[comp.dcom.telecom] What Happened to the EOBS Book?

jimmyk@dasys1.UUCP (James Kirchner) (11/16/89)

	AT&T Bell Labs used to publish a book called Engineering and
Operations in the Bell System, known among Bell Labs employees as
"EOBS".  Does anyone know if any revised copies were printed/published
after 1983?  If so, does anyone know how to obtain this book?  Thanks.

bmk@mvuxi.att.com (Bernard Mckeever) (11/18/89)

The question was asked.

>	AT&T Bell Labs used to publish a book called Engineering and
>Operations in the Bell System, known among Bell Labs employees as
>"EOBS".  Does anyone know if any revised copies were printed/published
>after 1983?  If so, does anyone know how to obtain this book?  Thanks.

The answer is, alas, NO.  Only two issues were available, and both used
very different formats. My favorite is still issue I. The Foreword to
issue II states that because of divestiture ...etc this is the final
edition. The following information may be of some help if you are
looking for a copy.

International Standard Book Number 0-932764-04-5

Library of Congress Catalog Number 83-72956

AT&T Customer Information Center Select Code 500-478

As mentioned in Issue II the book was intended for new members of the
Bell Labs technical staff, but it also served as a general reference
for a much wider audience.

rjh@yclept.chi.il.us (Randolph J. Herber) (11/29/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0517m07@vector.dallas.tx.us> jimmyk@dasys1.UUCP
(James Kirchner) writes:

>	AT&T Bell Labs used to publish a book called Engineering and
>Operations in the Bell System, known among Bell Labs employees as
>"EOBS".  Does anyone know if any revised copies were printed/published
>after 1983?  If so, does anyone know how to obtain this book?  Thanks.

I know that it was reprinted as late as 1986 -- I have a copy so dated.
<My wife has a copy of the 1st edition printed in 1978.>

The book is Select Code 500-478.
<Her copy also has a Select Code 500-478.>

It is ordered via the AT&T Customer Information Center.
><I checked this last summer and at that time, at least, the second
edition was still orderable.>

Call 1-800-432-6600 (U.S.A, maybe Canada), or 1-800-255-1242 (Canada).

Write AT&T Customer Information Center
      P.O. Box 19901
      Indianapolis, IN  46219

	Randolph J. Herber, Computer Polymath,