[comp.dcom.telecom] Use of Cellular In The Air

gutierre@nsipo.arc.nasa.gov (Robert Michael Gutierrez) (11/22/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0524m03@vector.dallas.tx.us> you write:

>A friend who works at KOMO Radio in Seattle told me that their air
>traffic guy during drive time was told by THE FCC to stop using a
>cellular phone from his small plane.  They said it was ILLEGAL!.....

This brings up a point with what radio-bandwith to use for traffic
reporting. With the banning of (obviously) useful Celluar in airplanes
and restrictions on using a VERY narrow spectrum in regular 2-way
radio, what are they left with. Is Airphone developed enough to use in
small planes, or are they allowed to use it at all???

A traffic monitoring company in Los Angeles got busted ("fined") by
the FCC for using regular business-band radios to do traffic
reporting. They complained that there was no other way to report
traffic since they had (just back then) banned celluar in airplanes,
and the 2-way radio space allocated for that purpose was hopelessly
overcrowded.

Date: Tue, 21 Nov 89 10:53:28 -0800
From: Robert Michael Gutierrez <gutierre@nsipo.arc.nasa.gov>
Subject: Re: TELecom USA

In article <telecom-v09i0525m01@vector.dallas.tx.us> you write:

>In article <telecom-v09i0523m10@vector.dallas.tx.us>, telecom@eecs.nwu.edu
>(TELECOM Moderator) writes:

>>   "If you are an equal-access dial one-plus customer of Telecom*USA,
>> you can enjoy these benefits:

>>    Easy Dialing: Dial 1 + 700 + 7 digit number within your area code.

>This can't work here. The San Francisco LATA is comprised of three
>area codes: 415, 707, and the very northern part of 408...........

Actually, this CAN work here in the Bay Area.

Remember, 700 is just an entry in the local telco route table
directing the call to the default IXC (L.D. carrier). The L.D. carrier
would then see the incoming ANI, and the switch would just translate
700-NXX-0000 to ANI/NPA-NXX-0000. You would still have to dial
NPA-NXX-0000 for other A/C's.  This though, leads to other problems,
in that the L.D. carriers are screaming that when intra-lata
competition comes around, the LEC's (local telco's) want 10XXX
dialling, but the L.D. carriers want something more simpler. Remember,
700-NXX-XXXX is the only area code that does automatic routing to a
L.D. carrier *right now* (other than standard inter-lata NPA's).

MCI uses their 700#'s for their virtual private network ("VNET"), but
all that is is a fancy telephone number translator (2 of them to be
precise, in West Orange, NJ. and Richardson, TX). Each MCI switch has
to poll those places (they're VAXes) to translate the incoming 700# to
either a POTS (regular) telephone number or a switch-location and
trunk.

(Then Linc observed)
>Hmm.  The other question is, is it legal?  In some areas, such as our
>own wonderful state of California, Pacific*Bell has a legal monopoly
>on all intra-LATA traffic.  No one else is allowed to offer service.
>The Telecom*USA service would clearly violate this provision.

Not for long. Part of Pac*Hell.....uhhh, Pac*Bell's 3-part plan of
de-tarriffing services is in Plan 3, "they" will allow intra-lata
competition from other carriers, like MCI, Sprint, etc.  This is
supposed to be next year sometime???

>As for the rates being cheaper, I often use my MCI card for intra-LATA
>toll calls, because it is often much cheaper than using my Pac*Bell
>card.......

This is true ONLY because the L.D. carriers dont have the facilities
to implement routing-tables to block intra-lata calls. The problem is
you have to set 2 tables, a look-up for origination and destination.
Those tables HAVE to be local to the switch, there's no way a switch
is going to poll some overloaded computer at a remote location for the
look-up tables, especially is you call is speeding through a DMS-250
in milliseconds.  You'd slow down your traffic by 30-40 percent. A
good batallion of lawyers would have any PUC decision to block such
calls overturned faster than you can dial 976-STUD.

>......  First of all, I don't have to pay a $0.40 surcharge (if I'm
>calling from anywhere in my home area code), and secondly the per-
>minute charges are often lower than Pac*Bell's..........

Exactly. You're taking advantage of 2 things. One, that MCI has lower
rates to begin with, and 2nd, that MCI has that "Around-Town" feature
which makes your call look like a direct-dialed call. Pac*Bull...uhhh
(sorry), Pac*Bell charges you station-to-station for coin calls, or
surcharges you for card calls.

Remember though, MCI can *NOT* refund intra-lata calls. Many people
have tried to using courts-lawyers-PUC's-etc, but this is the only
rule nobody (right on up to CEO Bill McGowan) can bend. The only time
it can happen is if a Customer Service rep is brand new, and doesn't
see the "*Intralata Call - MCI May Not Serve*" warning on the pricing
screen on her terminal.

laubach@aspen.iag.hp.com (Mark Laubach) (11/23/89)

You may want to check archives for rec.aviation for more detail on
this one.  Basically, the Federal Aviation Regulations (FARs)
specifically prohibit the use *any* passenger-carried electronic
devices aboard an aircraft, except for a limited few things, like
electric shavers, tape cassette players, etc.  Anything that receives
and/or transmits is deemed to be a possible source of interference for
the sensitive navigation and communication systems on board the
aircraft.

I don't have the FARs handy or I would quote the section for you.

Mark Laubach
Hewlett-Packard, and Private Pilot

john@zygot.ati.com (John Higdon) (11/23/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0527m04@vector.dallas.tx.us>, gutierre@nsipo.arc.
nasa.gov (Robert Michael Gutierrez) writes:

> A traffic monitoring company in Los Angeles got busted ("fined") by
> the FCC for using regular business-band radios to do traffic
> reporting. They complained that there was no other way to report
> traffic since they had (just back then) banned celluar in airplanes,
> and the 2-way radio space allocated for that purpose was hopelessly
> overcrowded.

There is a small number of two-way channels that are permitted to be
used for "on-air" feeds. In metropolitan areas these channels are so
scarce that broadcasters have "frequency coodinating committees" made
up of station representatives so that maximum use can be made of the
limited resources.

It has been recognized that traffic reporting services somehow need to
be included in the allocation considerations for these auxillary
broadcast channels. Unfortunately, at least from the meetings that I
have attended and been told about, the traffic reporters are
incredibly arrogant and make excessive demands concerning the use of
these channels. In the San Francisco area, there are two traffic
services (Traffic Central and Metro Traffic--are there others?) who
seem to feel that their business takes precedence over normal
broadcast licensee use of these bands.

In any event, it has long been understood that under no circumstances
can cellular phones be used for this purpose.

    john@zygot.ati.com      | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !