[comp.dcom.telecom] Disaster Communications

ijk@violin.att.com (Ihor J Kinal) (10/18/89)

Watching the news reports, it was interesting to note that ABC managed
to have power and communciations sufficient to broadcast out.  It was
obvious that power was out, since the blimp shots showed no lights,
except for autos on the highways, so it wasn't unexpected that most
phone lines were down or overloaded.

One of the networks called the CHiP, and they stated that they had
lost phone communications with most of their sites in the area, so
they were unable to give damage estimates.

I WAS SURPRISED THAT THE STATE POLICE DON'T HAVE BACKUP COMMUNICATIONS.

Something on the nature of meteor-bounce communications [I've read
recent articles that even trucks on their cross-country trips can
communicate back to their base with something like this].  It's low
band-width, so you store a message, and the equipment waits for a
short time period until a meteor shower occurs, but aparently the wait
is never long.  It would appear to be the ultimate backup, as long as
the radio itself is not buried.

Speaking of communications, ABC constantly showed us the same picture
from the blimp that was there to cover the ball game.  My wife asked a
very good question - why not send the blimp south towards the
epicenter, to give a direct report???  Given the state of highways,
etc, it would obviously get there quicker than anything except a
helicopter, and presumably most of those were engaged in local
disaster relief.

Ihor Kinal
att!cbnews!ijk
<include standard disclaimers>

illgen@hq.af.mil (Keneth..Illgen) (10/19/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0459m01@vector.dallas.tx.us> ijk@violin.att.com (Ihor
J Kinal) writes:

>One of the networks called the CHiP, and they stated that they had
>lost phone communications with most of their sites in the area, so
>they were unable to give damage estimates.

>I WAS SURPRISED THAT THE STATE POLICE DON'T HAVE BACKUP COMMUNICATIONS.

     I can't speak for CHiP but in most instances emergency services
backup communications systems are prioritized. Radio traffic is
initialy used for determining injuries and hospiital space. While the
networks are rightfully interested in physically damaged areas the
police, fire and medical departments have to use their limited
frequency range to coordinate rescue efforts.

>Speaking of communications, ABC constantly showed us the same picture
>from the blimp that was there to cover the ball game.  My wife asked a
>very good question - why not send the blimp south towards the
>epicenter, to give a direct report???

     I was very frustrated with all the network coverage being focused
on S.F. and Oakland. My loved ones are in San Jose and Palo Alto. I
understand that S.F. is the major media center and naturally the best
base of operations. Regarding the blimp; it's a slow moving craft and
would not have made it far enough south before darkness set it. I
think ABC and/or Goodyear made the right decision to keep it in the
S.F/Oakland area.

jim@eda.com (Jim Budler) (10/19/89)

ijk@violin.att.com (Ihor J Kinal) writes:

} One of the networks called the CHiP, and they stated that they had
} lost phone communications with most of their sites in the area, so
} they were unable to give damage estimates.

} I WAS SURPRISED THAT THE STATE POLICE DON'T HAVE BACKUP COMMUNICATIONS.

I don't know about the CHP themselves, but the general emergency
services backup system for the area was based on cellular telephones.
It didn't work.

Ref: Two local TV interviews with members of the Emergency Services.

Jim Budler	jim@eda.com    ...!{decwrl,uunet}!eda!jim
compuserve: 72415,1200     applelink: D4619
voice: +1 408 986-9585     fax: +1 408 748-1032

brian@ucsd.edu (Brian Kantor) (10/20/89)

There is a statewide police radio service in California, but it can
get congested easily and I recall seeing bulletins asking that it not
be used for anything but the highest-priority traffic in times of
emergency.

Much of it piggybacks on microwave circuits, some of which were not in
operation because of fallen or twisted towers and power problems.

The CERFnet, BARRNet, Calinet, and associated computer networks mostly
kept running throughout much of this, although there were some outages
due to power failures at a few key points, and coincidently a circuit
between Stanford and Berkeley had failed a couple of hours before the
quake hit.

We had communications from San Diego to Stanford and UC Santa Barbara
at all times; UC Santa Cruz came back online in a couple of hours once
they had their emergency power up, and UC Davis and UC Berkeley were
back early in the morning.  UC San Francisco was back on-line before
noon the following day.  The UC Office of the President in Oakland was
never offline.

Most of this network is T1, much of it over PacBell and MCI fiber,
with a few microwave links.  None of it is dialup, so this traffic did
not impact congested voice circuits.

The E-mail community was passing "health and welfare" sort of traffic
using electronic mail for much of the night, and I know that many
families slept easier that night because of the electronic mail
capabilities of the various computer networks.

Although I handled little of this traffic myself, I certainly saw lots
of it go through to the quake area.  In the last day or so, we've seen
a peak of more than 20% over our normal E-mail load, and we're as far
south in California as you can get - more than 400 miles away from the
quake.  I expect that's because we're well-connected and much of the
normal E-mail routing into the Bay Area is still in the process of
coming back online.

	- Brian

tad@ssc.UUCP (Tad Cook) (10/23/89)

Ihor Kahal asked why ABC didn't send the blimp south to survey damage.
I'll be that the blimp had to be line-of-site with a stationary truck
with a dish that could not track it over the horizon.

Tad Cook
tad@ssc.UUCP
MCI Mail: 328-8544
KT7H @ N7HFZ