[comp.dcom.telecom] Why Aren't College Telcos Regulated?

eravin@dasys1.UUCP (Ed Ravin) (11/27/89)

 From recent postings in comp.dcom.telecom, it appears that many
colleges and universities have become the telephone company for their
students living in on-campus housing.  The recent nasty example was
Columbia, who charges $5 for each collect call to a student, turns off
an account if the long distance bill exceeds $100, provides service to
the students via a Rolm switch that forces them to pay extra for data
connections (sorry, no modems), charging for incomplete calls, and
more.  Similiar insensitive behavior has been reported at the
University of Stony Brook, including insufficient trunk allocation
(the cheapskates don't buy enough incoming trunks so every phone on
campus appears busy during peak periods).

Why aren't these local telephone service providers (for, in essence,
that's what they are) regulated by their respective state public
service commissions?  If Columbia is adding $5 to the cost of a
collect call, they should have to file a tariff with the state first.
I strongly urge students at any school with an attitude like
Columbia's to write to their state's public utilities commission
documenting abuses that no ordinary telephone company could get away
with and asking for relief.  The address to complain to should be near
the front of your local telephone directory (the real one, not the one
provided by your school).

Send copies of your letters and responses to comp.dcom.telecom.
Colleges and universities can only get away with this crap if their
students and staff let them!

Ed Ravin                  | hombre!dasys1!eravin | "A mind is a terrible thing
(BigElectricCatPublicUNIX)| eravin@dasys1.UUCP   | to waste-- boycott TV!"
Reader bears responsibility for all opinions expressed in this article.

74066.2004@compuserve.com (Larry Rachman) (11/29/89)

   In a recent article, Ed Ravin laments about the abuses College
Telcos perpetrate upon students, and calls for more PSC involvement.

I'm not sure what its like today, but in 1976, in New York, there was
a section of the Public Service Commission Tarrifs dealing specificly
with so-called "Centrex Dormitory Service". Among the features of this
"service" were:

   If you wanted a phone, it was your only option.

   You took the number they gave you, even if it was subject to crank and
       abusive calls.

   They wouldn't sell you Touchtone, even though (at Stony Brook - #5
   XBAR) it worked by default on about half the lines.

   Intercept messages for disconnected lines would not be provided.

   Your had no choice of equipment (this was back when TELCO provided it).

 ...and so forth. On the up side, there was a clause about how the
University Centrex attendants would provide. "...all Centrex services"
for dormitory customers. This raised quite a few eyebrows when I read
it to the Telecom manager, and did result in an end to the policy of
refusing to transfer student calls.

The problem is that a student body is by nature a transient
population, and really can't make much of an impact on a regulatory
body that takes years to make a change. The only solution that comes
to mind is the possibility of bypassing the whole mess, via an
infra-red (or microwave) link to a private house down the block.

                                       Larry Rachman

edg@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Edward Greenberg) (11/30/89)

In the State of New York, Dormitory Service was a tarriffed item, back
when it was provided by the Telco.  I'm reminded of a student (I think
this was Larry Rachman, another reader of the digest who may post in
response, if he has anything to add) who successfully challenged a
campus policy disallowing call transfer from dorm phones.

The problem may be that the law (or the PSC/PUC) doesn't consider a
residence provider to be a telecom provider as well, treating it like
hotel service instead.

						-edg

Ed Greenberg			+1 415-694-2952 (day)
uunet!apple!netcom!edg		edg@cso.3mail.3com.com
76703,1070 on CompuServe

john@zygot.ati.com (John Higdon) (11/30/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0534m01@chinacat.lonestar.org>, eravin@dasys1.UUCP
(Ed Ravin) writes:

> Why aren't these local telephone service providers (for, in essence,
> that's what they are) regulated by their respective state public
> service commissions?

Simply put, they are not a common carrier or a utility. It is a
private phone system in which they happen to have a means of billing
associated users for their calls. This is not unlike a business
keeping SMDR records and then billing its employees for suspected
personal calls. If the university owns the system, it has the right to
do with it what it pleases. As a student, you are not "the public".
You are a "client" of the organization. Even if the school hires an
outside firm to administer the operation, it is still considered a
"closed system".

> I strongly urge students at any school with an attitude like
> Columbia's to write to their state's public utilities commission
> documenting abuses that no ordinary telephone company could get away
> with and asking for relief.

Sorry, but I really don't think they will be interested.

    john@zygot.ati.com      | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

goldstein@delni.enet.dec.com (12/01/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0534m01@chinacat.lonestar.org>, eravin@dasys1.UUCP
(Ed Ravin) writes...

>From recent postings in comp.dcom.telecom, it appears that many
>colleges and universities have become the telephone company for their
>students living in on-campus housing....
>Why aren't these local telephone service providers (for, in essence,
>that's what they are) regulated by their respective state public
>service commissions?  If Columbia is adding $5 to the cost of a
>collect call, they should have to file a tariff with the state first.

Because they aren't telcos.

A telco, in the legal sense, is "certificated" by the state to provide
exchange service on a monopoly basis to a defined area.  In Columbia's
case, f'rinstance, New York Telephone is certificated.  A student
wanting direct outside telephones would call NYT, not, say, ConTel
(who is certificated for different parts of NY State).

Columbia is a reseller.  That's a separate legal class.  Under FCC
regs, resellers may exist without regulation (technically, I think,
the FCC regulates them in forebearance).  They can resell INTERSTATE
calls with impunity.  That's what makes the AOS sleazebuckets
possible.  In theory, they don't have a monopoly like telcos.  (You
can drive down the road to the next pay phone.  In some cases, you can
legally demand access to the LD carrier of your choice and pay that
carrier's rates.)  Now if your landlord tries to impose a monopoly by
limiting the telco's right to serve you directly, that would be a
local contract/housing matter, not within their bailiwick.  (Reality
and law diverge a bit here.)

