[comp.dcom.telecom] How Do I Rotary?

rfarris@serene.UUCP (Rick Farris) (12/03/89)

Pac*Tel offers a "rotary ring-down" service, wherein, for incoming
calls, if one of a group of numbers is busy, the next number in
sequence will automatically be selected.

The charge for this service is a one-time fee of $40 per number
affected, and then $0.50 per month per line.

It seems to me that this service would have to be provided at the CO;
I don't see how it could be provided at the customer site.  Am I
correct in this?

At some point, of course, it seems that you could bring in a wide-band
trunk, and then do the rotarizing at your end.  At $40/line, how many
lines would you need to make this cost effective?

I realize I don't know what I'm talking about; that's why I've come
here, for info -- hopefully not flames.  :-)

Rick Farris   RF Engineering  POB M  Del Mar, CA  92014   voice (619) 259-6793
rfarris@serene.uu.net      ...!uunet!serene!rfarris       serene.UUCP 259-7757

[Moderator's Note: That seems to be an awful rip-off price to me!
Illinois Bell has always offered hunt and jump-hunt (out of sequence
but reaonably close together lines) for *free*. You could always get
it wired so your first line hunted the second, then the third.....ninth,
fifteenth, etc... Does Pac*Bell understand what you are asking for?
In some exchanges, the numbers had to be in sequence, ascending, but
in others, any reasonable ascending order was okay, but there was never
any charge for it. Circular hunt in an ESS office has a small charge.  PT]

John Higdon <john@zygot.ati.com> (12/04/89)

In article <1765@accuvax.nwu.edu>, rfarris@serene.UUCP (Rick Farris) writes:

> Pac*Tel offers a "rotary ring-down" service, wherein, for incoming
> calls, if one of a group of numbers is busy, the next number in
> sequence will automatically be selected.

> [Moderator's Note: That seems to be an awful rip-off price to me!
> Illinois Bell has always offered hunt and jump-hunt (out of sequence
> but reaonably close together lines) for *free*.

I've never heard it called "rotary ring-down", but hunting costs an
arm and a leg with Pac*Bell (like everything else). It costs $20.00
per line to make any change in hunting e.g. install, remove, number
change, etc. For instance, if I have two lines (as I do for my UUCP
modems) and I want the lead number to "hunt" to the second number,
then I pay $40.00 extra ($20.00 per line) to install over and above
any other charges and $1.00 per month ($0.50 per line). It would cost
$40.00 to have the hunting removed as well (@ $20.00 per line).

I did, however, circumvent that. With busy-forwarding, you pay $5.00
to put it in (on the first line, which when busy "forwards" to the
second) and $2.00 per month. An advantage is that the two numbers have
different prefixes and they won't install normal hunting to do that,
even if served by the same switch. It will take 35 months before the
extra dollar a month catches up with me, and there is no termination
charge if and when it is removed.

> In some exchanges, the numbers had to be in sequence, ascending, but
> in others, any reasonable ascending order was okay, but there was never
> any charge for it. Circular hunt in an ESS office has a small charge.  PT]

Since much of Pac*Bell is electromechanical, jump options are
generally not available. In crossbar, it takes an auxiliary relay
panel to allow subscriber lines to jump from one "level" to another.
These panels are generally out of stock, so the customer is generally
out of luck.

    john@zygot.ati.com      | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

Lars J Poulsen <lars@salt.acc.com> (12/05/89)

In article <1782@accuvax.nwu.edu> john@zygot.ati.com (John Higdon) writes:

>                                               ... hunting costs an
>arm and a leg with Pac*Bell (like everything else). It costs $20.00
>per line to make any change in hunting e.g. install, remove, number
>change, etc. For instance, if I have two lines (as I do for my UUCP
>modems) and I want the lead number to "hunt" to the second number,
>then I pay $40.00 extra ($20.00 per line) to install over and above
>any other charges and $1.00 per month ($0.50 per line). It would cost
>$40.00 to have the hunting removed as well (@ $20.00 per line).
>                             ... With busy-forwarding, you pay $5.00
>to put it in (on the first line, which when busy "forwards" to the
>second) and $2.00 per month.        ... and there is no termination
>charge if and when it is removed.

I am amazed that people put up with such rip-offs, and THEN talk about
how bad GTE is. In my GTE area, the technical quality has been
excellent since they ripped out the entire CO plant and replace it
with ESS about 3 years ago. Since then they have replaced the cable
plant in most of the city (they were running out of pairs). And
hunting is free. I have my two lines in a circular hunt group, though
I'll probably change that some day. (When the voice line is busy, I
don't usually want to deal with another voice call untill I get off
the first one).

Technically, what is the difference between hunting and busy-
forwarding ? Sounds to me like the same thing in an ESS environment.

/ Lars Poulsen <lars@salt.acc.com>   (800) 222-7308  or (805) 963-9431 ext 358
  ACC Customer Service              Affiliation stated for identification only
                My employer probably would not agree if he knew what I said !!

john@zygot.ati.com (John Higdon) (12/07/89)

In article <1810@accuvax.nwu.edu>, lars@salt.acc.com (Lars J Poulsen) writes:

> I am amazed that people put up with such rip-offs, and THEN talk about
> how bad GTE is.

Yes, but what do you pay monthly for a phone? I'll bet it's higher
than my rate. Of course, I probably actually pay more because I have
Commstar (home Centrex) which you can't get on unmeasured lines. Neah!

> Technically, what is the difference between hunting and busy-
> forwarding ? Sounds to me like the same thing in an ESS environment.

At first blush, it would appear that the two are simply tariff
differentiations. But busy-forwarding also allows you to cross prefix
boundaries, and will forward after a preset number of unanswered
rings.  In my case, I have that number set to something like 15 or so.

    john@zygot.ati.com      | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !