[comp.dcom.telecom] E-mail to the UK

gphg1125@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Glenn P Hoetker) (11/19/89)

I would be very grateful for any advice on how to send e-mail from the
U. S. (either Internet or Bitnet) to someone on the JANET network in
the U.K.  I know its possible, but have incredible amounts of trouble
trying to do it.  Thank you very much.

macy@fmsystm.UUCP (Macy Hallock) (11/21/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0521m05@vector.dallas.tx.us> gphg1125@uxa.cso.uiuc.
edu (Glenn P Hoetker) writes:

>I would be very grateful for any advice on how to send e-mail from the
>U. S. (either Internet or Bitnet) to someone on the JANET network in
>the U.K.  I know its possible, but have incredible amounts of trouble
>trying to do it.  Thank you very much.

One source for network routing information I have not yet seen
mentioned is Nutshell's new book on the topic.

I won't get commercial here, but if this book is as good as the others
from this publisher, it's worthwhile.  They have an 800 number or try
uunet!ora!sales (they also publish several other good books on Unix
and Usenet related topics)

 Macy M. Hallock, Jr.     macy@NCoast.ORG         uunet!aablue!fmsystm!macy
 F M Systems, Inc.      {uunet!backbone}!cwjcc.cwru.edu!ncoast!fmsystm!macy
 150 Highland Drive      Voice: +1 216 723-3000 Ext 251  Fax: +1 216 723-3223
 Medina, Ohio 44256 USA   Cleveland:273-3000 Akron:239-4994 (Dial 251 at tone)

OLE@csli.stanford.edu (Ole J. Jacobsen) (11/21/89)

JANET is connected to the Internet via a gateway which used to be at
the University College London (UCL), but is now at a different
location in London (ULCC, I think). The name of the gateway host is
still NSS.CS.UCL.AC.UK.

Your mailer should be smart enough to recognise addresses of the form:
user@someplace.ac.uk. Please note that the domain ordering is
"backwards" (they think it is "the right way round" and there are
arguments which support their claim, but let's not get into that...).
You may therefore be given addresses of the form: user@uk.ac.someplace
and you'll have to reverse it before composing your message.

Good luck!

Ole

pkh%computer-science.nottingham.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk (Kevin Hopkins) (11/22/89)

In his message of Mon 20 Nov 89 19:53:51-PST in v09i525 "Ole J. Jacobsen"
<OLE@csli.stanford.edu> mentioned:

> JANET is connected to the Internet via a gateway which used to be at
> the University College London (UCL), but is now at a different
> location in London (ULCC, I think). The name of the gateway host is
> still NSS.CS.UCL.AC.UK.

The   location  is   correct  but   the   name  isn't.    You   should  use
nsfnet-relay.ac.uk.  The old name of nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk   *may* still be left
around as an  alias, but  as the name changed about  a year ago I  doubt it
will be around for much longer, if it still exists at all.

Also, you will only be able to get mail to the AC.UK subdomain through that
gateway due to the way the Computer Board (government agency) funds it. For
the rest of the UK (and AC.UK  if you want)  its down to  bang addresses of
the form  ..!mcsun!ukc!nott-cs!K.Hopkins, and this route  is charged to the
UK user on send and receive.

| K.Hopkins%cs.nott.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk | Kevin Hopkins,		      |
| or    ..!mcsun!ukc!nott-cs!K.Hopkins	     | Department of Computer Science,|
| or in the UK: K.Hopkins@uk.ac.nott.cs	     | University of Nottingham,      |
| CHAT-LINE: +44 602 484848 x 3815	     | Nottingham, ENGLAND, NG7 2RD   |