[comp.dcom.telecom] "Disaster Authority"

jhf@cblpe.att.com (10/25/89)

In TELECOM Digest V9 #470, Joe Konstan <konstan@postgres.berkeley.edu> writes:

>BTW, why doesn't AT&T retain "disaster authority" over
>its lines, to prevent resellers from mishandling the situation and from
>using capacity that AT&T customers could use?

I don't think this is very feasible.  My understanding is that
"resellers" buy trunks that are "nailed up" via a DACS (or something
similar).

In order to reclaim capacity, AT&T would have to disconnect the
reseller in question.  I doubt this would sit very well with the FCC.

One thing that might change this is a new (to me, anyway) philosophy
that I've heard: all types of service should be handled by the normal
message network.  This would (I think) allow customers to use a
software defined network that would mimic a network of "nailed up"
trunks.  With an SDN, a customer would fall under the reign of network
controls.

Jeff Frontz                                              Work:  +1 614 860 2797
AT&T-Bell Labs (CB 1C-356)                               Cornet:       353-2797
att!jeff.frontz           jeff.frontz@att.com            Home:  +1 614 794 3986