[comp.dcom.telecom] "Intercom Plus" by Pacific Bell

edg@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Edward Greenberg) (11/30/89)

Last month, my phone bill advertised a little service called Intercom
Plus.  Being the phone junkie I am, I called up the business office
and ordered it right up.

I'll spare you the details of how the business office didn't understand
this, or what I went through to get it, and tell about the service.

I'll describe the service in technical terms rather than marketing
fluff.

1.  You pick up the phone and dial one of three codes, and hang up.
The phone rings back, and when you pick up you get talking battery.

2.  You're talking to somebody and want to signal somebody else in the
house to pick up.  You flash, dial one of the three codes, and hang
up.  The phone rings back and you wait until the other party picks up.
(Then you optionally pick up too, depending on whether you wanted to
continue to participate.)

For the above two services, the codes are:

	*51 short-short
	*52 short-short-long
	*53 short-long-short

3.  Extension hold.  You want to put a call on hold.  You flash, hit
*54 and hang up.  Your call sits until picked up or the other party
hangs up.

4.  Three way calling.  Since the service requires the ability to
flash, it requires Three Way calling.  They bundle three-way in, so if you
had it before, you stop paying for it separately.

Pacific Bell sells this for $4 per month.
						-edg

Ed Greenberg			+1 415-694-2952 (day)
uunet!apple!netcom!edg		edg@cso.3mail.3com.com
76703,1070 on CompuServe

john@zygot.ati.com (John Higdon) (12/03/89)

In article <telecom-v09i0542m01@chinacat.lonestar.org>, apple!netcom!edg@
ames.arc.nasa.gov (Edward Greenberg) writes:

> Last month, my phone bill advertised a little service called Intercom
> Plus.  Being the phone junkie I am, I called up the business office
> and ordered it right up.

Leave it to Pac*Bell to sell its ringback codes to the public and then
have to gall to refer to it as "advanced" service.

How long is Pac*Bell going to sell bits and pieces of Centrex service
to the residential and small business public while avoiding the
necessary upgrades to offer really state-of-the-art telephone service?
They could have offered "Intercom Plus" over twenty years ago when
they installed my CO switch. It took them this long to come up with
this marketing ploy?

I had better shut up before the Phone Police discover that I have more
than a black rotary dial phone in my house. The CPUC has made it quite
clear that this as much as anyone really needs.

    john@zygot.ati.com      | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

deej@bellcore.bellcore.com> (12/05/89)

In article <1755@accuvax.nwu.edu>, john@zygot.ati.com (John Higdon) writes:

> In article <telecom-v09i0542m01@chinacat.lonestar.org>, apple!netcom!edg@
> ames.arc.nasa.gov (Edward Greenberg) writes:

> > Last month, my phone bill advertised a little service called Intercom
> > Plus.  Being the phone junkie I am, I called up the business office
> > and ordered it right up.

> Leave it to Pac*Bell to sell its ringback codes to the public and then
> have to gall to refer to it as "advanced" service.

> How long is Pac*Bell going to sell bits and pieces of Centrex service
> to the residential and small business public while avoiding the
> necessary upgrades to offer really state-of-the-art telephone service?

As long as necessary to fully depreciate their 1AESSs.  Pac*Bell has a
whole pile of 1As; the 1A feature book is about 4 pages thick;
Pac*Bell is not allowed by the CPUC to writedown their 1As for several
years yet; it doesn't take a genius to figure out their best move...

Seriously, have you seen a thing called the "Intelligent Network Task
Force Report"?  Their definition of "Intelligent Network" is about 10
times the size of my definition, but it's interesting -- the
definition of what's needed for "really state-of-the-art telephone
service."

I won't go into it (it's a fairly long piece of work), but copies
should be available -- it's a public document.  However, the only
address I have for Pac*Bell documentation is:

	Pacific Bell
	Information Exchange
	2600 Camino Ramon, Room 1S450
	San Ramon, CA 94583
	(415) 823-0222

(I got my copy at the 1989 IN ComForum in Chicago.)

David G Lewis					...!bellcore!nvuxr!deej
	(@ Bellcore Navesink Research & Engineering Center)
			"If this is paradise, I wish I had a lawnmower."

John Higdon <john@zygot.ati.com> (12/07/89)

In article <1803@accuvax.nwu.edu>, nvuxr!deej@bellcore.bellcore.com
(David Lewis) writes:

> > How long is Pac*Bell going to sell bits and pieces of Centrex service
> > to the residential and small business public while avoiding the
> > necessary upgrades to offer really state-of-the-art telephone service?

> As long as necessary to fully depreciate their 1AESSs.

I have no problem with Pac*Bell keeping their 1As around for awhile.
They can provide almost any service currently available (with help
from an adjunct, they can provide *any* service) and they do it in a
grand style when compared to DMS or 5ESS. 1AESS has always had
superior feature implementation, IMHO.

My major gripe involves the way Pac*Bell can't get off their can and
replace their rickety-tickety crossbar. Don't tell me they can't write
those dinosaurs off yet. And in my case, I am sick of this 1ESS that
can't even do "cancel call forwarding". My CO has four prefixes of
1ESS (marginal, at best) and eight (8) prefixes of crossbar. For any
telco that pretends to be "big time", this is laughable.

But it boils down to: Yes my calls are completed somewhat reliably (if
slowly), dialtone is there most of the time (when the earth doesn't
shake), and I can hear the party to whom I am speaking. If it was GTE,
that would all be somewhat iffy. So I'm supposed to count my
blessings, and be thankful that I have Pac*Bell. Well, I guess
crossbar is better than directorized step-by-step.

    john@zygot.ati.com      | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !