[comp.dcom.telecom] The Lighter Side: Phone Number Jingles

bote@uunet.uu.net (John Boteler) (10/14/89)

In reference to our Illustrious Moderator's note about the jingle
helping the hapless telephone user to remember HUdson 3-2700, I was
reminded of the good ol' days and a story from my college psychology
instructor.

In discussing how our analog brains work, the subject of telephone
number jingles in advertisments came up. She pointed out how such a
simple device could jog our memories.

It must have worked because I have never forgotten this one.

Picture it: a small boy next to a huge pile of cookies with chocolate
around his mouth, and the jingle

"How many cookies did Andrew eat?

	 ANdrew 8-8000"

Any other neat ones?

Bote
Old & Improved path!: uunet!comsea!csense!bote
New & Improved path!: {zardoz|uunet!tgate|cos!}ka3ovk!media!cyclops!csense!bote

levin@bbn.com (Joel B Levin) (10/17/89)

>Picture it: a small boy next to a huge pile of cookies with chocolate
>around his mouth, and the jingle

>"How many cookies did Andrew eat?
>
>	 ANdrew 8-8000"

Wow.  You don't say what that was for, or where, it was used, but I
remember that phone number from radio commercials for a Boston area
carpet cleaner (or maybe seller).  Was that it?  Or were there more
than one metro areas with commercials plugging that same number for
local firms?

morris@jade.jpl.nasa.gov (Mike Morris) (10/17/89)

(John Boteler) writes:

>In discussing how our analog brains work, the subject of telephone
>number jingles in advertisments came up. She pointed out how such a
>simple device could jog our memories.

>It must have worked because I have never forgotten this one.

>Picture it: a small boy next to a huge pile of cookies with chocolate
>around his mouth, and the jingle

>"How many cookies did Andrew eat?
>
>	 ANdrew 8-8000"

While not a telephone number, or even a jingle, it reminded me of a
gag "memo" that was on the San Diego PD watch commanders bulletin
board one April 1st a number of years ago...

     Before I type what it said, a little info is necessary: Most
police departments use a "ten-code" on their 2-way radio: 10-1 means
"You're in a bad radio transmission location, I can't hear you",
"10-2" means "Your radio signal is good, go ahead", "10-4" is
"affirmative", "10-7" means "out of the car, away from the radio",
"10-8" means "In the car, available for assignment", etc.  There are
also the "Code" signals such as "Code 3" meaning that red lights and
siren are in use, "Code 4" meaning "Everything's OK, no assistance
required", "Code 7" meaning "Out of the car for lunch or dinner", etc.

The memo went something like:

     Units going 10-8 from Code-7 will use proper grammar!  No longer
will we be "10-8" we will be "10-EATEN"!

Since I was in San Diego only for one day (the April 1st of the memo),
I have no idea if "10-eaten" was used on the air...

Mike Morris                      UUCP: Morris@Jade.JPL.NASA.gov
                                 ICBM: 34.12 N, 118.02 W
#Include quote.cute.standard     PSTN: 818-447-7052
#Include disclaimer.standard     cat flames.all > /dev/null

jjd@necis.nec.com (Jeff DeSantis) (10/21/89)

>"How many cookies did Andrew eat?
>
>	 ANdrew 8-8000"
>
>Was that it?

Adams & Sweet, South Boston, Carpet Cleaners & Used Carpet Sales

cantor@proxy.enet.dec.com (David A. Cantor 24-Oct-1989 0857) (10/24/89)

 From Telecom Digest vol 9 iss 466:

>>"How many cookies did Andrew eat?
>>
>>	 ANdrew 8-8000"
>>
>>Was that it?

>Adams & Sweet, South Boston, Carpet Cleaners & Used Carpet Sales

No, it is Adams & Swett.   Two t's, one e.

Dave C.

rrw@cs.utexas.edu (Robert Wier) (10/26/89)

I remember a widely run tv commercial about 20 years ago (?)  by the
Sheraton Corporation advertising their toll-free reservation --> 800
325 3535.

There wasn't anything particulary humorous about this, they just had a
REALLY catchy tune to which the numbers were sung.  Plus since the
number was so redundant (lots of 3's and 5's) it could also be sung
somewhat in a round-robin fashion (like row, row, row your boat).  My
choral group in high school liked to sing this to get our music
teacher upset :-).

Coincidentally enough, I currently have one number which has a 325
prefix (although not the same suffix), and also one that has a 523
prefix.

I believe that the number is still in use, for Day's Inns now.  But
they don't use the old commercial (a shame...)

  - Bob Wier                             Northern Arizona University
   summer:Ouray, Colorado                 winter:Flagstaff, Arizona
   USENET: ...arizona!naucse!rrw  | BITNET: WIER@NAUVAX  | WB5KXH