[comp.dcom.telecom] Keep at Least One Rotary Phone

OLE@csli.stanford.edu (Ole J. Jacobsen) (10/21/89)

In the wake of the earthquake I have been having problems getting
through to a friend in Ben Lomond near Santa Cruz. Dialling the number
usually results in a fast busy. One trick I learned from the UK is to
dial the number slowly with a rotary phone. Amazingly it seems to work
here too.  Perhaps the slow dialling results in a "pass on" to the
next switch, the way the UK phone system was described here a while
ago. I am not insisting that this is the case here, I honestly do not
know, but what I report is true. Any explanations would be much
appreciated, and I will always keep a rotary dial phone handy.

Ole

john@zygot.ati.com (John Higdon) (10/22/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0466m02@vector.dallas.tx.us>, OLE@csli.stanford.edu
(Ole J. Jacobsen) writes:

> In the wake of the earthquake I have been having problems getting
> through to a friend in Ben Lomond near Santa Cruz. Dialling the number
> usually results in a fast busy. One trick I learned from the UK is to
> dial the number slowly with a rotary phone. Amazingly it seems to work

This might work *from* a SXS (which is what I believe Ben Lomond still
is) but would have absolutely no effect from any crossbar or
electronic office, digital or analog. Touch tone is converted to
rotary pulses for a SXS office and it is remotely possible that things
could be busy enough that vacant levels would be found only at the end
of switch travel and the converter might not wait long enough whereas
your slow dialing might. But when dialing into a SXS office from a
common control office, you have absolutely no control over the pulse
rate.

If you were dialing from the metro Bay Area, you were using a common
control office, there being no SXS left anywhere in the greater Bay
Area. And if so, what you experienced was coincidence.

    john@zygot.ati.com      | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !