[comp.dcom.telecom] Calls from Egypt

levitt@zorro9.fidonet.org (Ken Levitt) (11/15/89)

I just had a chat with an Egyptian friend about phone service in
Egypt.

Her parents live in Alexandria.  In order for them to call to Cairo,
her father has to go down to the post office and tell them that he
wishes to place the call and has to pay for it in advance.  Then he
goes home and waits several hours for his home phone to ring with the
call.  If he doesn't wish to wait many hours, he must bribe the post
office official to get his call through sooner.

When the call finally goes through they have three minutes to talk.
At the end of the three minutes, there is a beep and the call is
disconnected.

International calls are almost impossible.  With the time difference
and the hours that the post office is open, things never seem to work
out.  My friend here has only been called by her parents once in the
past three years and that was a family emergency.

In view of all this, I can't understand why the GTE customers in CA
are complaining.  It appears that things in CA are not as bad as they
could be.  8-)

Ken Levitt - via FidoNet node 1:16/390
UUCP: zorro9!levitt
INTERNET: levitt%zorro9.uucp@talcott.harvard.edu

john@zygot.ati.com (John Higdon) (11/17/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0514m09@vector.dallas.tx.us>, levitt@zorro9.fidonet.
org (Ken Levitt) writes:

> [horror stories of the Egyptian telephone system]
> In view of all this, I can't understand why the GTE customers in CA
> are complaining.  It appears that things in CA are not as bad as they
> could be.  8-)

Yes, I'm sure that GTE of California would love to be compared to
Egypt, or maybe the USSR, or even Mexico. But unfortunately, they are
playing ball in a different stadium. And as things stand, they can't
hold a candle to Pac*Bell (with whom they must be compared), the most
backward and antiquated RBOC in the nation.

    john@zygot.ati.com      | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !