[comp.dcom.telecom] NJ A/C Split and Cellular

judice@sulaco.enet.dec.com (Louis J. Judice 27-Nov-1989 0951) (11/27/89)

Of course the fun thing about the impending A/C split here is how it
will confuse cellular users...

It will be almost mandatory to use at least 10-digit dialing on most
calls.  Along the 201/908 border it's fairly hilly, and the location
of most of the cell sites.

What A/C you're synched up with will be virtually random - in fact I
live on a hill in Somerset County, and it's almost hit or miss when
dialing near the house whether I end up on a Bernardsville cell or the
Trenton cell (40 miles south - in 609 area code).

And just to keep it interesting, my cellular phone is assigned a
Newark exchange in 201, while I live and work in 908.

The annoying thing about all of this is that it's all interesting and
fun for we enthusiasts, but it will be a nightmare for the general
public.

       Regarding Dave Levenson's comments taken
       from the Newark Star Ledger...

Dave, all of Somerset County will be in 908 (including all of Basking
Ridge [really Bernards Twp].)

I would tend to believe that 11 digit dialing will eventually be
needed throughout the state. The 908 section is all of Somerset,
Middlesex, Monmouth, Hunterdon and Warren, and the southermost section
of Morris County, and the little slice of Ocean now in 201 (Lakewood
Area).

Lou Judice
Digital Equipment Corporation
Piscataway, NJ
201-562-4103 (but not for long!)

dave@uunet.uu.net (Dave Levenson) (12/01/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0534m06@chinacat.lonestar.org>, judice@sulaco.enet.
dec.com (Louis J. Judice  27-Nov-1989 0951) writes:

> Of course the fun thing about the impending A/C split here is how it
> will confuse cellular users...

> It will be almost mandatory to use at least 10-digit dialing on most
> calls.  Along the 201/908 border it's fairly hilly, and the location
> of most of the cell sites.

It shouldn't be all that confusing...  I routinely travel from my
place of business, in what is currently 201 but will soon be 908,
across 212 and 718 and into 516 land (I have a customer in Islip, NY).
It doesn't matter what area code I'm driving in or where the cell site
is (or whether it's MetroOne or CellularOne) the originating area code
is stored in eprom in my mobile set, not in the cell site transmitter
station.  The dialing procedure, for subscribers of MetroOne, is
uniform throughout 203, 914, 212, 718, 516, 201, 609, 215, and is
determined by the home areacode assigned to the individual subscriber.

I, too, have a 201 mobile number (in Hackensack) and I'm planning to
ask for a number-change to a Somerset County exchange -- both to save
on toll charges when the office is calling the car, and to make the
home area code for the cellular set match the home area code for the
wired sets.

Dave Levenson                Voice: (201) 647 0900
Westmark, Inc.               Internet: dave@westmark.uu.net
Warren, NJ, USA              UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
[The Man in the Mooney]      AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave