[comp.dcom.telecom] Allowing NXX Prefixes & Area Codes

cmoore@brl.mil (VLD/VMB) (10/20/89)

Based on notes arriving via TELECOM Digest, I have the following to
pass along:

416, Ontario, 1989? (need area code on toll calls within it)
919, North Carolina, 1989?  (need area code on toll calls within it)
313, Michigan, 1989? (1+ removed from 1+7D for toll calls within it)

When N0X/N1X area codes run out and NXX area codes become necessary, I
take it that that will be known, too.  (For example, 1+7D is still in
use in Delaware.  Where area codes and prefixes can use the same 3
digits, it is necessary for leading 1 to mean that "what follows is an
area code", and use of NXX area codes would force that meaning of
leading 1 into use in areas not already having it, right?)

goudreau@dg-rtp.dg.com (Bob Goudreau) (10/26/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0463m10@vector.dallas.tx.us> cmoore@brl.mil (VLD/VMB)
writes:

>Based on notes arriving via TELECOM Digest, I have the following to
>pass along:

>919, North Carolina, 1989?  (need area code on toll calls within it)

A blurb I saw in the local paper a while ago mentioned that 11-digit
intra-NPA long-distance dialing would replace 8-digit LD in all of NC
starting early in 1990.  This supposedly applies to *both* 919 and
704, and to all telcos (Southern Bell, GTE, Carolina Telephone, and a
host of little Mom & Pop operations).

No mention of when 919 (which is getting fairly full) is scheduled to
split, or how it would be split.  Anyone care to speculate on who will
get left out in the cold (i.e., the new NPA) when this does happen?
It isn't an obvious split (like, say, 617/508) since 919's two largest
urban areas (Raleigh/Durham and Greensboro/Winston-Salem) have roughly
the same population but are about 80 miles apart.  If one urban area
has to get assigned to the new NPA, which one is it?  The alternative
would be to leave *both* of them in 919, thus potentially making both
919 and the new NPA exceedingly contorted, perhaps like 619 in
California.

Now, on a completely different note...

Does anyone out there know why "011" was chosen as the international
access code here in the North American Numbering Plan?  If it were up
to me, I'd probably pick "11" instead (i.e., "1" for long distance and
"11" for *very* long distance, the way many European countries use "0"
and "00").  Is there currently some special meaning assigned to "11"?

Bob Goudreau				+1 919 248 6231
Data General Corporation		...!mcnc!rti!xyzzy!goudreau
62 Alexander Drive			goudreau@dg-rtp.dg.com
Research Triangle Park, NC  27709, USA

cmoore@brl.mil (VLD/VMB) (10/26/89)

So 704 is far less full than 919?  Also requiring 11-digit intra-NPA
long-distance in 704 is along the "statewide uniformity" lines of what
was done in New Jersey (in NJ, there is a case of 7D local calls from
609 area to an exchange area having N0X/N1X in 201).

But in Virginia, 703 has 11-digit intra-NPA long-distance and 804
still has 8-digit.  703 (and 301, which covers all of Maryland)
includes DC area suburbs, and the DC area had to get N0X/N1X prefixes.

Afterthought: I believe San Diego, CA is a big urban area in its
own right.  However, it was put in area 619 when 714 was split.

levin@bbn.com (Joel B Levin) (10/27/89)

>From: Bob Goudreau <goudreau@dg-rtp.dg.com>

>Does anyone out there know why "011" was chosen as the international
>access code here in the North American Numbering Plan?  If it were up
>to me, I'd probably pick "11" instead (i.e., "1" for long distance and
>"11" for *very* long distance, the way many European countries use "0"
>and "00").  Is there currently some special meaning assigned to "11"?

In olden days (e.g. the sixties), in many places Information (remember
that?) was 113, Repair was 114, and Long Distance was 110... as I
recall.  Probably when 011 was selected some areas were still using
these older numbers, or at least they were still reserved.

	/JBL

rmadison@euler.berkeley.edu (Linc Madison) (10/28/89)

In the list of area codes and NXX's posted here recently, the number
given for 312 was 769.  I'm rather shocked by this figure if it's
correct -- even if the figure of 769 includes reserved NXX's like 555,
950, etc., that leaves only 15 available.  That sort of brinksmanship
with the phone system is rather unusual.  Are you sure it wasn't 679
instead of 769?

[784 NXX's are possible = 8*10*10 - N11/N00; as I said, this doesn't
account for other "special case" reserved prefixes like 555, 950, 976,
and in some areas 970, 540, etc.  All the N11 and N00 are reserved.
Here in California, for example, we can dial 811-4094 from any
Pac*Bell phone in the state and talk to Pac*Bell billing for Berkeley
numbers, toll-free.]

  Linc Madison   =   rmadison@euler.berkeley.edu