[comp.dcom.telecom] Panasonic Answering Machine Problems

alexb@sharkey.cc.umich.edu (Alex Beylin) (11/24/89)

A few month ago I bought a replacement for my old Panasonic answering
machine.  I was very happy with the last one, so I bought another
Panasonic.  This time it is a KX-T1740 with two line capability.

A few weeks after connecting it up I noticed that time to time I get a
message that consists of a few clicks and nothing else.  Then I
started getting complaints from people that they leave me messages and
I do not call back.  Finally I connected the two.  Most of the time
when someone complains about me ignoring a call, I have gotten a
"click-click" message.

I returned this machine to the store and got a new one in exchange.
Same thing - some messages disappered.  It also seems that some people
are subject to this phenomena more then others, though it is rare and
so hard to duplicate that I would not want to bet on that statment.

One day I walked-in just as the machine picked up a call.  I heard
what sounded like my answering machine flashing the hook and playing
with call-waiting.

The line is a normal CO line with touch-tone and call-waiting.  The
switch is 5ESS.

Before I go and cancel my call-waiting service or send my machine to
Panasonic for more testing, thought I'd bounce this one from telecom
readers.  Anybody with a similar experience or with Panasonic
answering machines on a line with call-waiting?  Ideas, suggestions,
etc. would be appreciated.

 Alex Beylin, Unix Systems Admin.       | +1 313 948-3386
 alexb%cfctech.uucp@mailgw.cc.umich.edu | Chrysler Financial Corp.
 sharkey!cfctech!alexb                  | MIS, Distributed Systems
 ATT Mail ID: attmail!abeylin           | Southfield, MI 48034

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (11/25/89)

I have a Panasonic KX-T2420 answering machine/dialer which also
appears to have a bug.  I have been unable to enter a short phone
number into one of the memory locations which used to have a long
dialing sequence.  The extra digits in the original number just won't
go away.  My workaround was to fill up the memory with Nathan's, which
are all sent long before U S West and their usually lethargic DMS-10
switch finally get around to connecting me.

lars@salt.acc.com (Lars J Poulsen) (11/25/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0530m02@vector.dallas.tx.us> alexb@cfctech.UUCP
(Alex Beylin) writes:

>One day I walked-in just as the machine picked up a call.  I heard
>what sounded like my answering machine flashing the hook and playing
>with call-waiting.

We have heard recently here on Telecom about some ACD (Automatic Call
Distributor) systems hanging up briefly before passing a call to an
attendant in order to get rid of calls that have been abandoned while
on-hold. I can imagine an over-engineered answering machine doing the
same thing. After all, it is not uncommon for callers to abandon the
call while the answering machine is delivering the outgoing message.

If so, there is an obvious conflict with call waiting. And if this
feature is not documented in the user handbook for the device, it
probably cannot be switched off.

/ Lars Poulsen <lars@salt.acc.com>   (800) 222-7308  or (805) 963-9431 ext 358
  ACC Customer Service              Affiliation stated for identification only
                My employer probably would not agree if he knew what I said !!

JDurand@apple.com (11/26/89)

Alex Baylin comments:

>One day I walked-in just as the machine picked up a call.  I heard
>what sounded like my answering machine flashing the hook and playing
>with call-waiting.

>The line is a normal CO line with touch-tone and call-waiting.  The
>switch is 5ESS.

What is happening is while one person is trying to leave a message, a
second person calls.  The loud click you hear before and after a call
waiting tone is really a loop current drop.  Loop current is only
dropped on a normal phone call when the calling party hangs up.  Your
machine is seeing this drop and assuming the calling party has hung
up.

The fix is simple, turn off call waiting except when you are personally
using the phone.

Jerry Durand
Durand Interstellar, Inc.
jdurand@cup.portal.com

[Moderator's Note: You refer to this as simple? How do you 'turn off
call waiting except when you are personally using the phone'?  Please
explain this. I don't know how it can be done. Call waiting is
programmed in the CO; you can turn it *off* when you are using the
phone with *70; but it comes back on when you disconnect. You can never
turn it *on*, except by default when you replace the receiver.  PT]

cy@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Cyril Bauer) (11/28/89)

I have a Panasonic but don't have the same set-up as you. My past
recorder was a Panasonic too. Let me know what you find out, I've
always had good luck with them --  6 years plus service.

cy

UUCP: {amdahl!bungia, uunet!rosevax, crash}!orbit!pnet51!cy
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!cy@nosc.mil
INET: cy@pnet51.orb.mn.org

kanner@apple.com (Herbert Kanner) (11/29/89)

(Alex Beylin) writes:

>A few month ago I bought a replacement for my old Panasonic answering
>machine.  I was very happy with the last one, so I bought another
>Panasonic.  This time it is a KX-T1740 with two line capability.

