[comp.dcom.telecom] Data PBX Equipment

gws@cblph.att.com (Gary W Sanders) (11/10/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0499m03@vector.dallas.tx.us> 74066.2004@compuserve.com
 (Larry Rachman) writes:

>Recent comments on the topic of residential/small business PBXs have
>encouraged me to share my experience with the Panasonic KX-T61610.

I have also been looking at the Panasonic KX series PBX for my home
looks like all of the features that I need. So now that I have my
phone networking done, how about data networking?

Does anyone have any suggestions on a medium feature data switch/pbx?
I am looking for something that will support at least 8 ports, 16
RS232 ports prefered. I need some promtping and help features for the
users. Support of bi-directional lines for dialin/dialout on the same
modem.  9600 baud support on all lines, 19.2 or faster would be nice.
Some security features would be nice.  All of this in an attractive
(-:)) package at a bargain price.

Comments?

Gary Sanders (N8EMR) AT&T Bell Labs, Columbus Ohio
gws@cblph.att.com 		614-860-5965

macy@fmsystm.UUCP (Macy Hallock) (11/16/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0505m04@vector.dallas.tx.us> gws@cbnews.ATT.COM
(Gary W. Sanders,59361,cb,3T219W,6148605965) writes:

>Does anyone have any suggestions on a medium feature data switch/pbx?
>I am looking for something that will support at least 8 ports, 16
>RS232 ports prefered. I need some promtping and help features for the

Newbridge makes a neat little series of RS-232 data switches.  The
small one is the 1080/1082 (8 port and two option parallel ports) and
theres a 1032 (up to 32 ports).  Highly reccomended!  The make some
interesting software for MS-DOS systems to use these switches as well.

Available thru better distributors, as they say.  Newbridge Networks
is 800-332-1080 and is in No. Virginia as I recall...call and ask for
info.  If you are serious, they just might send a you a sales video
tape, too.

They have a neat installation video tape available for these systems,
too.  I wish other voice and data mfr's were as on the ball as
Newbridge!  Newbridge is a bunch of ex-Mitel people and know what they
are doing.

 Macy M. Hallock, Jr.     macy@NCoast.ORG         uunet!aablue!fmsystm!macy
 F M Systems, Inc.      {uunet!backbone}!cwjcc.cwru.edu!ncoast!fmsystm!macy
 150 Highland Drive      Voice: +1 216 723-3000 Ext 251  Fax: +1 216 723-3223
 Medina, Ohio 44256 USA   Cleveland:273-3000 Akron:239-4994 (Dial 251 at tone)
 (Insert favorite disclaimer here)   (What if I gave a .sig and nobody cared?)

dave@uunet.uu.net (Dave Levenson) (11/16/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0505m04@vector.dallas.tx.us>, gws@cblph.att.com
(Gary W Sanders) writes:

> I have also been looking at the Panasonic KX series PBX for my home
> looks like all of the features that I need. So now that I have my
> phone networking done, how about data networking?
> Does anyone have any suggestions on a medium feature data switch/pbx?
> I am looking for something that will support at least 8 ports, 16
> RS232 ports prefered...

Have a look at AT&T's Merlin II.  It looks more like a key system than
a PBX, but the distinction is a bit blurred.  It supports electronic
multi-button sets, and it also supports Tip & Ring sets with the same
features available.  It is a digital switch, and supports asynchronous
data ports -- stand-alone or paired with voice ports.

If you're looking for a BIG switch (big by residential standards)
there's also System 25.  More ports, different feature package,
similar capabilities.

Here, incidentally, we switch low-speed modem traffic with a Mitel
SX-5, a two-trunk, six-station PBX which is now about ten years old,
and probably no longer available.  This is an analog electronic
switch, and we use 2400 bps modems behind it.  We also use an AT&T
Starlan(tm) network to interconnect several PC devices at 1 Megabit.

Dave Levenson                Voice: (201) 647 0900
Westmark, Inc.               Internet: dave@westmark.uu.net
Warren, NJ, USA              UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
[The Man in the Mooney]      AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave