[comp.dcom.telecom] 800 Rates

eli@ursa-major.spdcc.com (11/17/89)

Do all carriers charge in .1 second increments for 800 numbers?  I
just got my first 800 bill from US Sprint -- half of the calls were
for 1 cent or 4 cents!  It's cheaper to call cross-country with their
800 service than it is to dial in-state with NYNEX, at least for
short calls, which I often do to check voice mail.

john@zygot.ati.com (John Higdon) (11/20/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0520m11@vector.dallas.tx.us>, eli@ursa-major.spdcc.
com writes:

> Do all carriers charge in .1 second increments for 800 numbers?  I
> just got my first 800 bill from US Sprint -- half of the calls were
> for 1 cent or 4 cents!  It's cheaper to call cross-country with their
> 800 service than it is to dial in-state with NYNEX, at least for
> short calls, which I often do to check voice mail.

The smallest increment in billing that I have ever heard of is .1
minutes, or six seconds. My full state 800 number with AT&T bills in
this manner.

As far as the amazement goes about calls across the nation costing
less than calls across the state, Californians have been up in arms
about this fact of life for decades. As far as I can determine, the
most expensive call in the US is one from San Diego to Crescent City.
It matters not which carrier you select, they all charge some
ultra-rip-off rate. This is our great Public Utilities Commission at
work.

The only benefit an intra-state call enjoys is that the "night" rate
applies all day on Sunday, even after 5 PM.

    john@zygot.ati.com      | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

[Moderator's Note: See the final message in the Digest today regarding
'700 Intra-Area Code' service from Telecom*USA. This may be a way for
some people to save on some intrastate calls.   PT]

rmadison@euler.berkeley.edu (Linc Madison) (11/21/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0523m03@vector.dallas.tx.us> John Higdon writes:

>As far as the amazement goes about calls across the nation costing
>less than calls across the state, Californians have been up in arms
>about this fact of life for decades. As far as I can determine, the
>most expensive call in the US is one from San Diego to Crescent City.
>It matters not which carrier you select, they all charge some
>ultra-rip-off rate. This is our great Public Utilities Commission at
>work.

Ah, John, have you tried calling Crescent City yourself??  I believe
you will find that it is even MORE expensive from your location than
from San Diego, since Pac*Bell's intra-LATA rates are even higher than
the LDCs' inter-LATA rates for the same distance.  Perhaps even worse
than Santa Cruz-to-Crescent City would be Los Angeles to the
northeastern tip of Area Code 619 (south of Lake Tahoe), within the
L.A. LATA.

Yes, here in California we have a very logical system: toll call
charges vary inversely with distance....

   Linc Madison   =   rmadison@euler.berkeley.edu

john@zygot.ati.com (John Higdon) (11/22/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0525m04@vector.dallas.tx.us>, rmadison@euler.
berkeley.edu (Linc Madison) writes:

> Ah, John, have you tried calling Crescent City yourself??  I believe
> you will find that it is even MORE expensive from your location than
> from San Diego, since Pac*Bell's intra-LATA rates are even higher than
> the LDCs' inter-LATA rates for the same distance.  Perhaps even worse
> than Santa Cruz-to-Crescent City would be Los Angeles to the
> northeastern tip of Area Code 619 (south of Lake Tahoe), within the
> L.A. LATA.

Good point. This silliness is even more apparent in my full-state 800
bill. Off-peak (the only kind of calling I do) is divided into
intra-lata (Pac*Bell) and inter-lata (AT&T). Intra-lata is $8.60/hr
and Inter-lata is $6.00/hr.

Which brings up an interesting on-going problem. The sole reason for
having my 800 number is for cheap communications with southern
California. I receive NO calls from anyone north of Bakersfield. About
two years ago, my bill started showing up with about 60% of the
traffic on the intra-lata column. For two years they have been unable
to find out why that happens, but each month I get a call from the
business office and they tell me what the credit will be for the
month.

Initially they were very surprised that I could catagorically state
that there was NO intra-lata traffic. Most businesses would never
notice anything like that, but as an individual, I have total
knowledge of who calls on that line. The total hours are correct
(which would cause any SMDR I, or a business, might be using to jibe
with the bill), but the disbursement is wrong.

If one didn't know better, one might think that this is intentional.
Not only do they get more money from intra-lata, they don't have to
share it with AT&T. Now how many businesses are out there that have no
idea that this could be going on? This is no itemization.

> Yes, here in California we have a very logical system: toll call
> charges vary inversely with distance....

Amen, brother!

    john@zygot.ati.com      | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !