[comp.dcom.telecom] Caller ID Device

judice@kyoa.enet.dec.com (Louis J. Judice 26-Oct-1989 1007) (10/26/89)

Hi Patrick - the Caller ID Display Device in the Hello Direct catalog is
branded "AT&T" - and if I recall is $99.95.

Unfortunately, NJ Bell tells me that my C.O. (Peapack) is not
scheduled for CLASS Calling Services until JANUARY, 1991!!!

Lou Judice
DEC

[Moderator's Note: A full year yet! That's a pity. Ours in Chicago-
Rogers Park is set for fourth quarter '89, but so far nothing
has been publicized.  PT]

dave@uunet.uu.net (Dave Levenson) (10/28/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0474m10@vector.dallas.tx.us>, judice@kyoa.enet.dec.com
 (Louis J. Judice 26-Oct-1989 1007) writes:
> Unfortunately, NJ Bell tells me that my C.O. (Peapack) is not
> scheduled for CLASS Calling Services until JANUARY, 1991!!!

That's interesting -- when a subscriber in Peapack calls us in
Warren, we get their caller id number NOW.  They send it, but they
don't receive it.

Dave Levenson                Voice: (201) 647 0900
Westmark, Inc.               Internet: dave@westmark.uu.net
Warren, NJ, USA              UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
[The Man in the Mooney]      AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave

mjw06513@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Mary J Winters) (11/09/89)

Some months back, I chanced upon several BBS sysops discussing the
caller ID service in a (gasp!) FidoNet ECHO Conference. They were
using homemade devices(!) to display the caller's phone number and
feed it to their computers.  They seemed to have gotten a hold of some
schematic for the device and were passing it around. Of course I
didn't pay much attention to all of this at the time, and so now that
I'm interested in obtaining such a device I can't remember any of the
important details.

My questions are these: Are the plans for this device still available?
If I do manage to build one, will the device work for caller ID in all
areas, or do different telcos use different schemes for transmitting
the information?

Many Thanks,

Mary

dave@uunet.uu.net (Dave Levenson) (11/11/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0501m08@vector.dallas.tx.us>, mjw06513@uxa.cso.uiuc.
edu (Mary J Winters) writes:

> My questions are these: Are the plans for this device still available?
> If I do manage to build one, will the device work for caller ID in all
> areas, or do different telcos use different schemes for transmitting
> the information?

Caller*ID is part of the Class(sm) feature package.  It is implented
in the same way throughout the Bell System.  The information is
delivered using a simplex 1200 bps fsk data transmission (similar to
the modulation used on 202-type modems) which occurs after the first
ring on lines subscribed to the service.  Colonial Data Technologies
(the folks who made the Call Identifier(tm) box I use with this
service) is rumored to be working on a PC card capable of receiving
this data transmission and passing it to some software they'll supply.
I don't know how open the application interface will be.

In the "Bell System of the Future" a new kind of calling number
delivery will be offered to ISDN subscribers.  This is a different
transmission method, and is digital, rather than analog.  Instead of a
modem, you'd need an ISDN processor, capable of implementing a
sizeable subset of HDLC data communications protocol.  This service is
used today by a few large businesses -- notably those with large
groups of 800 service circuits.

Dave Levenson                Voice: (201) 647 0900
Westmark, Inc.               Internet: dave@westmark.uu.net
Warren, NJ, USA              UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
[The Man in the Mooney]      AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave

hsu@eng.umd.edu (Dave "bd" Hsu) (11/14/89)

Okay, Caller*ID is up and running at Chez Hsu.  Outside a 15 mile or
so radius, however, nobody here seems to be sending the originating
number.  Even with the base reversed, the LCD has an annoyingly narrow
viewing angle.  Nevertheless the folks think that in some ways, it's
even better than having an answering machine.

A few questions, then.  One call so far has been misidentified; one
digit was changed but not completely garbled.  Is there no ECC sent
along?  And...anybody interested in trying this thing out long
distance?

Dave Hsu	UMd EE Computer Facility	hsu@eng.umd.edu

"A program is like a nose.  Sometimes it runs, sometimes it blows."

dts@ursa-major.spdcc.com (Dan Senie) (11/21/89)

I just returned from COMDEX. The people who put out the ZOOM modems
have come out with a box which will do a whole mess of things,
including outputting Caller ID info to your computer (via RS-232).

[Moderator's Note: Can you give us any further information on COMDEX
and the exhibits?  PT]