[comp.dcom.telecom] Bellcore Requirements

deej@bellcore.bellcore.com (David Lewis) (11/23/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0525m08@vector.dallas.tx.us>, nastar!scott@gatech.edu

(Scott Barman) writes:

> In article <telecom-v09i0519m02@vector.dallas.tx.us> nvuxr!deej@bellcore.
> bellcore.com (David Lewis) writes:

> >One thing to keep in mind is that Bellcore TRs are essentially written
> >to the industry to provide requirements for manufacturers; the
> >manufacturers are free to implement products in exact compliance to
> >the Bellcore TRs or not, as they see fit.  In other words, the TRs
> >specify how Bellcore says the product/service/system *should* work,
> >which may or may not be the same as the way it *does* work.

> Caveat on the above (since we've been through these problems here): If
> you are with a company wanting to do business with the RBOCs, then you
> should really consider implementing your product/etc. to as close to
> exact compliance as possible.  The question will come up asking if
> your product is not only Bellcore compliant but even certification of
> that compliance may be required.  If you are not Bellcore compliant,
> then you will need to demonstrate a clear path for that compliance.  I
> know that we lost a sale to (among a few other things) to a slight
> lack of Bellcore compliance.

Please excuse me for dragging out a topic that very few people
probably care about, but I can feel lawyers breathing down my neck...

I feel compelled (by those lawyers breathing down my neck) to note
that, while the above may very well be true, the decision about
whether or not to purchase a given product is a decision made by a
Regional Company and/or an Operating Company, most emphatically *not*
by Bellcore.  Conformance to requirements is one factor which the
Regional or Operating Company uses to make its purchasing decisions.
Bellcore provides the requirements and performs technical analysis of
products to determine their level of compliance with the requirements;
this information is very sensitive and provided to our clients on a
need-to-know basis only.  The information can be used by our clients
as input to their decision-making process -- and, I grant, compliance
with requirements is often a large factor -- but I want to make very
clear that Bellcore does not in any way, shape, or form consult with
the Regional or Operating Companies on their purchasing decisions.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled Digest.

> DISCLAIMER: I am not in charge of compliance here, nor do I speak for
> the company and I am NOT an expert on Bellcore compliance.  What I
> present here are just impressions while working on a product to be
> sold to the telecom industry.

My disclaimer: I just work here; I'm not a lawyer and am not
exceedingly familiar with the procedures for technical analysis; but,
I am sufficiently aware of Bellcore's position in the regulatory and
legal arenas that if a Bellcore lawyer thought I so much as implied
that Bellcore helps our clients make their purchasing decisions, he'd
fry my fingers and I'd never type again.

David G Lewis				...!bellcore!nvuxr!deej
     (@ Bellcore Navesink Research & Engineering Center)
		"If this is paradise, I wish I had a lawnmower."