[comp.dcom.telecom] Amazing Quake Stories

gaf@uucs1.uucp (10/21/89)

We heard from one of the traffic monitoring people at US West who
noticed something peculiar around 5:05 PM Tuesday.  He called his AT&T
counterpart in Oakland to see what was happening.  The call was
answered, and the conversation went something like:

"Hey, what's happening there?"

"We've got an earthquake here, and, .....  oh .....  there's a big
crack in the wall now .....  <buzzzzz>"

I'd heard that AT&T was on the 10th floor of some building in Oakland,
so I don't know how apocryphal this is.  Haven't heard of any
buildings that tall sustaining that kind of damage.

Guy Finney					It's that feeling of deja-vu
UUCS inc.   Phoenix, Az				all over again.
ncar!noao!asuvax!hrc!uucs1!gaf	sun!sunburn!gtx!uucs1!gaf

levin@bbn.com (Joel B Levin) (10/27/89)

>From: gaf@uucs1.uucp

>We heard from one of the traffic monitoring people at US West who
>noticed something peculiar around 5:05 PM Tuesday.  He called his AT&T
>counterpart in Oakland to see what was happening.  The call was
>answered, and the conversation went something like:

>"Hey, what's happening there?"

>"We've got an earthquake here, and, .....  oh .....  there's a big
>crack in the wall now .....  <buzzzzz>"

In 1971, when the Arpanet, the original component of the Internet, was
still young (approximately 16 IMPs, or packet switching nodes),
monitoring its state was still very ad hoc-- another engineer and I
periodically checked to see if any line states were changed or if any
IMPs had failed to send their one line status message to our local
teletype.  Remember, this was when networking-as-we-know-it was mostly
unheard of and remotely monitoring a private data circuit from a
location thousands of miles away from either terminus of the circuit
was a thing of the future.

One morning in August, around 9:05 am several of the lines terminating
in Los Angeles died, and with symptoms indicating it was not an IMP
that crashed.  After performing our usual tests, we called the Long
Lines number in Los Angeles.  We were informed that they had had an
earthquake, there were some cracks in the building, and it would be a
while before service was restored.  (It was only a few hours.)  Though
we had no details, we in Cambridge knew about the earthquake well in
advance of the news bulletins!

	/JBL