[net.news.group] New Newsgroup

essick (07/20/82)

#R:fortune:-12800:uiucdcs:11200008:000:238
uiucdcs!essick    Jul 20 13:47:00 1982

	Flamity flame flame.

	Can someone please explain to me the rationale behind creating
net.wobegon when just a month ago everyone screamed (well, enough people
anyway) about net.sctv?

	Ray Essick	University of Illinois
	uiucdcs!essick

thor (12/03/82)

Maybe this should have gone in net.jokes so sorry if I offend anyone's
sensibilties. I am proposing a new newsgroup called net.stupid
so that people who respond to the net with opinions other than your own
will have a place to put them.
				If you didn't like it
				please skip the hate mail.

ark (02/24/83)

We have net.wines and net.women, so now how about net.song?

smk@linus.UUCP (Steven M. Kramer) (08/20/83)

Due to the traffic in net.general, net.followup, and net.news,
a positive vote on net.legal, and a non-transitory type of nature
of the group, I created net.legal.  I think it's time has come.

PS -- I was suprised to not see a single article against the
formation of the group.  This was the first time for that (except for
the mysterious appearance of net.announce [not really too mysterious]).
--
	--steve kramer
	{allegra,genrad,ihnp4,utzoo,philabs,uw-beaver}!linus!smk	(UUCP)

sloane@noscvax.UUCP (03/09/84)

I am very much in favor of creating an apple mac/lisa newsgroup -
but *not* in calling it net.micro.mac. According to all of APPLE
Corps literature, the mac is a (small) part of their thrust into
32 bit micros, using "lisa technology". Therefore I propose that
the group be called net.micro.lisa after the family of computers
APPLE proposes, not merely a single member of the family. If a
precedent is set for naming newsgroups in net.micro after specific
machines (imagine net.micro.pc and net.micro.xt) instead of after
generic categories, then the groups will proliferate uncontrollably.

      Gary K. Sloane
      Naval Ocean Systems Center
      Code 9122 Building 1 Room B205
      San Diego, California 92152

      MILNET: sloane@nosc
      UUCP:   ...{sdcsvax}!noscvax!sloane

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) (12/12/85)

In article <128@mrstve.UUCP> mark@mrstve.UUCP (Mark Smith) writes:

>    Just taking a poll on how many people would be interested in a FRP news-
>group where you don't talk about FRP games, but you PLAY them.  This could
>easily be set up like the AD&D by mail seen in Dragon Magazine tm., etc, where
>you are given a verbose description of your surrounding, objects, monsters, etc,and you respond with your actions.  The number of turns would be 5 or 6 per weekand it would be a lot cheaper than playing by mail.

I vote against.

There are already several pbm games going on over  the  net  using  e-mail.
This  seems  to  me to be the appropriate way to implement such a thing.  I
see no reason to further burden the net by sending game scenarios and moves
all  over  the  world  to  sites where no one's even reading the group, let
alone playing the game.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp(+)TTI                    The more I work with C, the more I
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.             appreciate the simple elegance of
Santa Monica, CA  90405           FORTRAN.
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{philabs,randvax,trwrb,vortex}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (12/14/85)

In article <128@mrstve.UUCP> mark@mrstve.UUCP (Mark Smith) writes:
>    Just taking a poll on how many people would be interested in a FRP news-
>group where you don't talk about FRP games, but you PLAY them.

    As I pointed out a while ago on net.games.pbm, it is absurd to use a
newsgroup to communicate with the small number of people in a particular
game.  Not only is it far more expensive than email, it's slower and less
reliable.  Use the newsgroup to look for players, but once you have the
game organized, use email to distribute each turn's results.  No reason why
this has to shut out kibbitzers and onlookers; they can be on the game's
mailing list as well.

	BTW, I've added a "Followup-to: net.news.group", where this type of
discussion belongs.  If you care about this and don't already subscribe to
net.news.group, do so now so you don't miss out.

--
Roy Smith <allegra!phri!roy>
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016