[comp.dcom.telecom] CLI or CND: What Is Actually Displayed?

anthony@uunet.uu.net (Anthony Lee) (11/19/89)

I was wondering with the Call Line Identity or the Calling Number
Delivery service, what is actually displayed on the callee's
telephone.  Is it just the caller's number? Surely this wouldn't be
very helpful. I mean the telephone book is indexed on surnames so
wouldn't it better if the surname and initials of the caller be
displayed?

cheers Anthony

Anthony Lee (Humble PhD student) (Alias Time Lord Doctor)
ACSnet:	anthony@batserver.cs.uq.oz	TEL:(+617) 3712651
Internet: anthony@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au	    (+617) 3774139 (w)
SNAIL: Dept Comp. Science, University of Qld, St Lucia, Qld 4067, Australia

[Moderator's Note: But you see, names are not unique to their users.
Telephone numbers are. If my caller-ID box says 'John Smith', am I to
look through a couple pages of the Chicago alpha directory at the
hundreds of people in Chicago named 'John Smith' to find my caller?  PT]

johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us (John R. Levine) (11/20/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0521m03@vector.dallas.tx.us> our moderator writes:

>[Moderator's Note: But you see, names are not unique to their users.
>Telephone numbers are. ...

Unless, of course, the phone happens to be shared by several people on
a hall.  Or someone's calling from a friend's house, or calling one
client from a second client's office.  Or calling from a 5,000 line
PBX which always gives the main number as the calling number.  Or
using a payphone.  Or, if the caller's more serious, tapping someone
else's line in an unlocked phone closet in order to masquerade as
them.

Caller ID doesn't conclusively identify the caller any more than
getting a car's license number conclusively identifies the driver.
It's a strong hint, but hardly the iron-clad identifier that some
people wish it were.  Think of it like the signature on electronic
mail, not too hard to fake out if you really want to.

John R. Levine, Segue Software, POB 349, Cambridge MA 02238, +1 617 864 9650
johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us, {ima|lotus|spdcc}!esegue!johnl
"Now, we are all jelly doughnuts."