[comp.dcom.telecom] ISDN Service in Ann Arbor Area

bryan@terminator.cc.umich.edu (Bryan Beecher) (11/15/89)

ISDN service is in Ann Arbor.  Service is provided by a 5ESS.  I
believe that much of Ann Arbor is serviced by the one CO, although
some Ann Arbor mailing addresses (like me in Glenoce Hills at US-23
and Washtenaw) go through a different office.

I worked at a display at EDUCOM with Dory Leifer of the MERIT network.
Dory had written a device driver for the Teleos B100PC ISDN cards.

We had two sets of two PCs at the Track and Tennis Building display
area.  Each PC has a ISDN card and was running KA9Q or FTP Software
software.  ISDN lines ran from them to the MBT Office in downtown Ann
Arbor.

ISDN lines ran from there to the School of Ed Building where we had
two gateway machines, one for each pair of machines at Track and
Tennis.  These machines had both ISDN and Ethernet cards, and
collected packets off of the Ethernet there that were destined for
themself or the machines at Track and Tennis.

The upshot off all this is that the machines at Track and Tennis
looked as if they were on an Ethernet attached to the Internet.  The
cards had a Basic Rate Interface so we had two 64K channels are our
disposal --

I've heard that MBT is going to hook up people to ISDN on a test basis
in early 1990.  I believe you must be within 10,000 feet of the MBT
office.  I've also heard that the cost would be something like the
cost of two phone lines, so if you already had two lines -- one for
voice and one for your modem -- this wouldn't be too bad at all
considering you'd be moving from 2400 baud service to 64,000K (or
128,000K) service.  You ought to contact Michigan Bell for more info:
this is just rumor that I've heard.

I think both Dory and I are hoping to do more with ISDN if we can get
Michigan Bell and U-M together for some interesting projects.  Several
of the MBT employees have MTS accounts, and they do read mail there.
One person we worked with is Peter Lodwick.

If you want more information on the Internet/ISDN Gateway Project, you
can mail me or Dory.  Dory is Dory_leifer@um.cc.umich.edu.  You could
also call me (313-747-4050) or him (313-763-4896).  For ISDN details,
Dory is probably the better person to talk to.  I was more of the
Internet-half of the Internet/ISDN gateway! ;-)

One more thing to add.  I showed my posting to Dory who had this to
say:

  Date: Wed, 15 Nov 89 10:06:42 EST
  From: Dory_Leifer@um.cc.umich.edu
  To: bryan@terminator.cc.umich.edu
  Subject: FYI

  Bryan,
  One thing to add. There is no general ISDN tariff offered by
  MBT yet. If they are a centrex user (probably large) they may
  be able to negotiate. UM pays $1000+/month for the first ISDN.
  This is probably not too reasonable for a small business.

                   	- Dory

Bryan Beecher, University of Michigan Computing Center (+1 313 747 4050)
Domain:	bryan@terminator.cc.umich.edu	Path:	mailrus!terminator!bryan

alexb@sharkey.cc.umich.edu (Alex Beylin) (11/16/89)

Brian writes:

>ISDN service is in Ann Arbor.  Service is provided by a 5ESS.
>I believe that much of Ann Arbor is serviced by the one CO,
>although some Ann Arbor mailing addresses (like me in Glenoce Hills
>at US-23 and Washtenaw) go through a different office.

Wow! We are much further along then I thought.  DO we know where the
dividing line is and where the CO itself is located?

>I've heard that MBT is going to hook up people to ISDN
>on a test basis in early 1990.  I believe you must be
>within 10,000 feet of the MBT office.

Where is the CO located anyways?  And why the 10,000 feet limitation?
I wonder how many people are willing to move closer to the CO in order
to get ISDN at home.  I probably would.

>I think both Dory and I are hoping to do more with ISDN
>if we can get Michigan Bell and U-M together for some
>interesting projects.  Several of the MBT employees have
>MTS accounts, and they do read mail there.  One person
>we worked with is Peter Lodwick.

 From talking to people at SemiSLUG meetings I know there is a lot of
interest in ISDN-at-home as a step in the Internet-at-home direction.
Pehaps we can start a discussion here as to what all we need, who is
interested, etc.

A few questions come to mind right away:

1. Equipment.  Does anyone know what does one need at home to
   connect a computer (PC-type or SUN) to ISDN?  Brian mentioned
   a Teleos B100PC board.  Can someone provide more details, pricing, etc?

2. Internet/Merit connectivity.  With the ongoing commercialization of
   Merit and for-pay Internet connections, perhaps enough interested
   folk would get together to buy/build an ISDN-Ethernet router.
   Maybe we could talk Merit folk into connecting it to the Merit
   network......  A lot of "maybes", but if there is enough interest,
   some really amazing projects could be started.

3. MaBell cooperation.  I think we may have a large enough group of
   people here to provide MaBell with incentive to get moving in our area.

As usual, I am just trying to cause trouble.  My final goal in all
this is to have a 64Kb link to Internet from home.  All other ways are
rather expensive, so ISDN has to be it.

 Alex Beylin, Unix Systems Admin.       | +1 313 948-3386
 alexb%cfctech.uucp@mailgw.cc.umich.edu | Chrysler Financial Corp.
 sharkey!cfctech!alexb                  | MIS, Distributed Systems
 ATT Mail ID: attmail!abeylin           | Southfield, MI 48034