[comp.dcom.telecom] Telecomm*USA Wants Your Local Phone Calls, Too

telecom@eecs.nwu.edu (TELECOM Moderator) (11/20/89)

Telecom*USA claims they are now in a position to be your carrier for
phone calls within your own area code as well as interstate.

In a brochure entitled, "Dial 700 For Convenience and Savings",
Telecom*USA states,

  "You've always been able to access the quality and savings of
Telecom*USA service for your long distance calls outside your area
code. Now we are making it easier for you to place calls <within your
own area code>..  [emphasis is theirs].

  "If you are an equal-access dial one-plus customer of Telecom*USA,
you can enjoy these benefits:

   Easy Dialing: Dial 1 + 700 + 7 digit number within your area code.

   Billing Convenience: Now, calls made within your area code will
   appear on your Telecom*USA bill with 700 dialing.

   Volume Discounts: These calls may contribute toward, and receive
   volume discounts, depending on your Telecom*USA plan of service.
   This may result in additional savings for you.

"By using 700 Dialing, you will enjoy Telecom*USA digital quality and
convenience on calls that may otherwise be carried and billed by your
local telephone company.

"Dialing to locations <outside> your area code has not changed. Just
dial 1 + Area Code + Number.  [their emphasis]

"If you have any questions about this convenient dialing method, call
the National Customer Service Center at 1-800-728-7000 or 1-319-366-6600."

Why yes, I do have a couple questions:  What could possibly be more
convenient about dialing eleven digits to reach a Chicago number when
I presently can dial seven?  What difference could the 'digital
quality' of Telecom*USA's network possibly make when I call from here
to my office, or for that matter, to the other side of Chicago?

And I am sure the rates would not be any cheaper! Five cents more or
less per minute is pretty cheap. I'm sure Telecom*USA would charge more.

It may be however that their plan is a good one in places where a
single area code covers an entire state and long distance charges are
incurred on such calls, at the notorious rates allowed on intrastate
calls by some state regulators.

If anyone thinks  it is worth looking into, give them a call at the
number mentioned above. I have my two lines both default to the Mother
Company, although for the life of me there are times I wonder why I
remain loyal. I only use 10835 on an occassional basis, and as such,
am not eligible for the 700 intra-area code plan, which as mentioned,
is worthless to me anyway.

Patrick Townson

john@zygot.ati.com (John Higdon) (11/21/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0523m10@vector.dallas.tx.us>, telecom@eecs.nwu.edu
(TELECOM Moderator) writes:

>   "If you are an equal-access dial one-plus customer of Telecom*USA,
> you can enjoy these benefits:
>
>    Easy Dialing: Dial 1 + 700 + 7 digit number within your area code.

This can't work here. The San Francisco LATA is comprised of three
area codes: 415, 707, and the very northern part of 408. Most of 408
is in another LATA. I have local calls that require dialing 415, and
inter-LATA calls that are seven digits. Most numbers in 408 are either
purely local (zone 1) or inter-LATA.

So how would one dial intra-LATA calls from my 408 phone to 415 and
707 telephones using "1 + 700 + 7 digit number"?

    john@zygot.ati.com      | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

[Moderator's Note: Actually, I guess you wouldn't make much use of it
there, any more than I would here in Chicago calling a few blocks away
to a place in 708. I think the 700 plan is only beneficial where all
or a large part of a state is in the same area code. It would probably
be beneficial in places like Montana, Wyoming, Arizona, etc where
there is much empty space and relatively small local calling areas.  PT]

rmadison@euler.berkeley.edu (Linc Madison) (11/21/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0523m10@vector.dallas.tx.us> you write:

>Telecom*USA claims they are now in a position to be your carrier for
>phone calls within your own area code as well as interstate.

>  "If you are an equal-access dial one-plus customer of Telecom*USA,
>you can enjoy these benefits:

>   Easy Dialing: Dial 1 + 700 + 7 digit number within your area code.
>           =========================================

>Why yes, I do have a couple questions:

>And I am sure the rates would not be any cheaper! Five cents more or
>less per minute is pretty cheap. I'm sure Telecom*USA would charge more.

>It may be however that their plan is a good one in places where a
>single area code covers an entire state and long distance charges are
>incurred on such calls, at the notorious rates allowed on intrastate
>calls by some state regulators.

Hmm.  The other question is, is it legal?  In some areas, such as our
own wonderful state of California, Pacific*Bell has a legal monopoly
on all intra-LATA traffic.  No one else is allowed to offer service.
The Telecom*USA service would clearly violate this provision.

