[comp.dcom.telecom] Calling Number Delivery According to Bellcore

w_smith@wookie.enet.dec.com (Willie Smith, LTN Components Eng.) (11/16/89)

This is not an attempt to start the CLID wars and associated ratholes
that so clogged this Digest in the past few months.  On a more
technical bent:

I got the Bellcore Technical References (thanks to the reader who
sent in the pointer!) for:

CLASS (SM) Feature: Calling Number Delivery	TR-TSY-000031
	which is the technical spec on how CND (widely discussed in
	TELECOM as Calling Line ID) works, and;

SPCS/Customer Premises Equipment Data Interface	TR-TSY-00030
	which is the low level details of how the data gets over the
	phone lines from the telco to your house.

They are about $25 each from Bellcore (201) 699-5800 [there's also a
toll-free number, but I don't seem to have it handy], and are well
worth the price, as they answer a lot of the questions that come up in
this Digest.

Anyway, I've got a few observations and questions:

1)  The basic interface is a 1200 baud FSK data stream between the first and
	second rings.  The interface is not supposed to work in an off-
	hook state, though it might be interesting to see if they really
	work that way.  All kinds of spoofing might be possible if the
	box depends on the fact that the CO will not send data when the
	phone is off-hook...

2)  You need a computer to decode the data, as there's a fair amount of
	complexity, including a checksum and multiple messages.  The
	interface is kind of general, so you could do several different
	things with it.  One use that seems built into the spec is
	message-waiting (as used in hotels).  Does anyone know any other
	uses?  Is it worth making a transciever (so you can talk back to
	the telco) or should you only bother with a reciever if you are
	going to 'roll your own'?  If you have a computer, you could
	build the interface (a simple FSK modem) pretty cheap!  Does anyone
	know if any of the commercial units have an RS-232 output?

3)  CND (CLID) is available in two different flavors, "subscription" is
	the usual one, where you sign up for it once, CND is used for all
	calls into your house, and you are billed (I assume) monthly.  The
	other option is "usage-sensitive", where you still have to sign up
	for the service (and I imagine pay a connection fee), but you can
	turn it on and off at will by dialing *65 or *85 (on and off
	respectively, numbers may vary in your area).  This service appears
	to be billed on a 'number of CNDs sucessfully delivered'.  Why would
	anyone use the "usage-sensitive" option?

4)  The calling directory number, "if available and can be disclosed",
	is transmitted to you.  See TR-TSY-000391 for details on blocking.
	I'm not that concerned about it, but if you are, spend the $25 or so
	and get the info from the source.  Then maybe we can have a reasoned
	discussion with facts and such.  Nawww....  :+)

5)  Here's an interesting option I don't remember hearing discussed.  The
	calling party can dial a 4-digit (or longer) PIN that will be displayed
	instead of the calling DN.  This brings up some rather interesting
	questions on spoofing or hiding your number, does anyone know if the
	commonly used boxes differentiate between DN (directory number) and
	PIN?  I believe it's in the low-level protocol, but it would appear
	to be implementation-dependent as to how it's displayed.

6)  Another neat future use mentioned in passing is an interface to directory
	assistance or another database to provide calling party name instead of
	calling DN.  Yes the low level spec will pass ASCII, do any of the
	current boxes allow display of alphanumerics?

7)  The requirement for a customer initiated testing number is "desirable".
	This would allow the customer to dial a special number, hang up, and
	get a series of test transmissions (display each digit in each
	position, etc).  Do any of the CND trials out there provide such a
	service?

8)  The various call forwarding options send the originating number to the
	far end.  In other words, a call from A to B that gets forwarded to
	C should deliver A's number to C.

9)  Automatic Callback is the only instance I found where the CND shows a
        'private' number.  This section is a but hard to describe, but
        basically:  [See TR-TSY-000215 for more information]

        If I call someone with an unlisted number (I already know
        their number!) then fire up AC, when the connection
	is made and I get a special ring signal, that
        number shows up on _my_ box (so I know who I'm
	calling back).

        If I didn't put the number in in the first place and it's
        a 'private' number, then I'll get a privacy
        indication.

10) In a Centrex, you may only get the extension number on your box.

Anyway, they seem to have thought this all out pretty carefully, and
it's a very well written set of documents, so if you have more
questions, you can try Emailing me, but the definitive answers are
directly available.  Kind of pricey if you get all the associated
documents, but that's life.

