[comp.dcom.telecom] Home KSU ???

djb@loligo.cc.fsu.edu (Dave Brightbill) (11/14/89)

Recently, someone wrote about an electronic KSU which allowed the use
of PVP's (plain vanalia phones).  I've called around to several of the
1-800 phone suppliers (OAI, Commonwealth, etc.) and they all denied
such a beast exists.  I have need for a system with 2 CO lines and 6
or 8 extensions.  Suggestions welcome.

David Brightbill
{gatech}!loligo!djb  djb@loligo.uucp

macy@fmsystm.UUCP (Macy Hallock) (11/16/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0509m04@vector.dallas.tx.us> djb@loligo.cc.fsu.edu
(Dave Brightbill) writes:

>Recently, someone wrote about an electronic KSU which allowed the use
>of PVP's (plain vanalia phones).  I've called around to several of the
>1-800 phone suppliers (OAI, Commonwealth, etc.) and they all denied
>such a beast exists.  I have need for a system with 2 CO lines and 6
>or 8 extensions.  Suggestions welcome.

Try the Panasonic KX-T308 Key System.  You will need one of their
KX-T30830 phones to program it.  Try the mail order discounters (Many
are in New York City) for this.  Still can't find it?  E-mail me and I
will help.

ON this same note: A gentlemen from St. Louis asked me to assist him
with these same units, and I lost his mail in a system upgrade (?)
here.  Please e-mail me again...sorry for the inconvenience...

Gee, I mention these Panasonic systems to so many people, I wish they
would give me a kickback, but I'm only a local dealer/installer of
them.  But I sure like to sell them around here...

 Macy M. Hallock, Jr.     macy@NCoast.ORG         uunet!aablue!fmsystm!macy
 F M Systems, Inc.      {uunet!backbone}!cwjcc.cwru.edu!ncoast!fmsystm!macy
 150 Highland Drive      Voice: +1 216 723-3000 Ext 251  Fax: +1 216 723-3223
 Medina, Ohio 44256 USA   Cleveland:273-3000 Akron:239-4994 (Dial 251 at tone)
 (Insert favorite disclaimer here)   (What if I gave a .sig and nobody cared?)

dhk@teletech.uucp (Don H Kemp) (11/17/89)

>From article <telecom-v09i0509m04@vector.dallas.tx.us>, by djb@loligo.cc.fsu.
edu (Dave Brightbill):

> Recently, someone wrote about an electronic KSU which allowed the use
> of PVP's (plain vanilla phones).  I've called around to several of the
> 1-800 phone suppliers (OAI, Commonwealth, etc.) and they all denied
> such a beast exists.

> David Brightbill

Try Panasonic.  Their _analog_ electronic key systems will accept
either a propriatary _or_ 2500-type set on any port.  You do need,
however, at least one electronic display set, in order to program the
beastie. (Can't lay my hands on the documentation right now, but they
come in three line and six line flavors)

Don H Kemp			"Always listen to experts.  They'll
B B & K Associates, Inc.         tell you what can't be done, and
Rutland, VT			 why.  Then do it."
uunet!uvm-gen!teletech!dhk	  	               Lazarus Long

cy@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Cyril Bauer) (11/23/89)

I would sugest the 616. I don't know if panasonic left is alone but
the one that I bought 3 years + ago doesn't need any special phone to
program it. This made it about the same price as the 308 and gave me 6
lines and 16 stations. Has worked out great for me.

UUCP: {amdahl!bungia, uunet!rosevax, crash}!orbit!pnet51!cy
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!cy@nosc.mil
INET: cy@pnet51.orb.mn.org

myerston@cts.sri.com (11/28/89)

     Panasonic did "improve" the 616 as Cyril Bauer mentions.  The
new model is the 61610 which is improved by:

     o  Being able to use 616XX phone which look like normal Key Sets
        (and require 4 wires)
     o  Deleting the very useful 25-pair connector on the 616
     o  Requiring at least one 616XX with LCD set to program
     o  Adding an option card which supports 2 doorphones

     Either is a great buy if you can find one.  Several I have
installed have been humming away for 4 or 5 years with 0 trouble.
You could probably cost-justify one every six months vs Merlin.

clements@bbn.com (11/30/89)

Following the thread on the Panasonic KX-T61610 small PBX...
I have had mine for a week now.  Mostly it's real neat.

>      The new model is the 61610 which is improved by:
>     [...]
>      o  Deleting the very useful 25-pair connector on the 616

I haven't seen the older model, but I agree it is a pain getting
those 22 modular connectors wired over to a 66-block.  I bought out
my local Radio Shack's supply of crimp-on modular connectors.

>      o  Requiring at least one 616XX with LCD set to program

It gives you a sort-of menu based input system using the text LCD
on that phone.  But I can't see any good reason for not supporting
programming via a 2500 set.  It won't do it, though.

I finally gave in to the urge to look inside it last night.  The
technology is impressive.  Two pretty-high tech PC boards, one
with all the line interface logic and one with the
controller/touch-tone and switching matrix.  Lots of very dense
ASICs with all those tiny tiny legs :-)

The processor looks like a fairly standard member of the Hitachi
6300 family, with a 7.6 MHz crystal.  It looks as though the
program is in an external masked ROM, the only socketed chip
in the system.

I wonder whether I'll get carried away and try to disassemble the
code to fix some features.

    [An aside: The last major disassembly I did was the code in
    my Atari "Superman" pinball machine.  I was real impressed.
    I found a true multitasking real-time operating system with
    process spawning and run queues AND a pseudo-code interpreter
    for a pinball-oriented instruction set with recursion and
    conditionals.  There are "instructions" like "Turn on lamp
    N", "Test rollover contact M" and "Make noise X" as well as
    "start subprocess" and "wait for subprocess".  I had to
    teach my disassembler this new pseudo-code instruction set.]

Features I would change if I could:

    . There is an "Executive Barge-In" function, but you can only
      do it from the custom phone sets, not from a 2500 set.  And
      you can only force a conference, not a disconnect.  Since
      the "people" I want to barge in on are things like
      computers and answering machines, I want to be able to
      disconnect them, not conference with them.  The Panasonic
      answering machines drop off the line when another extension
      is picked up.  But with the PBX, they don't see the line
      characteristics change when a conference call is started,
      so they don't drop off.  This is the most serious backward
      step I observed when switching to the PBX from ordinary
      multi-line phones.

    . Some commands can only be done from the master extension
      (Extension 11. Ext numbers are 11 thru 26.) I would remove
      this restriction.  I would also beef up the programming to
      allow a 2500 set to program all features.  These two
      changes would allow external control by a computer through
      a modem or Watson interface.  Alternatively, use the RS-232
      port, but that would be a lot more work since that is just
      an output device now (except for Xon/Xoff for flow
      control).

    . To program system functions, you have to run down to the
      basement and set a "Program" switch and then go back to
      extension 11 and enter commands.  Probably they did this
      for security, so you could have the box in a locked closet.
      I would add an "Enter programming mode" and "Leave
      programming mode" function.

I wonder whether the gentleman who was controlling his 61610 with a PC
Watson board would be willing to share his PC code.  I tried to send
email to him but I don't think it got there (or the answer didn't get
back).  I'm interested in doing the same thing.

Enough for now.  Maybe we need a 61610-hackers mailing list :-)

Bob Clements, K1BC, Clements@bbn.com, [w](617)873-3612