[comp.dcom.telecom] The Hottest Answering Machine

Lee_C._Moore.WBST128@xerox.com (10/10/89)

Because of a service person who went wild in my house, I am now
shopping for a new answering machine.  I am taking this opportunity to
by a top-of-the-line machine.  Is there any machine that is currently
considered the best, hottest or most feature-full (consumer) answering
machine?

If there is sufficient interest, I will summarize for the group.

Thanks,

Lee Moore -- Xerox Webster Research Center, Webster, NY, USA
Arpa Internet:	Moore.Wbst128@Xerox.Com
UUCP:		{allegra, rutgers, cornell}!rochester!rocksanne!lee
DDN:		+1 716 422 2496

peggy@ddsw1.mcs.com (Peggy Shambo) (10/15/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0440m05@vector.dallas.tx.us> Lee_C._Moore.WBST128@
xerox.com writes:

>Because of a service person who went wild in my house, I am now
>shopping for a new answering machine.  I am taking this opportunity to
>by a top-of-the-line machine.  Is there any machine that is currently
>considered the best, hottest or most feature-full (consumer) answering
>machine?

>If there is sufficient interest, I will summarize for the group.

Well, I don't know a heck of a lot about top-of-the-line answering
machines, but my curiosity has been piqued as to the nature of this
"service person" and what really happened to the old answering
machine.

Enquiring minds want to know.  Does this qualify for the "sufficient
interest" clause?  :-)

Peg Shambo           | Anybody know of any IDMS/ADSO positions in
peggy@ddsw1.mcs.com  | the South of England? (London, Southampton,
		     | Portsmouth, Bournemouth would all be nice)

crum%alicudi.usc.edu@usc.edu (Gary L. Crum) (10/19/89)

 From reading literature, it seems to me that a "hot" answering system
would be Teleflex, a "telephone handling system" that works with
Macintosh computers to interact with callers using touch-tone, sound
digitizing, voice synthesis and modem signaling.  Teleflex costs about
$3000 not including a host Macintosh.  It is programmable using a
graphical method -- a flow diagram with icons is created.  I don't
have one for my residence yet, but I would like to see such
sophisticated systems in homes.  You know, "Crum residence.  To page
Gary press 1.  To leave a voice message press 2.  To begin FAX
transmission press 3.  To connect with Gary's UNIX system press 4."

Do you people think that things like UUCP and FAX machines can deal
with pauses in their dialing sequences?  I hope so.  Call
(818)700-0510 for more information about Teleflex, and please tell
them that Gary Crum of USC referred you to them.  I am not currently
affiliated with the Magnum, the developer of Teleflex, but I would
really like to work on such products.

Gary

cy@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Cyril Bauer) (10/27/89)

I would sugest the Panasonic unit. I have tried a few and the easiest
and most reliable I have found is the Panasonic.  They make models
that do most everthing that you could possibly want to do. Take your
pick, they work.

UUCP: {amdahl!bungia, uunet!rosevax, crash}!orbit!pnet51!cy
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!cy@nosc.mil
INET: cy@pnet51.orb.mn.org

langz@asylum.SF.CA.US (Lang Zerner) (11/09/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0497m07@vector.dallas.tx.us> John Tsang <jgt@uhccux.
uhcc.hawaii.edu> writes:

>[The only "drawbacks" to certain Panasonic answering machines]
>are the outgoing message seemingly is too short of 1/2 min., which may
>not be enough for business operation announcement of operation hours
>and introduction, and, the annoying beep during 2-Side-Conversation-
>Recording.

On most machines using two cassettes (not digital recorders) the
outgoing message goes on a loop tape.  While the manufacturer usually
supplies a 30 second loop, you can buy longer and shorter ones at your
local Radio Shack.

As for the beep while recording a conversation, well, it may be
annoying, but in the United States it is the law.

Be seeing you...

Lang Zerner langz@asylum.sf.ca.us UUCP:bionet!asylum!langz
ARPA:langz@athena.mit.edu "...and every morning we had to go and LICK
the road clean with our TONGUES!"

[Moderator's Note: I believe the law does not require the beep every
few seconds. It merely requires that both parties be *aware* of the
taping and consent to it. Therefore, if in the first few seconds of
the recording I say to you, "I am recording all this, is that okay
with you?" and you respond it is okay AND I have this consent itself
recorded at the start of the conversation, then the law has been
obeyed. The beeping every few seconds is of course one way to insure
the other person in theory knows about and has consented to be taped.
PT]

abh@pogo.camelot.cs.cmu.edu (Andrew Hastings) (11/11/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0501m07@vector.dallas.tx.us>, langz@asylum.SF.CA.US
(Lang Zerner) writes:

> As for the beep while recording a conversation, well, it may be
> annoying, but in the United States it is the law.

The laws governing the recording of a telephone conversation vary from
state to state.  Some states require a beep.  Some states require the
consent of both parties.  Some states require the consent of only one
party.

-Andy Hastings			abh@cs.cmu.edu			412/268-8734

nobody@nowhere.UUCP (this is a bogus address) (11/13/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0504m05@vector.dallas.tx.us> abh@pogo.camelot.cs.cmu.
edu (Andrew Hastings) writes:

>> As for the beep while recording a conversation, well, it may be
>> annoying, but in the United States it is the law.

>The laws governing the recording of a telephone conversation vary from
>state to state.  Some states require a beep.  Some states require the
>consent of both parties.  Some states require the consent of only one
>party.

In ALL states, the use of recording devices is governed by part of the
federal Communications Act.  The act, as ammended in the late '70s
states that at least one party to a conversation must be aware of the
recording.  That party can be you.  In other words, you can record any
conversation you are a party to with no beep or notification.  You
CANNOT record conversations between third parties (the traditional
tap).  Federal law will preempt any local regulations to the contrary.

I know these laws firsthand.  I used taped conversations between
Tennessee, Georgia and Nu Joysey :-) to bust a thieving ex-partner.

BTW, the rules of evidence in Tenn and Ga say that such recordings are
heresay and as such cannot be submitted as direct evidence.  IT can,
however, be used as rebuttal evidence.  In other words, if the scum
lies on the stand, you can used recordings to prove he's lying but you
cannot use them to prove a point not otherwise in evidence.  The skill
of a good trial lawyer is to lead the recorded person into saying
something that lets the tapes in.  It's also amazing how cooperative
to negotiation the other side gets when you pop a box of cassettes
down on the table.  Makes the perp relive every conversation over the
last year or so :-)

Disclaimer:  I'm not a lawyer - I've just bought them by the dozen.

John De Armond, WD4OQC                     | Manual? ... What manual ?!?
Radiation Systems, Inc.     Atlanta, GA    | This is Unix, My son, You
emory!rsiatl!jgd          **I am the NRA** | just GOTTA Know!!!