[comp.dcom.telecom] Help - Modem Info Needed

CFWPM@ecncdc.bitnet (Bill McGown) (11/17/89)

I just got a "gift" of a 30 Universal Data Systems Modems(?), made by
Motorola.  Why the question mark behind the modems? Well they look
like modems and have all the other physical characteristics, but no
manuals :-( ! Does anyone have any info on these critters. The model
number is a 201B. Many thanks.

Bill McGown      CFWPM@ECNCDC.BITNET

kaufman@neon.stanford.edu (Marc T. Kaufman) (11/18/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0517m05@vector.dallas.tx.us> CFWPM@ecncdc.bitnet
(Bill McGown) writes:

>I just got a "gift" of a 30 Universal Data Systems Modems(?), made by
>Motorola.  Why the question mark behind the modems? Well they look
>like modems and have all the other physical characteristics, but no
>manuals :-( ! Does anyone have any info on these critters. The model
>number is a 201B. Many thanks.

The 201B is a 2400 baud modem.  Half-duplex on dial-up lines and Full
duplex on (4-wire) leased lines.  Motorola bought Universal Data
Systems (Huntsville, AL) and Codex (Atlanta, I think) some years ago,
and sort-of merged their product lines.

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@Neon.stanford.edu)

dave@uunet.uu.net (Dave Levenson) (11/18/89)

(Bill McGown) writes:

> I just got a "gift" of a 30 Universal Data Systems Modems(?), made by
> Motorola.  Why the question mark behind the modems? Well they look
> like modems and have all the other physical characteristics, but no
> manuals :-( ! Does anyone have any info on these critters. The model
> number is a 201B. Many thanks.

Bill:
	The UDS 201B is a 2400bps half-duplex synchronous modem,
suitable for leased-line or dial-up service with other 201-style
equipment.  (Some models will support full-duplex synchnonous service
using 4-wire leased lines.  All are half-duplex on dial-up lines.)
They're usually used between IBM 3270-series cluster controllers and
remote host system channel adaptors.  Probably not very useful in the
world of asynchronous full-duplex service we tend to use with Unix.

Dave Levenson                Voice: (201) 647 0900
Westmark, Inc.               Internet: dave@westmark.uu.net
Warren, NJ, USA              UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
[The Man in the Mooney]      AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave

segal%cell.mot.COM@uunet.uu.net (Gary Segal) (11/22/89)

>In article <telecom-v09i0517m05@vector.dallas.tx.us> CFWPM@ecncdc.bitnet
>(Bill McGown) writes:

>Motorola bought Universal Data
>Systems (Huntsville, AL) and Codex (Atlanta, I think) some years ago,
>and sort-of merged their product lines.

Codex is based out of Mansfield, Massachusetts, while UDS is out of
Huntsville Alabama.  As far as I can tell, their product lines have
not been merged.  Obviously, there is some overlap in their prodcuts,
and they sometimes work together on special projects, but they do have
distinctive market identities and differences.

Gary Segal, Motorola C.I.D.			1501 W. Shure Drive
 ...!uunet!motcid!segal				Arlington Heights, IL 60004
Disclaimer: The above is all my fault.		+1 708 632-2354