[comp.dcom.telecom] More On Calls With Nobody There

sharon@asylum.sf.ca.us (Sharon Fisher) (11/30/89)

A couple of months back, I posted a message explaining that, in my new
apartment, I'd had a number of calls with nobody there.  These calls
came early in the morning, one after another, etc.  The consensus I
received here was that the callers thought I was a modem or a fax
machine.

I called up the phone company's harrassment number and they suggested
that perhaps I had too much equipment on the line and that when they
tested it, that made the phone ring.  I was dubious but tried
unplugging things.  True, I didn't get the calls.  But I hadn't been
getting them anyway; this was the third week in October and San
Francisco had had an 'event' the week before.

I continued to not get the calls for a couple of weeks, but as of a
couple of weeks ago, they've started again.  But a very interesting
thing happened.  Yesterday morning I got called at 6:30 am.  Instead
of hanging up once I'd said 'Hello' a couple of times with no
response, I kept on, yelling 'Hello?' for a while.

Then someone came on the line!  (I've sometimes heard background
voices on the calls before.)  He asked me who I was.  I said, "I don't
know, you called me!"  [Yes, I know who I am.  I was sleepy, okay?)
But instead of waiting so I could explain that they'd called me a lot,
and maybe fix the problem, he hung up.  When the phone rang a couple
of minutes later, I tried hanging on again, but the phone got hung up.

So, with this new information, anybody got any ideas about what's
happening and how I can stop it?  Thanks.

gopstein@rutgers.edu (Rich Gopstein) (12/01/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0541m07@chinacat.lonestar.org>, sharon@asylum.sf.
ca.us (Sharon Fisher) writes:

> Yesterday morning I got called at 6:30 am.  Instead
> of hanging up once I'd said 'Hello' a couple of times with no
> response, I kept on, yelling 'Hello?' for a while.

In my last NJ Bell phone bill there was a new "call tracing" feature
described.  After an offending phone call, you can dial some sequence
of digits, and NJ Bell will note the origination of the last incoming
phone call you got.  They mention that they won't give you the info --
the police must ask for it.

You might check with your local phone company.  They might have a
similar service.

Rich Gopstein

 ..!rutgers!soleil!gopstein