[comp.dcom.telecom] More Internet -> AT&T Mail access

psrc@pegasus.att.com (Paul S. R. Chisholm) (12/06/89)

In article <1809@accuvax.nwu.edu>, FLINTON@eagle.wesleyan.edu (Fred E.J.
Linton) writes:

> Gentle pressure on the AT&T Mail Customer Assistance Center reps at +1
> 800 624 5672 may, in time, cause AT&T Mail management to realize that
> permitting inbound mail at no charge to the site last handling it
> before it arrives in attmail can only be _good_ for business -- a fact
> MCI Mail and C'Serve have already realized (and _that_ fact may help
> convince AT&T Mail!).

Fred, I realize your intentions are good; but my efforts to pass this
message along to AT&T Mail management have been much more sucessful
than the Customer Assistance Center's.  I have a large (well, virtual)
sign over my telephone that says "CTFC" (call the CAC), and I'm one of
their biggest fans; but, *please*, if you want to apply pressure on
AT&T on this topic, contact *me* (e-mail, please), not the AT&T Mail
Customer Assistance Center.  (If you need help with AT&T Mail
products, please call the CAC instead of me.)

>         As to how the Moderator finds his way into AT&T Mail accounts,
> I'd be curious to know -- perhaps the attmail recipients have an
> agreement with the gatewaying machine to reimburse expenses, or the
> gatewaying machines haven't yet realized they're being taken advantage
> of, or...

> > [Moderator's Note: Sorry, but I have to differ with you
> > on the 'no gateway to attmail' statement. TELECOM Digest is sent to
> > a few people who recieve it in their attmail boxes at their request.
> > I send control copies of the Digest to my own attmail box from time
> > to time to test the link.

>  ... or maybe they'll just up and plug the leak, with no warning, and no
> bounce report... (-: ?

I suspect most of the people at AT&T who want the Digest are also
reachable via the .att.com domain.  I have no idea whether non-AT&T
employees on the service have other paths.  (As far as I'm concerned,
and speaking as the person who plugged at least one Internet to AT&T
Mail leak, I'd rather help you find a better link.  *Please*, oh kind
Moderator, don't publish this path to the hole (:-) world, lest it
become a problem.)

Paul S. R. Chisholm, AT&T Bell Laboratories
att!pegasus!psrc, psrc@pegasus.att.com, AT&T Mail !psrchisholm
I'm not speaking for the company, I'm just speaking my mind.