I called New England Telephone to try to figure out when this feature
would be available in my area, but the customer service rep didn't
know what I was talking about.  In fact, references to Bellcore didn't
seem to ring any bells with her either (sorry :+).  She went away for
a while doing some research on the question and came back with the
response that they had no idea when that might be available on (508)
369-xxxx, but if I call back when the strike is over and they get back
on their feet, they might have a better idea....

This has nothing to do with my employer!

Willie Smith
w_smith@wookie.enet.dec.com
w_smith%wookie.enet.dec.com@decwrl.dec.com
{Usenet!Backbone}!decwrl!wookie.enet.dec.com!w_smith

nogeea@asuvax.EAS.ASU.EDU (Allen Nogee) (11/17/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0515m01@vector.dallas.tx.us>, w_smith@wookie.enet.
dec.com (Willie Smith, LTN Components Eng.) writes:

> 1)  The basic interface is a 1200 baud FSK data stream between the first and
> 	second rings.  The interface is not supposed to work in an off-
> 	hook state, though it might be interesting to see if they really
> 	work that way.  All kinds of spoofing might be possible if the
> 	box depends on the fact that the CO will not send data when the
> 	phone is off-hook...

The hardware I designed for our switch (GTE) does work on or off hook.
So do the boxes I've tested. Whether the software will allow it is
another question.  I guess it all depends if you mind hearing FSKT
tones in your ear if you pick up your phone too fast.

> 6)  Another neat future use mentioned in passing is an interface to directory
> 	assistance or another database to provide calling party name instead of
> 	calling DN.  Yes the low level spec will pass ASCII, do any of the
> 	current boxes allow display of alphanumerics?

The future for ASCII is there but the boxes I've tested couldn't do
it. I fact, The AT&T box I tested couldn't even display more than 7
digits.  The only message type supported at present is 4, digits only.

deej@bellcore.bellcore.com (David Lewis) (11/18/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0515m01@vector.dallas.tx.us>, w_smith@wookie.enet.dec.
com (Willie Smith, LTN Components Eng.) writes:

> I got the Bellcore Technical References (thanks to the reader who
> sent in the pointer!) for:

> CLASS (SM) Feature: Calling Number Delivery	TR-TSY-000031
> 	which is the technical spec on how CND (widely discussed in
> 	TELECOM as Calling Line ID) works, and;

> SPCS/Customer Premises Equipment Data Interface	TR-TSY-00030
> 	which is the low level details of how the data gets over the
> 	phone lines from the telco to your house.

One thing to keep in mind is that Bellcore TRs are essentially written
to the industry to provide requirements for manufacturers; the
manufacturers are free to implement products in exact compliance to
the Bellcore TRs or not, as they see fit.  In other words, the TRs
specify how Bellcore says the product/service/system *should* work,
which may or may not be the same as the way it *does* work.

> They are about $25 each from Bellcore (201) 699-5800 [there's also a
> toll-free number, but I don't seem to have it handy]

1-800-521-CORE (2673)

> and are well
> worth the price, as they answer a lot of the questions that come up in
> this Digest.

Gosh, it's nice to know someone appreciates us...

> 3)  CND (CLID) is available in two different flavors, "subscription" is
> 	the usual one, where you sign up for it once, CND is used for all
> 	calls into your house, and you are billed (I assume) monthly.  The
> 	other option is "usage-sensitive", where you still have to sign up
> 	for the service (and I imagine pay a connection fee), but you can
> 	turn it on and off at will by dialing *65 or *85 (on and off
> 	respectively, numbers may vary in your area).  This service appears
> 	to be billed on a 'number of CNDs sucessfully delivered'.  Why would
> 	anyone use the "usage-sensitive" option?

This is one place where the above comment comes in.  Bellcore wrote
the requirements to permit either subscription or usage-sensitive
billing.  Equipment vendors may or may not have built their products
to permit either subscription or usage-sensitive billing; I don't
honestly know.  The local telco then has the option to sell the
service as either subscription or usage-sensitive; I don't know if any
telcos have offered it as usage-sensitive.  The point of the
requirements is to define the technical capabilities which should be
available, not the choice of how to sell them -- which is a business
decision, which Bellcore emphatically does *not* recommend anything
about.  (In fact, we have standard disclaimer notices which say,
essentially, "we have nothing to do with decisions about pricing,
sales, or anything else that could draw out the nasty C-word,
collusion...")

> 5)  Here's an interesting option I don't remember hearing discussed.  The
> 	calling party can dial a 4-digit (or longer) PIN that will be displayed
> 	instead of the calling DN.

Again -- this is in the TR, but may not be implemented currently or
offered currently.  Calling Number Delivery Blocking is also in the
TR, but I don't know if any telco is offering it.

> 6)  Another neat future use mentioned in passing is an interface to directory
> 	assistance or another database to provide calling party name instead of
> 	calling DN.

Ditto above.

> 7)  The requirement for a customer initiated testing number is "desirable".
> 	This would allow the customer to dial a special number, hang up, and
> 	get a series of test transmissions (display each digit in each
> 	position, etc).  Do any of the CND trials out there provide such a
> 	service?

Things which are "desirable" are even less likely to have been
implemented than things which are "required"...

> Anyway, they seem to have thought this all out pretty carefully, and
> it's a very well written set of documents, so if you have more
> questions, you can try Emailing me, but the definitive answers are
> directly available.  Kind of pricey if you get all the associated
> documents, but that's life.

Gee thanks...  And just think -- every dollar you pay Bellcore for
documents is one dollar less that has to come out of various people's
phone bills to pay my salary!!

> I called New England Telephone to try to figure out when this feature
> would be available in my area, but the customer service rep didn't
> know what I was talking about.  In fact, references to Bellcore didn't
> seem to ring any bells with her either (sorry :+).

Hey, don't sweat it -- some telco people don't even know (or particularly
care) which holding company they're owned by...

> This has nothing to do with my employer!

It does, however, have everything to do with mine...

David G Lewis					...!bellcore!nvuxr!deej
	(@ Bellcore Navesink Research & Engineering Center)
			"If this is paradise, I wish I had a lawnmower."

scott@gatech.edu (Scott Barman) (11/21/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0519m02@vector.dallas.tx.us> nvuxr!deej@bellcore.
bellcore.com (David Lewis) writes:

>One thing to keep in mind is that Bellcore TRs are essentially written
>to the industry to provide requirements for manufacturers; the
>manufacturers are free to implement products in exact compliance to
>the Bellcore TRs or not, as they see fit.  In other words, the TRs
>specify how Bellcore says the product/service/system *should* work,
>which may or may not be the same as the way it *does* work.

Caveat on the above (since we've been through these problems here): If
you are with a company wanting to do business with the RBOCs, then you
should really consider implementing your product/etc. to as close to
exact compliance as possible.  The question will come up asking if
your product is not only Bellcore compliant but even certification of
that compliance may be required.  If you are not Bellcore compliant,
then you will need to demonstrate a clear path for that compliance.  I
know that we lost a sale to (among a few other things) to a slight
lack of Bellcore compliance.

Now if you are dealing with some of the smaller carriers, this is not
as much of an issue as long as you are willing to comply to their
requirements and come close to the Bellcore standards.  Sometimes, if
you can come up with something unique and first (like a 3/1
cross-connect switch), you can get away with not being exactly
Bellcore compliant (however, we still have to show a plan for future
compliance).

Based on things I've heard, I would suggest that if you are designing
a product, the physical standards are very important--especially for
the RBOCs.  Standards like rack sizes and depth are very important
because of the floor plans of many of the central offices already in
existance.

DISCLAIMER: I am not in charge of compliance here, nor do I speak for
the company and I am NOT an expert on Bellcore compliance.  What I
present here are just impressions while working on a product to be
sold to the telecom industry.

scott barman
{gatech, emory}!nastar!scott

schulman@umd5.umd.edu (Marty Schulman) (11/27/89)

Regarding Incoming Caller Identification (or whatever you call the service
that transmits the number of the originating telephone between the 1st and
2nd rings):

1. Could somebody offer a brief list of telephones which will *not* be
	reported correctly (i.e. will people using PBX's have their number
	displayed properly?  What about people calling long distance through
	various long distance companies?  Are there other exceptions within
	the local dialing area?  And do I get just the last seven digits, or
	area code too?)

2. With Call Waiting, my phone conversations are interrupted with two brief
	beeps when somebody's trying to call me.  Suppose the telephone
	company wanted to replace those smooth-sounding beeps with FSK data
	bursts containing the number of the person calling.  Would it entail
	an extensive modification to their equipment?  Given the amplitude
	levels required by the decoding equipment, would the new "beeps" be
	too loud or "rude"?  And if I was in the middle of a sentence when
	the FSK tones arrived, would the decoder be able to read them?

Just curious.  Thanks for any and all responses.