[comp.dcom.telecom] Wrong Numbers From Directory Assistance

henry@garp.mit.edu (Henry Mensch) (11/29/89)

If you get a wrong number from Directory Assistance, is there any
point in calling them and letting them know, or do they just bitbucket
this information and keep giving out the wrong number?

# Henry Mensch    /   <henry@garp.mit.edu>   /   E40-379 MIT,  Cambridge, MA
# <hmensch@uk.ac.nsfnet-relay> / <henry@tts.lth.se> / <mensch@munnari.oz.au>

[Moderator's Note: They will start giving out a different number when
the data-base lists a different number, and not before. That's because
computers don't make mistakes and customers never know anything. I
suppose you could call the business office to report your finding,
some day when you have ten minutes to kill listening to muzak-on-hold. PT]

jay@banzai.pcc.com (Jay Schuster) (12/06/89)

henry@garp.mit.edu (Henry Mensch) writes:
>If you get a wrong number from Directory Assistance, is there any
>point in calling them and letting them know, or do they just bitbucket
>this information and keep giving out the wrong number?

My company's name is The People's Computer Company.  For a while
after we got an office, DA was giving out our number as the
PeopleExpress Airlines reservation number.  Someone would ask for
Peoples Express, the DA would type in Peoples... and come up with
our number and give it out.

We kept track of the number of times we had to give out the correct
PeopleExpress phone number, and eventually billed New England
Telephone for using us to give out the PeopleExpress phone number.

After a fair amount of wrangling, we actually *got* a check from
them, which we photocopied, framed, and hung in our office.

Even after we had solved the problem with NETel, we continued to
get calls from Quebec.

Jay Schuster <jay@pcc.COM>	uunet!uvm-gen!banzai!jay, attmail!banzai!jay
The People's Computer Company	`Revolutionary Programming'