[comp.dcom.telecom] Reasons

deej@bellcore.bellcore.com (David Lewis) (11/10/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0498m01@vector.dallas.tx.us>, varney@cbnewsd.ATT.COM
(Al Varney) writes:

> The rules in the LSSGR, etc. are there for a reason (too bad Bellcore
> doesn't give the reasons),

'Cause we're the phone company.  We Know What's Right.

(Joke!  Joke!)

>  One MAJOR casualty of divestiture is the
> knowledge base that knew WHY the specs said a particular thing.

Good point.  Both Bellcore and Bell Labs have people who were
instrumental in writing the specs for just about every CO switch built
and in designing the 1AESS and the 5ESS -- but the structure, the
interrelationships, the informal channels of communication that
capture so much of an organization's knowledge doesn't exist anymore.

David G Lewis				...!bellcore!nvuxr!deej

			"If this is paradise, I wish I had a lawnmower."