[comp.dcom.telecom] Parsing Dialed Digits

PCRABLE@eecs.nwu.edu (VAX WIZZ) (10/04/89)

Hi out there in telephone land...

I'm hoping one of you telephone experts can help me with this problem.
I am dealing with a string of numbers returned by a PBX with Call Data
Reporting.  What I need to do is divide the string into three separate
numbers: area_code, exchange and extension.  I can parse the digits
fine for calls to the US, Canada, and Mexico. The problem comes with
international calls.  I know to look for the country code after the
011 international access code. (The access code is 011 in New York,
right?)  How can I tell whether to take the next two or the next three
digits as the country code ?

Any suggestions are welcome...

Phil Crable                              PPPPPPP   BBBBBBB    SSSSSS
Public Broadcasting Service (PBS)        P      P  B      B  S      S
Computer Services Dept.                  P      P  B      B  S
1320 Braddock Place                      PPPPPPP   BBBBBBB    SSSSSS
Alexandria, VA  22314                    P         B      B         S
                                         P         B      B  S      S
(703) 739-5052                           P         BBBBBBB    SSSSSS
 ...!uunet!vrdxhq!pbs!pcrable

   Don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see...

jjd@necis.nec.com (Jeff DeSantis) (10/20/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0429m04@vector.dallas.tx.us> vrdxhq!pbs!PCRABLE@eecs.
nwu.edu (VAX WIZZ) writes:

> How can I tell whether to take the next two or the next three
>digits as the country code ?

It depends on the first two digits.

If the first two digits are a valid country code, then you do not have
to look at the third digit.

For example, if the first two digits are 44, you know you have a call
to the United Kingdom.

Another approach would be to consider all country codes to consist of
three digits.  In this case all 44X (440-449) country codes would be
calls to the United Kingdom.

Either approach requires maintaining a list of country codes against
which you can verify the call's country code.

tanner@ki4pv.uucp (Dr. T. Andrews) (10/22/89)

)> How can I tell whether to take the next two or the next three
)> digits as the country code ?
) It depends on the first two digits.
) If the first two digits are a valid country code, then you do not have
) to look at the third digit.

Sorry, this doesn't work.  Some country codes (mainly for toy
countries) are special cases of others.  Consider "countries" like the
Vatican (looks like a particular exchange in Rome Italy) or San
Marino.  You have to examine rather a lot of digits to decide whether
the call is to Rome Italy or the Vatican.

I believe that the list of country codes posted here some time ago
also listed several French-speaking island countries as having country
codes which started with the French 2 digits and were followed by
another digit or two to specify the country.

 ...!bikini.cis.ufl.edu!ki4pv!tanner  ...!bpa!cdin-1!ki4pv!tanner
or...  {allegra attctc gatech!uflorida uunet!cdin-1}!ki4pv!tanner