[comp.dcom.telecom] NYC Time and Weather

FLINTON@eagle.wesleyan.edu (Fred E.J. Linton) (11/11/89)

Just TIME, that I know of, in New Haven, CT -- local call, with a 10
second SNET public service plug, at [1 203] 777-4647 ("SPRINGS" to the
innumerate).

   flinton

rmadison@euler.berkeley.edu (Linc Madison) (11/14/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0505m07@vector.dallas.tx.us> Fred E. J. Linton
(FLINTON@eagle.wesleyan.edu) writes:

>Just TIME, that I know of, in New Haven, CT -- local call, with a 10
>second SNET public service plug, at [1 203] 777-4647 ("SPRINGS" to the
>innumerate).

Here, the number is "POPCORN" (767-2676, although 767-XXXX works).
It's treated as a local (Zone 1) call from anywhere that it works.  (I
don't know its geographical range.)  It's also time only, but it's a
"beep, beep, beep, beep, at the tone, 10:53:50, BEEP, beep..."
system, and with NO ADVERTISING!

  Linc Madison   =   rmadison@euler.berkeley.edu

edg@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Edward Greenberg) (11/15/89)

Linc Madison reports that here in the Bay Area, Time is 767-XXXX or
"POPCORN."

I should add that we get a nice National Weather Service forecast on
415-WEather-6-XXXX.  Recorded at the NWS in Redwood City with no
commercials.

Ed Greenberg
uunet!apple!netcom!edg

johnw@gatech.edu (John Wheeler) (11/16/89)

Of course for the ultimate in accuracy, you can call the National
Bureau of Standards's WWV at (303)499-7111. The accuracy is limited to
the length of time it takes the signal to travel through the line to
you.

/*  John Wheeler - Unix/C Systems Designer/Programmer/Administrator/etc...    *
 * Turner Entertainment Networks * Superstation TBS * TNT * Turner Production *
 *           ...!gatech!nanovx!techwood!johnw    (404) TBS-1421               *
 * "the opinions expressed in this program are not necessarily those of TBS"  */

[Moderator's Note: And if it is 1200 baud ASCII you prefer from the
NBS, dial 303-494-4774. To get the same thing from NAVOSBY, dial
202-653-0351 at 1200 baud.  PT]

john@zygot.ati.com (John Higdon) (11/18/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0516m07@vector.dallas.tx.us>, techwood!johnw@gatech.
edu (John Wheeler) writes:

> Of course for the ultimate in accuracy, you can call the National
> Bureau of Standards's WWV at (303)499-7111.

> [Moderator's Note: And if it is 1200 baud ASCII you prefer from the
> NBS, dial 303-494-4774. To get the same thing from NAVOSBY, dial
> 202-653-0351 at 1200 baud.  PT]

These 1200 baud services are exceedingly handy. My computer has a
crontab entry to call NAVOSBY twice a week to set its clock. For many
months now it has been wonderful to not have to think about checking
the damn time in the computer.

About six months ago, some company in Fremont (I forget the name)
contacted me concerning their network time standards that would keep
computers in a network set to the correct time using WWV. I was mildly
interested until I found out that the price was somewhere around $600.
It was then that I pointed out that I got a pretty good substitute for
about $1 a month by calling NAVOSBY.

    john@zygot.ati.com      | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !