[comp.dcom.telecom] Caller ID at American Express

croll@wonder.enet.dec.com (10/17/89)

At the risk of being the straw that broke the camel's back...

In Telecom V9:454, John Levine (johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us) writes:

>By the way, I called American Express last week to argue about my
>bill.  Amex has been reported to have an 800 version of Caller ID that
>looks up the phone number of each call and translates it to the
>caller's card number.  When the person who answered asked me for my
>card number, I asked whether she could tell it from my phone number
>and she said she couldn't.  Either she was lying or they've turned it
>off.

I remember reading in Forbes (I think, it was some time ago) that
American Express Customer Services folks used to greet callers by name
as they answered the phone, taking advantage of the features of the
800 version of Caller ID to automatically look up the caller's
account.  They no longer do this, because it was so disconcerting to
their customers.  They received so many complaints from enough people
that they either turned it off, or instructed their people to no
longer say anything about it.  The article didn't say explicitly
whether they had turned it off, however.

 From this, my own conclusion is that the reaction to caller ID isn't
so much the explicit invasion of privacy as the fear that Big Brother
is always watching.  I know that this is just about the same thing,
but there is a difference between the abstract feeling that your
privacy isn't perfect and having your nose rubbed in it every time you
make a phone call.  After all, many times when you call someone you
wind up telling them who you are, anyway; having them greet you with
your name before you even get a word out is, to say the least,
disconcerting.  It puts the control of the conversation immediately
into the callee's hands, instead of the caller's.

John

bill@toto.UUCP (Bill Cerny) (10/18/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0454m03@vector.dallas.tx.us>, John R. Levine writes:

> By the way, I called American Express last week to argue about my
> bill.  Amex has been reported to have an 800 version of Caller ID that
> looks up the phone number of each call and translates it to the
> caller's card number.  When the person who answered asked me for my
> card number, I asked whether she could tell it from my phone number
> and she said she couldn't.  Either she was lying or they've turned it
> off.

When American Express starting routing their Megacom traffic over the
primary rate interface (PRI), they also subscribed to Calling Number
Delivery (no monthly, just 3 cents per number delivered).  When the
agents answered, "Good morning Mr. Goldberg, how may I help you?" the
customers were awestruck, and wanted to know how they knew their
identity before answering the call.

This resulted in much more time wasted than was saved thru
auto-retrieval of the account with CND.  I was told that AmEx changed
the script for their agents: greet, ask for the acct. number (verify
it with what's already on the screen), and say, "Yes Mr. Goldberg, I
have your records right here..."  The agents are discouraged to
discuss any of the wizardry of the new system, since AmEx's purpose
for subscribing to CND is to save time.

Bill Cerny		"The cost of living just went up another $1 a fifth."
Internet: bill@toto.cts.com					- W. C. Fields

ben@sybase.com (ben ullrich) (10/20/89)

> By the way, I called American Express last week to argue about my
> bill.  Amex has been reported to have an 800 version of Caller ID that
> looks up the phone number of each call and translates it to the
> caller's card number.  When the person who answered asked me for my
> card number, I asked whether she could tell it from my phone number
> and she said she couldn't.  Either she was lying or they've turned it
> off.

I doubt they've turned it off.  They'll always ask for your account
number for identity verification, just as they ask for your name after
getting your account number.

I've noticed that most of the time, I don't hear any typing or delays
as I give them my account number, as if they are reading it on their
screen instead of typing it in.  I should test this by calling in on
my unlisted number sometime, and see if the response is any different
from when I call from my other, listed number, the one that appears on
their records.

ben ullrich	       consider my words disclaimed,if you consider them at all
sybase, inc., emeryville, ca	"When you deal with human beings, a certain
+1 (415) 596 - 3500	        amount of nonsense is inevitable." - mike trout
ben@sybase.com			       {pyramid,pacbell,sun,lll-tis}!sybase!ben

langz@asylum.sf.ca.us (Lang Zerner) (10/20/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0454m03@vector.dallas.tx.us> johnl@esegue.segue.
boston.ma.us writes:

>[American Express] has been reported to have an 800 version of Caller ID that
>looks up the phone number of each call and translates it to the
>caller's card number.  When the person who answered asked me for my
>card number, I asked whether she could tell it from my phone number
>and she said she couldn't.  Either she was lying or they've turned it
>off.

I recall having read a few little "FYI" type articles in various
technical and marketing trade rags that said Amex got a lot of nasty
letters and calls from customers who were startled, perplexed, and/or
annoyed at Amex about the addition of the "service."

Apparently, someone at Amex marketing thought it would be friendlier
to answer the phone, "Good morning Mr. Zerner."  A lot of people
(myself included) thought it was pompous and not beneficial.  At least
one person encountered communication difficulties because he was
calling from another cardholder's phone.  Enough of these dissatisfied
customers wrote and called in nastygrams expressing their dislike of
Amex' use of the technology that Amex ended up pulling the idea.

I still have one or two of the articles floating around somewhere.  If
you're really interested, though, you'll probably get a faster
response from a commercial text-retrieval service or library CD
periodicals index.

Be seeing you...

Lang Zerner
langz@asylum.sf.ca.us   UUCP:bionet!asylum!langz   ARPA:langz@athena.mit.edu
"...and every morning we had to go and LICK the road clean with our TONGUES!"

klg@dukeac.UUCP (Kim Greer) (10/26/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0464m06@vector.dallas.tx.us> langz@asylum.UUCP (Lang
Zerner) writes:

>In article <telecom-v09i0454m03@vector.dallas.tx.us> johnl@esegue.segue.

>>[American Express] has been reported to have an 800 version of Caller ID that

>I recall having read a few little "FYI" type articles in various
>technical and marketing trade rags that said Amex got a lot of nasty
>letters and calls from customers who were startled, perplexed, and/or
>annoyed at Amex about the addition of the "service."

>Apparently, someone at Amex marketing thought it would be friendlier
>to answer the phone, "Good morning Mr. Zerner."  A lot of people
>(myself included) thought it was pompous and not beneficial.  At least
>one person encountered communication difficulties because he was
>calling from another cardholder's phone.  Enough of these dissatisfied
>customers wrote and called in nastygrams expressing their dislike of
>Amex' use of the technology that Amex ended up pulling the idea.

  Actually, I would prefer that a company that is dealing with my
money, would be able to be able to tell who I am.  With phone fraud as
rampant as it is, I encourage technology that will allow Amex or
whoever to filter out spooks trying to weasal out info/money of mine.
I prefer that a company that I'm dealing with to have instantly
available information concerning my address/phone#/etc.  (NOTE: I did
not say that I prefer every XYZ Corp. to have it, just the ones I deal
with).  This saves having to waste time having someone re-type in my
name/address/location/ account#/etc every time I call them.

Kim Greer
Duke Univ Med Ctr
klg@orion.mc.duke.edu

deej@bellcore.bellcore.com (David Lewis) (10/29/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0475m07@vector.dallas.tx.us>, klg@dukeac.UUCP (Kim
Greer) writes:

> In article <telecom-v09i0464m06@vector.dallas.tx.us> langz@asylum.UUCP (Lang
> Zerner) writes:

> >In article <telecom-v09i0454m03@vector.dallas.tx.us> johnl@esegue.segue.
>
> >>[American Express] has been reported to have an 800 version of Caller ID

> >Apparently, someone at Amex marketing thought it would be friendlier
> >to answer the phone, "Good morning Mr. Zerner."  A lot of people
> >(myself included) thought it was pompous and not beneficial.  At least
> >one person encountered communication difficulties because he was
> >calling from another cardholder's phone.  Enough of these dissatisfied
> >customers wrote and called in nastygrams expressing their dislike of
> >Amex' use of the technology that Amex ended up pulling the idea.

First, technical commentary.  AT&T offers a service which I believe is
called Account Match (although I wouldn't swear to it, and it may be a
Service Mark if it is).  Customers who subscribe to AT&T 800 service
and who have an AT&T PBX can get a direct trunk connection from the
AT&T Point of Termination to their AT&T PBX.  Over this trunk
connection AT&T will deliver the ANI (Automatic Number Identification)
of the calling party.  The AT&T PBX can then send the ANI to an
attached application processor (which, surprise surprise, AT&T will be
happy to provide) which will do a database lookup and fetch the
account record corresponding to the calling ANI.

This is not *exactly* calling number delivery; instead, it's a service
built on ANI delivery.  Calling number = ANI for almost all
residential numbers; however, calling number != ANI for a large number
of moderately sized business numbers -- ANI is the *billing* number,
and many businesses have a single billing number defined for
centralized accounting.  Therefore, if you're calling from a Centrex
line, or from a PBX trunk, the ANI may be irrelevant to the calling
party number.  (If you're calling from a PBX, of course, the calling
number itself may be irrelevant unless the PBX sends it to the CO, and
I don't know if any do.)

Another note; I've heard that MCI is sponsoring/has sponsored an "ANI
Developer's Conference".  MCI will begin providing ANI to 800
customers in the near future, and wants to build a base of
applications like the above to offer as well.

In the anecdote I heard (from an unnamed source at AT&T Naperville),
the customer didn't cancel their service; they just instructed their
operators to stop greeting callers by their name and collecting their
name *first*, so they would present the appearance of using the name
to look up the account...

This story also allows us to launch into an exciting discussion of
bypass, if anyone is so moved...  Like, I hear from sources that AT&T
is offering ISDN PRI access from its long distance point of
termination to customers with AT&T PBXs and trying to steal a march on
the LECs...

Disclaimer:  AT&T?  What do I know from AT&T?  I work for Bellcore, and
*everyone* knows that there's no connection between AT&T and Bellcore.
(Hello, Judge Green!)

David G Lewis				...!bellcore!nvuxr!deej

			"If this is paradise, I wish I had a lawnmower."