[comp.dcom.telecom] Trival Ring Detection

toddi@yang.cpac.washington.edu (Todd Inch) (12/01/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0526m04@vector.dallas.tx.us> KLH@nic.ddn.mil
(Ken Harrenstien) writes:

>If any of the flasher devices used an all-purpose relay instead of an
>resistive-only triac I could at least invent a Rube Goldberg
>arrangement that repeatedly bashed at a controller button... :-)

The simplest, cheapest way I've found to get a relay-type ring
detector is to use the existing phone guts and ringer and replace the
core of the ringer's electromagnet with a reed switch.

Specifics: Use the network and ringer from any common, old-fashioned,
non-electronic phone (e.g. 500 or 2500 series) with a mechanical bell.

Unscrew the two screws which attach the electromagnet's core to the
ringer frame.  Slide the core (several layers of sheet iron about 1/4
inch wide and about 2 inches long) out of the electromagnet and
re-secure it to the ringer frame so you can put it back together later
if you want.

Now you've got the electromagnet coil still wired to the phone set's
network.  Just insert a reed switch in the hole left by the removed
core and you've got a controller-button-basher, or use it for whatever
else you could connect to a relay.  You could leave it inside an
existing in-use phone set and connect the reed switch to the unused
(yellow and black) phone cord pair.

Some considerations: The phone cord can't handle the current of a
table lamp if you want a Flasher, so use a heavier cable.  If you do
connect this to a digital wireless-type power controller (BTW, DAK has
'em on sale in the December catalog), you may need a shielded cable
running to the reed switch and you may need to keep the cable short to
avoid introducing noise into the controller circuits.  You may even
need to shield the switch inside the coil.

Since the original electronics is unmodified, I would think that the
FCC approval for the ringer (phone set) would still be valid, if
anybody cares.  Since the electromagnet has been physically modified,
this might change the ringer equivalence a little, I suppose.

The "reed switch": For those unfamiliar with this, it's a small,
sealed glass tube with two iron "leaves" inside which (for a normally
open switch) overlap but don't quite touch each other.  Short wires
stick out either end which you solder (sorry Ken) wires to.  The iron
leaves attract each other and act as closing switch contacts in the
presence of a magnetic field.

Where to get a reed switch: Radio Shack used to sell them in a pack of
5 or 10 assorted, but I don't see them in the new catalog.  I'm sure
someplace like Edmond Scientific has 'em.  If you're in a hurry or
lazy like me, RS has a couple of reed relays which could be taken
apart to salvage the switch (pg 132 in 1990 catalog).  Most burglar
alarm door sensors (such as RS #49-495, 49-496, 49-503) also contain
them.  If the sensor is small enough (49-496?), it will fit in the
coil as-is.  Some of these (49-496) have wires attached and are
insulated, so no soldering.

Disclaimers: This info is just from my own personal phone phreking.  I
don't even like Radio Shack, but they're handy.  Phone lines'll shock
you good when they're ringing!  Sorry about my verboseness.

Todd Inch, System Manager, Global Technology, Mukilteo WA  (206) 742-9111
UUCP: {smart-host}!gtisqr!toddi    ARPA: gtisqr!toddi@beaver.cs.washington.edu
"You are the booger in the nose of my life." - My wife, to me. (Jokingly?)
Disclaimer:  My boss will read this while checking up on me and will disagree.