[comp.dcom.telecom] ATTMAIL Access?

UCHUCK@unc.bitnet (Chuck Bennett (919)966-1134) (11/16/89)

Patrick,
I have an aquaintance who works at the Shreveport, LA AT&T location.
When we meet (in person) he gave me the following email address
"attmail!sp3ba!wcseal".  As you can see I am on BITNET.  I also have
INTERNET access.  Is there a way to get a message to him?

My local email guru told me to try "sp3ba!wcseal@attmail.att.com", below
is the result of that attempt.

Any or no help would be appreciated.

Chuck Bennett

johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us (John R. Levine) (11/18/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0517m06@vector.dallas.tx.us> you write:

>I have an aquaintance who works at the Shreveport, LA AT&T location.
>When we meet (in person) he gave me the following email address
>"attmail!sp3ba!wcseal".  As you can see I am on BITNET.  I also have
>INTERNET access.  Is there a way to get a message to him?

Probably not.  AT&T Mail looks to the outside world like a giant uucp
site.  One can either dial in to an AT&T Mail machine as a user, as
one does to MCI Mail, Telemail, and most of the others, or else have
mail delivered via uucp to one's Unix machine.  For this reason, there
are lots of people in the uucp community who have links to AT&T Mail.
Unfortunately, AT&T Mail charges for each incoming message from a site
whether the site is sending it itself or relaying it for someone else,
so you can understand why there are no publicly available attmail
relays.

Now that Compuserve and MCI Mail are relaying to the Internet directly
without charge, and Telemail has a kludge interface that is also free,
it would make sense for AT&T to reconsider their charging policy.
Unless they can distinguish between uucp mail coming in from
subscribers (charged) and uucp mail coming in for subscribers (no
charge) I can't see how they can technically do it.

John R. Levine, Segue Software, POB 349, Cambridge MA 02238, +1 617 864 9650
johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us, {ima|lotus|spdcc}!esegue!johnl
"Now, we are all jelly doughnuts."

dmr@csli.stanford.edu (Daniel M. Rosenberg) (11/18/89)

UCHUCK@unc.bitnet (Chuck Bennett    (919)966-1134) writes:

>My local email guru told me to try "sp3ba!wcseal@attmail.att.com", below
>is the result of that attempt.

>      > The error message was:
>      > destination unknown or forwarding disallowed

Stuff sent to host.att.com currently goes through att.arpa, aka
research.att.com. Soon this will be inet.att.com. AT&T doesn't want to
forward to machines outside of AT&T, and the error message you got
here indicates that even for attmail, which is significantly enough
outside of the AT&T machine network.

I'd expect you could bounce this off of uunet: e.g., attmail!wcseal@
uunet.uu.net.

So, with that answer, I have a question: just who the heck is UUNET
and why do they let us bounce all our mail off of them?

# Daniel M. Rosenberg     //  Stanford CSLI  // Eat my opinions, not Stanford's.
# dmr@csli.stanford.edu  // decwrl!csli!dmr // dmr%csli@stanford.bitnet

dave@uunet.uu.net (Dave Levenson) (11/18/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0517m06@vector.dallas.tx.us>, UCHUCK@unc.bitnet
(Chuck Bennett    (919)966-1134) writes:

> I have an aquaintance who works at the Shreveport, LA AT&T location.
> When we meet (in person) he gave me the following email address
> "attmail!sp3ba!wcseal".  As you can see I am on BITNET.  I also have
> INTERNET access.  Is there a way to get a message to him?

AT&T Mail is a service you buy.  If you get a subscription to it (for
$30 per year, I think, plus usage-sensitive fees) then you can send
and receive e-mail.  It is gatewayed to Usenet.  You can use a dumb
terminal (or a PC emulating a dumb terminal) or you can register a
UNIX machine as an AT&T Mail node.  The transport mechanism, in the
latter case, is uucp.  You can also send text to fax machines, and you
can listen to your mailbox using a voice telephone, using their
text-to-speech capability.  To subscribe, or to get more information,
call 1-800-672-MAIL.

Dave Levenson                Voice: (201) 647 0900
Westmark, Inc.               Internet: dave@westmark.uu.net
Warren, NJ, USA              UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
[The Man in the Mooney]      AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave

smb@hector.att.com (11/19/89)

>From: "Daniel M. Rosenberg" <dmr@csli.stanford.edu>

>Stuff sent to host.att.com currently goes through att.arpa, aka
>research.att.com. Soon this will be inet.att.com. AT&T doesn't want to
>forward to machines outside of AT&T, and the error message you got
>here indicates that even for attmail, which is significantly enough
>outside of the AT&T machine network.

Not quite.  Arpa.att.com is indeed the mail gateway for AT&T right
now.  It will soon be retired -- it's heavily overloaded -- and will
be replaced by a new machine which may retain the old name as an
alias.  Inet.att.com, though it exists now, will be a special-purpose
gateway; only a few research organizations within Bell Labs will use
it.  The rest of the company will use the general gateway.  The
difference is unimportant to anyone on the outside; MX records will be
used to select the proper gateway for any inbound mail.  Attempts to
manually-route mail will likely fail; inet, at least, will be unable
(and not just unwilling) to handle such mail, I believe.

At the present time, neither machine will accept mail for ATTMAIL.
ATTMAIL is a commercial service; there are many non-AT&T users of it.
It is not possible to distinguish on the basis of hostname which
recipients are or are not AT&T employees.  Also note that ATTMAIL
charges for messages sent.

>So, with that answer, I have a question: just who the heck is UUNET
>and why do they let us bounce all our mail off of them?

UUNET is a non-profit corporation founded by Usenix to act as a mail
and netnews hub.  You're supposed to pay for their services, too...  I
doubt very much that they'd forward to ATTMAIL for free, especially
since ATTMAIL would charge them for doing so.

		Speaking unofficially,

		--Steve Bellovin
		smb@ulysses.att.com

dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com (Steve Dyer) (11/19/89)

Last January or thereabouts I constructed and sent off via the Internet
an email message with the headers:

 To: dispatcher@attmail.att.com
 Default-Options: /receipt
 Paper-To: Stephen P. Dyer
	<address lines>

Needless to say, it worked!  I received a confirmation receipt in
return mail via the Internet, and several days later I received a copy
of the letter in my mailbox.  I immediately sent mail to
postmaster@attmail warning them of the loophole, which now appears to
be closed.

Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer
dyer@arktouros.mit.edu, dyer@hstbme.mit.edu

[Moderator's Note: Not only that, but some people were sending mail to
user !telex at ATTMAIL, and sending telex messages everywhere with the
bill going to no one in particular, and eventually being written off
by ATTMAIL. I mentioned this flaw to them myself. The delivered telex
messages contained curious remarks as to their origin.  PT]

avr@mtgzx.att.com (Adam V Reed) (11/19/89)

(Chuck Bennett writes:

> I have an aquaintance who works at the Shreveport, LA AT&T location.
> When we meet (in person) he gave me the following email address
> "attmail!sp3ba!wcseal".  As you can see I am on BITNET.  I also have
> INTERNET access.  Is there a way to get a message to him?
> My local email guru told me to try "sp3ba!wcseal@attmail.att.com", below
> is the result of that attempt.

Remember domain addressing? "sp3ba" is in the att.com subdomain, so
you can mail to your friend without going through ATTMAIL.  Just use
wcseal@sp3ba.att.com. Or you can use his name @ ATT.com.

				Adam_V_Reed@ATT.com

wcf@hcx.psu.edu (Bill Fenner) (11/19/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0518m02@vector.dallas.tx.us> dmr@csli.stanford.edu
(Daniel M. Rosenberg) writes:

|I'd expect you could bounce this off of uunet: e.g., attmail!wcseal@
|uunet.uu.net.

|So, with that answer, I have a question: just who the heck is UUNET
|and why do they let us bounce all our mail off of them?

UUNET *is not a general-purpose forwarder.* Remember that.  UUNET
forwarding will go away just as soon as they decide that too many
people are using them as a miscellaneous site to bounce everything off
of.  UUNET exists for their customers, and may become like AT&T, in
that if you're not mailing to one of their customers, you can just
bugger off.

Bill Fenner                   wcf@hcx.psu.edu             ..!psuvax1!psuhcx!wcf
sysop@hogbbs.fidonet.org (1:129/87 - 814/238-9633)     ..!lll-winken!/