[comp.dcom.telecom] Forest Park Hum?? Fact or Fiction?

tkoppel@eecs.nwu.edu (Ted Koppel) (11/17/89)

I was just talking to my sister and brother-in-law who live 'just over
the line' in Forest Park, Illinois. There exchange prefix is 708
(formerly 312) 771.  They have a computer and have just acquired a
modem; they have had no luck connecting to Compuserve or any of the
local BBS systems.

They had a different phone problem yesterday, and an Illinois Bell (?)
(what are they these days??) tech came out to fix the problem, which
was in the box handing from the pole, and not in their house.
However, they asked the tech why they were unable to sustain a modem
connection.

His response was that they were victims of the 'Forest Park Hum'. He
described it as a well known phenomenon in which there is too much
(something) which causes hum on the lines to the point of inabaility
to transmit data.  He said that they could buy a conditioned line or
something else very expensive to be able to use a modem.

Is this for real?  Is there any way around it?  Is there any pressure
that my sister can place on anyone at Illinois Bell to improve
matters?  And so on ...

Thanks...

Ted Koppel       CARL - Colorado Alliance of Research Libraries =
BITNET: TKOPPEL@DUCAIR    UUCP: uunet!isis!tkoppel  or tkoppel@du.edu

[Moderator's Note: I have never heard of such a thing; that is, an entire
community with noisy lines. How does the telepone man think the half
dozen BBS lines in Forest Park operate presently? All with dedicated,
clean lines?  And how do the rest of us in Chicago reach BBS lines in
Forest Park? Can your relatives use 300/1200 baud, if not necessarily
2400? Is it possible the modem unit itself is faulty? When in a voice
connection, do they get an unusual amount of hum, buzz, clicking or
popping?  Sorry to say, there are some IBT employees who for whatever
reason are very antagonistic toward modem usage, dislike the use of
computers by people at home, and say *whatever* in response to
questions such as posed. They'd love to sell a conditioned line for
the extra bucks per month. I highly doubt it is needed.  PT]

pf@islington-terrace.csc.ti.com (Paul Fuqua) (11/20/89)

>    Date: Thursday, November 16, 1989  7:43pm (CST)
>    From: isis!isis.UUCP!tkoppel at eecs.nwu.edu (Ted Koppel)
>    Subject: Forest Park Hum?? Fact or Fiction?

>    Is this for real?  Is there any way around it?  Is there any pressure
>    that my sister can place on anyone at Illinois Bell to improve
>    matters?  And so on ...

>    [Moderator's Note: I have never heard of such a thing; that is, an entire
>    community with noisy lines.

I have; I live in one (far Northeast Dallas).  In my case, the problem
is that I'm just over the hill from the KMEZ-FM transmitter, and the
radio signal interferes with the modem.  Codex and Microcom modems
wouldn't operate in the area unless some simple filtering circuitry
was added.

My modem is issued by my employer, so they were not only familiar with
the problem, but also had a modified modem handy; I'm told the
Microcom, at least, now includes the filter in their modems.  Good
thing it could be solved by a modem swap: given the horror stories
about SWBell charging business rates for modem use, I wasn't about to
call them and ask for help.

I don't know how to check for a similar condition in Forest Park.  The
technician I talked to here just had an inspiration when I told him
that the problem started when I moved to a new apartment.

Paul Fuqua                     pf@csc.ti.com
                               {smu,texsun,cs.utexas.edu,rice}!ti-csl!pf

Texas Instruments Computer Science Center
PO Box 655474 MS 238, Dallas, Texas 75265

[Moderator's Note: Come to think of it, I have too. Please see the
article in the Digest from earlier this year on the situation in
Hammond, IN, where radio station WYCA-FM blasts everyone within a few
miles range of their transmitter in Burnham, IL.  PT]