[comp.dcom.telecom] Local Calls in the UK & Recovering STD Codes

pcf@galadriel.british-telecom.co.uk (Pete French) (11/13/89)

 From: pkh%computer-science.nottingham.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk (Kevin Hopkins)

>In the UK most calls, if not all, within your STD (area) code are
>classed as local, but there is no easy way to determine which other
>calls are also classed as local.  A few years ago most local calls
>used a special local code (usually starting with a 9) instead of the
>STD code, so that helped.

Things like 9 were just an abbreviation, not a special code for a
local call.  I am still on an kind of sub-exchange at home - from
anywhere in the U.K.  you can dial 0206 225407 to get me, most people
consider my number to be Colchester 225407. My number is actually
Wivenhoe 5407 - you get from Colchester to Wivenhoe by dialing 22.
 From inside the village you just dial 5407. If I pick up the phone I
can dial a 4 digit number which will connect me to a Wivenhoe number -
to get to Colchester I dial 9.

Most of the outlying villages use 9 to get a Colchester number - to
get a Wivenhoe number they can dial 922 (simple, isn't it). But 9 is
just an abbreviation for 0206. I can also dial 0206 to get to
Colchester and it will still be charged as a local call. There is just
a big table of codes, routes and charges in the exchange as far as I
know.  The only way to find out the charge rate for a call is to look
it up in the local phone codes book.

>Also BT are phasing out the least populous STD codes and placing their
>subscribers on the exchanges in the nearest large town, so as to
>recover some spare STD codes.

Yup - in a few months my number will become Colchester 825407. The
curious thing is that I had a friend who had this happen to him, but
despite the fact that he is now on the main exchange officially, he
still has to dial 9 to get to it from his phone!

I think I am going to give up trying to understand the British phone
network. Doesn't anyone from BTUK read this who can give an accurate
explanation ?

-Pete French.