn us into policy ostriches, no?

I don't think it's "splitting hairs" to note that Caller ID as a
commercial service is quite different from 911-E emergency service.
Technology is more than the sum of its parts, and how a technology is
used determines what we think about it and how we regulate its use.
This type of critical discrimination is essential to wise technology
assessment and the moderator of a conference so much in the middle of
things should be able to exercise it well.

The new Caller ID law recently enacted in CA permits a user to block
ID display on a call by call basis.  However, it only blocks display,
not carriage of the identifying information.  Thus, the local pizza
delivery boy may not get your phone number if you block, but the
telecom manager at Mr. Pizza will be able to provide corporate HQ with
a list of all calls made to all of the local shops, with identifying
data.  Pretty soon we're gonna have pizzas designed by neighborhood
taste.  I hope I live among the pepperoni lovers.

[Moderator's Note: Responding specifically to the third paragraph of
Mr. Jacobson's letter, and in general to the rest, I would remind all
readers that a series of articles in the Telecom Archives discusses
Caller ID in a pizza delivery application. During September, 1988,
RISKS published a series of articles, including two from myself,
debating the merits of Caller ID. Will Martin kindly forwarded this to
the Archives on 9-14-88, and it is filed as 'pizza.auto.nmbr.id'. Use
'ftp cs.bu.edu' to get your copy. Log in anonymous, use a non-null
password, then 'cd telecom-archives' and pull the file.  PT]