[comp.dcom.telecom] Calling Card Tones

bmk@mvuxi.att.com (Bernard Mckeever) (11/14/89)

Some time ago a question was asked about the tone that signals you to
enter your credit card number. I don't remember if the answer was ever
provided, if it has, ignore this, if it has not, I found this
information while looking at an old copy [1980] of Notes On The
Network.

Automatic Credit Card Dialing - Prompt Tone

Frequency in Hz = 941 + 1477 for 60 msec followed immediately by 440 +
350 for 940 msec [exponentially decayed from -10 dbM per frequency at
-3 TLP at time constant of 200 msec]

A few other interesting items from the same issue:

Some future capabilities

1. Using a single nationwide number to reach a function.

What this feature allows you to do is reach the nearest location of
the group you were trying to contact.  The applications listed
included government functions, as you would expect, but also retail
outlets.

2. A national number to reach a person, not a telephone, wherever they
are.

[You thought caller ID got people upset]

3. Using the network to track the locations of people traveling.  [See
above and triple the results]

Several other new features were mentioned and in spite of divestiture
we have them in place today.

levin@bbn.com (Joel B. Levin) (11/18/89)

>From: Bernard Mckeever <bmk@mvuxi.att.com>

>Some future capabilities

>1. Using a single nationwide number to reach a function.

>What this feature allows you to do is reach the nearest location of
>the group you were trying to contact.  The applications listed
>included government functions, as you would expect, but also retail
>outlets.

This already exists in the world of 800 numbers.  At least in AT&T, a
company can opt to have an 800 number go to the nearest branch office
of the company.  I have been bitten by this; the 800 number for my
insurance company is the same around the country, but when I dial it
from work I reach the Boston area office, while my records are in the
Manchester, NH office; the Boston people always have to tell me the
"real" number to call to reach Manchester.

Nets: levin@bbn.com  |
 or {...}!bbn!levin  |
POTS: (617)873-3463  |