States have the right to regulate INTRASTATE calls, including resale.
So if NY State chose to, they could regulate Columbia's in-state
rates.  But if the call came from New Jersey or Fiji or anyplace
outside NY State, the NY PUC would have no jurisdiction.  This has
worked with some AOSs, btw; if you get zinged on an in-state call, the
state PUC or Attorney General can scare them off.

   fred

selig@udcps3.cps.udayton.edu (Paul D. Selig) (12/03/89)

I just wanted to comment from a different viewpoint on the points that
Ed Ravin made about the outrageous charges that universities charge
their students for calls.  Here at the University of Dayton, we
currently have what I consider to be a great system, which is a
Meridian SL-1 switch.

The university here also charges $5.00 for a collect call to a
student, but with a good reason: Let's say that there are four
students living in a campus apartment, and each apartment has two
phones.  Each student in the apartment has their own private "access
code" for long distance use, and each receives their own statement of
charges.  If you were to make a collect call to a number in that
apartment, the university has no idea who accepted the call, therefore
they have no idea who to bill for the cost of the call.

The $5 is used for the administrative costs and time to track down the
acceptor of the call, and to have the billed call connected with the
actual person.  I really don't think that this is _too_ far out of
line, as I would imagine that the actual costs are much higher.

And, in regard to the $100 credit limit, after being a student at the
University of Dayton for many years, I am still amazed at how many
students will not pay their bill until their service is shut off.  It
happens a lot more than you might think, and the limit is imposed just
to protect the university so that they may eventually get their money.

Also here at the University of Dayton, students are clearly notified
many times that if you let the phone ring more than 7 times, you will
be billed for that call.  Though I do agree that the University
_should_ install call supervision equipment, they are fair in removing
a charge for a call that is claimed to never have been completed.

This is just a former students view on the university phone system,
and my opinions do not constitute those of my employer!

|    |		Paul Selig, Jr.		Systems Administrator
|  --|-		Computer Science Department, Anderson Center 133
|  | | |	The University of Dayton, Dayton, Ohio 45469
 --|-  |	BITNET: selig@dayton.bitnet
   ----         UUCP:   selig@cps.udayton.edu or ...!uunet!ncrlnk!udcps3!selig

paul@uunet.uu.net (Paul S. Sawyer) (12/06/89)

[Please note that any comments following are my personal opinions.  I
make no policy for, nor do I speak for UNH.  I run the UNIX System,
not the switch.  We are familiar with ACUS only as users of software
which they own.]

Many persons, apparently students, have written lately to complain
about various campus phone services.  Recently Paul Selig brought up a
few points to which I would like to add, to help show the position
that we are in as service providers....

Since Divestiture, the local telco may not want to bother with serving
your dorm room, unless it is already wired.  Sometimes the telco does
not even have wires to the building.  It is the property owner's
responsibility to provide the means (space in existing conduits or on
poles, or easements and in some cases costs to install conduits or
poles) to serve those buildings.  Some colleges/universities do not
wish to do this.  Some opt to let an outside agent handle this.

UNH is wiring buildings as possible, trying to eventually provide
service for all campus residents.  If we had to act as a public
utility, we would have to do this all at once and so might not do it
at all, since our main job is to provide business telecommunications
for staff users.  In most cases, we are making use of existing
equipment and capacities which are not otherwise fully used after
business hours.

Keeping track of even a small number of students as customers is quite
different from keeping track of departmental customers, especially
with no additional staff.  Outside agencies such as ACUS can seem
attractive when they can act as turnkey service providers.

Although some larger or more fortunate institutions have central
office type switches and answer supervision, we and many others do
not, and it would not be cost effective to implement soon (so they
tell me).  TSPS or similar service which someone mentioned as
available to hotels, etc., was refused to us because we ARE NOT A
HOTEL under the tariff, said the telco....

We already process outside toll tapes which include collect calls,
etc., so we do not charge extra for such calls, but if you attempt a
fraudulent call or make an operator assisted call which gets billed to
other than your own number, we have to research it, and "Bill'em,
Danno" an extra $2.00.  We do this whether you are student or staff,
since it is preventable.

We do not knowingly block access to any long distance company that is
normally accessable, although our direct dial prices should be lower
than those with credit card or operator surcharges.  We do not charge
for 1-800- 950- or local calls.

Our business office treats our fees as normal student expenses, so we
do not need to charge a deposit or cut you off at a line of credit.
Some institutions do not want to collect telephone bills.

I agree that "Colleges and universities can only get away with this
crap if their students and staff let them!" [eravin@dasys1.UUCP], as
ACUS and other third parties all make some arrangement with some agent
of any institution they serve, one or more of President, VP, Dean of
Students, Telecom Office, Buildings and Grounds, Housing Office,
probably Trustees and/or State Board of Regents, etc, ad infinitum, ad
nauseum.  Each institution has different people making different
arrangements for different services, and differs in responsiveness to
student needs.

As telephone service providers at UNH, we try to be responsive, we
welcome complaints, and we even give credits!  (sometimes...  B-) But
you don't call the public utilities commission because the lights in
your dorm flicker every time you make popcorn...  so work with whoever
runs these things on YOUR campus and maybe you can get somewhere!

		Best of luck, Paul
Paul S. Sawyer              uunet!unh!unhtel!paul     paul@unhtel.UUCP
UNH Telecommunications        attmail!psawyer       p_sawyer@UNHH.BITNET
Durham, NH  03824-3523      VOX: 603-862-3262         FAX: 603-862-2030