>A few weeks after connecting it up I noticed that time to time I get a
>message that consists of a few clicks and nothing else.  Then I
>started getting complaints from people that they leave me messages and
>I do not call back.  Finally I connected the two.  Most of the time
>when someone complains about me ignoring a call, I have gotten a
>"click-click" message.

>I returned this machine to the store and got a new one in exchange.
>Same thing - some messages disappered.  It also seems that some people
>are subject to this phenomena more then others, though it is rare and
>so hard to duplicate that I would not want to bet on that statment.

>One day I walked-in just as the machine picked up a call.  I heard
>what sounded like my answering machine flashing the hook and playing
>with call-waiting.

>The line is a normal CO line with touch-tone and call-waiting.  The
>switch is 5ESS.

>Before I go and cancel my call-waiting service or send my machine to
>Panasonic for more testing, thought I'd bounce this one from telecom
>readers.  Anybody with a similar experience or with Panasonic
>answering machines on a line with call-waiting?  Ideas, suggestions,
>etc. would be appreciated.

I have a one-line Panasonic machine which I think has the same logic
as your two-liner.  It's model number is 1470.  There is a switch,
referred to in the instructions, which has to do with automatic
detection of a hang-up by the caller.  This hang-up produces a
momentary voltage drop on the phone line, and unfortunately call
waiting does the same thing.  The answering machine detects this drop
and disconnects.

The purpose was to avoid getting about seven seconds worth of blank
tape when your caller hangs up; you see, the answering machine will
also disconnect after enough seconds of silence.  The instruction book
said that if you had call waiting, you should flip that switch on the
answering machine and disable this rapid disconnect feature.  You
would then have to put up with these tape trailers after your caller
stops talking and hangs up.

Personally, I wouldn't have call waiting if they offered it to me for
free.

Herb Kanner
Apple Computer, Inc.
{idi,nsc}!apple!kanner
kanner@apple.com

[Moderator's Note: Funny you should mention it. Illinois Bell had a
recent promotion in which they *did* it away free to new users who
bought other custom calling features.  PT]

bote@uunet.uu.net (John Boteler) (11/30/89)

Alex Baylin comments:

portal!cup.portal.com!JDurand@apple.com replies:

>What is happening is while one person is trying to leave a message, a
>second person calls.  The loud click you hear before and after a call
>waiting tone is really a loop current drop.  Loop current is only
>dropped on a normal phone call when the calling party hangs up.  Your
>machine is seeing this drop and assuming the calling party has hung
>up.

>The fix is simple, turn off call waiting except when you are personally
>using the phone.

If Mr. Baylin indeed is served by a 5ESS switch, then the loop
current is NOT interrupted to provide a call-waiting indication.

In a 1ESS they couldn't figure out how to put tone plant on an
off-hook line without the battery going berserk, so the interruption
was necessary on those switches. The #5 doesn't exhibit this behavior;
the transition is smooth and almost unnoticeable. Feature or bug: you
be the judge.

Notwithstanding all the suggestions, I maintain that the best
solution to any call-waiting problem is to CANCEL the damned 'feature'!

Bote
NCN NudesLine  703-241-BARE  --  VOICE only, Touch-Tone (TM) accessible
{zardoz|uunet!tgate|cos!}ka3ovk!media!csense!bote

dave@uunet.uu.net (Dave Levenson) (12/01/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0532m08a@chinacat.lonestar.org>, portal!cup.portal.
com!JDurand@apple.com writes:

> Alex Baylin comments:
> >The line is a normal CO line with touch-tone and call-waiting.  The
> >switch is 5ESS.

> What is happening is while one person is trying to leave a message, a
> second person calls.  The loud click you hear before and after a call
> waiting tone is really a loop current drop.  Loop current is only
> dropped on a normal phone call when the calling party hangs up.  Your
> machine is seeing this drop and assuming the calling party has hung
> up.

This is true in 1ESS and 1A-ESS.  Moreover, on these switches, you can
get a loop-drop even if you don't have call-waiting.  If the party
you're conversing with on an intra-office call has call-waiting and
gets beeped, you get a loop interruption while he or she gets beeped.

But on 5ESS, you get a beep, the other end gets nothing, and nobody
gets an open-loop.  Either the switch is not a 5ESS, or the problem
isn't call-waiting.

Dave Levenson                Voice: (201) 647 0900
Westmark, Inc.               Internet: dave@westmark.uu.net
Warren, NJ, USA              UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
[The Man in the Mooney]      AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave