[comp.dcom.telecom] Caller-ID for Pagers?

RS%AI.AI.MIT.EDU@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu (Robert E. Seastrom) (10/27/89)

In TELECOM Digest V9 #472, J. Philip Miller writes:

> While speaking of Caller-ID implementations, I have wondered whether paging
> services utilize Caller-ID to send to digital pagers so that the callers do
> not need to key their number in for display on the pager.

In TELECOM Digest V9 #472, Patrick Townson (Telecom Moderator) comments:

> Regards using Caller-ID to feed digital pagers, I think it is a great
> idea. I wonder if anyone has thought of it?  PT]

I would be really unhappy if the pager companies were to do this and
not allow for an override.  To give a few examples:

At Worldcon '89, I would page my roommate to see about plans for
dinner.  Since it wasn't terribly urgent, I didn't include a priority
code (see below) and paged him with *my* pager number.  Then, I didn't
have to stay right next to a particular pay phone and keep other
people from using it (I'd stay in the vicinity, so that I could call
back promptly, when he returned my page.  This would not be possible
if Caller-ID automatically ID'ed my phone for me...

In the main circle that I associate with, we have a set of agreed-upon
three-digit codes that can be appended to a phone number.  The 100
series identifies specific people; other codes mean specific things
(411=need information, 611=something's broken, 911=run, don't walk, to
the nearest phone and call immediately), unallocated 3-digit codes are
priority codes that tell how urgent it is that the call be returned,
200s meaning at your leisure, 800s meaning call ASAP.  If there
weren't an override on the number that Caller-ID sent out, it would be
impossible to add these codes to the end of the number we were paging
with.

                                        ---Rob

[Moderator's Note: Granted, it might be better to have the switch
answer and say, 'To default, press # now; else enter the desired
digits.'  PT]

ckd%bu-pub.BU.EDU@bu-it.bu.edu (Christopher K Davis) (10/27/89)

PT> [Moderator's Note: [...]  Regards using Caller-ID to feed digital
PT> pagers, I think it is a great idea. I wonder if anyone has thought of
PT> it?  PT]

It's not really that great.  For example, I often used my mother's
pager to tell her things she didn't need to call for -- (or couldn't, as
with pay phones that won't take incoming calls) like "The track meet's
over, come pick me up" or the like.  Usually I'd punch in my birthday
so she'd know it was me, and the "context" would make the message
clear.

Neat idea, but in practice, it's more useful to use arbitrary numbers.

dave@uunet.uu.net (Dave Levenson) (10/28/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0474m05@vector.dallas.tx.us>, RS%AI.AI.MIT.EDU@
mintaka.lcs.mit.edu (Robert E. Seastrom) writes:

> In TELECOM Digest V9 #472, J. Philip Miller writes:

> > While speaking of Caller-ID implementations, I have wondered whether paging
> > services utilize Caller-ID to send to digital pagers so that the callers do
> > not need to key their number in for display on the pager.

> In TELECOM Digest V9 #472, Patrick Townson (Telecom Moderator) comments:

> > Regards using Caller-ID to feed digital pagers, I think it is a great
> > idea. I wonder if anyone has thought of it?  PT]

> [Moderator's Note: Granted, it might be better to have the switch
> answer and say, 'To default, press # now; else enter the desired
> digits.'  PT]

No!!!  Use the Caller-Id default if the caller enters nothing at all.
Otherwise, let the caller enter the digital message to be displayed.
Believe it or not, there are still a few telephone subscribers who use
pulse-dial equipment.  Some smart business telephone systems prevent
their users from dialing extra digits for end-to-end signalling --
primitive but effective toll-diversion.  With the present radio paging
equipment, they cannot send any message at all!

Automatically-generated Caller*Id would be better than no ID at all,
wouldn't it?

Dave Levenson                Voice: (201) 647 0900
Westmark, Inc.               Internet: dave@westmark.uu.net
Warren, NJ, USA              UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
[The Man in the Mooney]      AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave

john@zygot.ati.com (John Higdon) (10/29/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0476m07@vector.dallas.tx.us>, westmark!dave@uunet.uu.
net (Dave Levenson) writes:

> No!!!  Use the Caller-Id default if the caller enters nothing at all.
> Otherwise, let the caller enter the digital message to be displayed.

This would solve one of the most frustrating problems a pager user can
face. How many times have you suddenly found your pager going off
repeatedly with no number in the display? Someone mistakenly gets your
pager number thinking it is perhaps an ordinary telephone number or
even someone else's pager number. Sometimes this can go on for days
and it renders your pager useless.

If the caller's number was put in the display as the default, you could
call them and inform them that they have a wrong number. As it is now,
you can only hope that they will figure out that the number they have
isn't doing them any good. And find it out soon!

    john@zygot.ati.com      | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

[Moderator's Note: Of course John, your plan, which sort of hints at using
a self-remedy to cure the problem would likely be rejected by those who
dislike or hate Caller-ID. They would say you have no right to know the
identity of the caller, particularly since the call was not intended
for you anyway. They would probably suggest you should be asking the telco
to trace those calls; and that the telco would then, in their good time
deal with the problem. Are you sure that finding out the identity of the
caller not-intending-to-reach you wouldn't be a violation of their privacy
or (ahem!) an 'illegal wire tap'?  PT]