[comp.dcom.telecom] Hacker Caught by Caller-ID?

phil@wubios.wustl.edu (J. Philip Miller) (10/26/89)

MIS Week (10/9) reports the aprehension of a 15-year old hacker who
used his Amiga personal computer to tap into two mincomputers at
Grumman.  The youngster was from Levittown, Long Island and stumbled
into the computer by using a random dialing device [sic] attached to
his computer.  Grumman security was able to detect the intrusions, and
the computer's recording of the boy's telephone number led police to
his home.

Does this imply that there are modems which will record Caller-ID, or does
anyone know what technology was used here?

While speaking of Caller-ID implementations, I have wondered whether paging
services utilize Caller-ID to send to digital pagers so that the callers do
not need to key their number in for display on the pager.

     J. Philip Miller, Professor, Division of Biostatistics, Box 8067
	 Washington University Medical School, St. Louis MO 63110
phil@wubios.WUstl.edu - Internet  (314) 362-3617   phil@wubios.wustl - bitnet
uunet!wucs1!wubios!phil - UUCP              C90562JM@WUVMD - alternate bitnet

[Moderator's Note: Yes, I think there are modem/Caller-ID devices in
one neat little box. A hackerphreak here in Chicago (six blocks down
the street from me, on Artesian Avenue to be exact!) was caught
burglarizing a computer at Bell Labs/Naperville about a year ago
because his phone number was captured by the equipment out there. Some
places *do* have this capability now, even if Caller-ID as such is not
being marketed to the public in many areas of the country. Its not
that the Sisters Bell don't treat all their subscribers equally; its
just that some subscribers are more equal than others. Bell Labs; AT&T
offices; all the in-laws get juicy extras not yet available to the
general public; as do some very large subscribers who ask nicely.
Regards using Caller-ID to feed digital pagers, I think it is a great
idea. I wonder if anyone has thought of it?  PT]

jimmy@icjapan.uucp (Jim Gottlieb) (10/29/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0472m03@vector.dallas.tx.us> "J. Philip Miller"
<phil@wubios.wustl.edu> writes:

>Does this imply that there are modems which will record Caller-ID, or does
>anyone know what technology was used here?

If a company is experiencing hackers, they can request the telephone
company to track all incoming calls to their modem lines (just like
other annoyance calls).  I suspect that this is how the hackers were
found, rather than through some Caller-ID/Modem device.

Jim Gottlieb 					Info Connections, Tokyo, Japan
       <jimmy@pic.ucla.edu> or <jimmy@denwa.uucp> or <attmail!denwa!jimmy>
Fax: (011)+81-3-239-7453           Voice Mail: (011)+81-3-944-6221 ID#82-42-424