As for the rates being cheaper, I often use my MCI card for intra-LATA
toll calls, because it is often much cheaper than using my Pac*Bell
card.  First of all, I don't have to pay a $0.40 surcharge (if I'm
calling from anywhere in my home area code), and secondly the per-
minute charges are often lower than Pac*Bell's.  I can call Los
Angeles on any LDC cheaper than Pac*Bell to Santa Cruz, 5 times
closer.  Of course, New York is cheaper still.  When I use the MCI
card, though, I have to dial 32 digits instead off 7, although I only
use it when the alternative would be to dial 25 (0+415+number; Calling
Card).

Hope that makes sense.

   Linc Madison   =   rmadison@euler.berkeley.edu

cowan@marob.masa.com (John Cowan) (11/23/89)

(TELECOM Moderator) writes:

>Telecom*USA claims they are now in a position to be your carrier for
>phone calls within your own area code as well as interstate.

>  "If you are an equal-access dial one-plus customer of Telecom*USA,

[omitted]

>you can enjoy these benefits:

>   Easy Dialing: Dial 1 + 700 + 7 digit number within your area code.

>   Billing Convenience: Now, calls made within your area code will
>   appear on your Telecom*USA bill with 700 dialing.

[omitted]

>Why yes, I do have a couple questions:  What could possibly be more
>convenient about dialing eleven digits to reach a Chicago number when
>I presently can dial seven?  What difference could the 'digital
>quality' of Telecom*USA's network possibly make when I call from here
>to my office, or for that matter, to the other side of Chicago?

The "convenience" referred to is billing convenience -- all toll calls on
one bill -- not dialing convenience.

>And I am sure the rates would not be any cheaper! Five cents more or
>less per minute is pretty cheap. I'm sure Telecom*USA would charge more.

>It may be however that their plan is a good one in places where a
>single area code covers an entire state and long distance charges are
>incurred on such calls, at the notorious rates allowed on intrastate
>calls by some state regulators.

Exactly.  California area codes are typically immense, and intrastate
calls there are exorbitant.  However, the betting is that Telecom
can't legally offer the service intrastate without local PUC
recognition.  That isn't to say that they can't >do< it, just that
they may find themselves in trouble later.

>I only use 10835 on an occassional basis, and as such,
>am not eligible for the 700 intra-area code plan, which as mentioned,
>is worthless to me anyway.

Probably the system will work fine if you dial 10835 + 1 + 700 +
NXX-XXXX.  As far as I can tell, LD carriers simply don't know whether
you come in with 1+ or 10XXX + 1 +.

levin@bbn.com (Joel B. Levin) (11/23/89)

>From: Robert Michael Gutierrez <gutierre@nsipo.arc.nasa.gov>

>Actually, this CAN work here in the Bay Area.

>Remember, 700 is just an entry in the local telco route table
>directing the call to the default IXC (L.D. carrier). The L.D. carrier
>would then see the incoming ANI, and the switch would just translate
  . . .
>in that the L.D. carriers are screaming that when intra-lata
>competition comes around, the LEC's (local telco's) want 10XXX
>dialling, but the L.D. carriers want something more simpler. Remember,
>700-NXX-XXXX is the only area code that does automatic routing to a
>L.D. carrier *right now* (other than standard inter-lata NPA's).

I'm not quite sure what this means.  700 goes to an IXC (or IEC or IC
or OCC or L.D.carrier) just the same as any other NPA does except 800
and (I think) 900.  It's just that the LD company gets to use it for
its own special purposes instead of as a destination designator.  ATT
uses it, among other things, to give callers access to conference
calling facilities.  All carriers use 700-555-4141 for carrier
identification.  700 acts just like any standard NPA in the presence
or absence of a 10XXX code; you can allow selection of your default
carrier, or you may specify any carrier that supports 700.

Nets: levin@bbn.com  |
 or {...}!bbn!levin  |
POTS: (617)873-3463  |

tad@ssc.UUCP (Tad Cook) (11/24/89)

Regarding Telecom USA's deal of selling long distance service within
your local NPA, I got a similar offer from a Portland, Oregon based
carrier called Call US.  For calls within my area code, I dial 10212
then 1+7digits.  It saves a little bit over what US West charges me
for intra-LATA toll calls.

I think the calls all go from my home in Seattle to Call US's switch
in Portland, then via AT&T circuits (which they resell) back into the
206 area code.

Tad Cook
tad@ssc.UUCP