[comp.dcom.telecom] Dynamic Bandwidth Allocation

deej@bellcore.bellcore.com (David Lewis) (12/05/89)

In article <1759@accuvax.nwu.edu>, john@zygot.ati.com (John Higdon) writes:

> Bandwidth is not dynamically allowcated by
> some analysis of the sonic material on the line, but is fixed by the
> telco in the transmission system involved.
> It would be a neat trick indeed if you could automatically get extra
> bandwidth out of a telephone connection on demand. The audio leased
> line department would go out of business in a hurry!

Wait for Broadband ISDN.  SONET (Synchronous Optical NETwork) layer 1,
plus ATM (Asynchronous Transfer Mode) layer 2, plus the appropriate
definition of bearer capabilities, signaling, user-network interfaces,
and all that stuff (yet to be done...), gives you dynamic baodwidth
allocation.

Not until at least 1994, tho.  And even then only in very limited
deployment.  Not the kind of thing you'll order when you move into
that new apartment.

David G Lewis					...!bellcore!nvuxr!deej
	(@ Bellcore Navesink Research & Engineering Center)
			"If this is paradise, I wish I had a lawnmower."

fleming@cup.portal.com (12/07/89)

In article <1759@accuvax.nwu.edu>, john@zygot.ati.com (John Higdon) writes:

> It would be a neat trick indeed if you could automatically get extra
> bandwidth out of a telephone connection on demand. The audio leased
> line department would go out of business in a hurry!

David G Lewis (...!bellcore!nvuxr!deej) responds:

>Wait for Broadband ISDN.  SONET (Synchronous Optical NETwork) layer 1,
>plus ATM (Asynchronous Transfer Mode) layer 2, plus the appropriate
>definition of bearer capabilities, signaling, user-network interfaces,
>and all that stuff (yet to be done...), gives you dynamic bandwidth
>allocation.

>Not until at least 1994, tho.  And even then only in very limited
>deployment.  Not the kind of thing you'll order when you move into
>that new apartment.

Even though I think it will happen earlier than 1994, I agree with Mr.
Lewis.  And, yes indeed, "the audio leased line department will go out
of business in a hurry!"  When a user can dial up a full T1 circuit
for 10 minutes *and be billed for only 10 minutes use*, it's going to
be hard to justify leasing a 19.2 kb/s connection 24 hours a day, 7
days a week.

ISDN was a warm-up.  *Broadband* ISDN is really going to change the world.

| Stephen Fleming                 |  Internet: fleming@cup.portal.com   |
| Director, Technology Marketing  |  Voice:    (703) 847-7058           |
| Northern Telecom                +-------------------------------------|
| Federal Networks Division       |    Opinions expressed do not        |
| Vienna, Virginia  22182         |    represent Northern Telecom.      |

pozar@toad.com (Tim Pozar) (12/11/89)

In article <1841@accuvax.nwu.edu> nvuxr!deej@bellcore.bellcore.com
(David Lewis) writes:

>In article <1759@accuvax.nwu.edu>, john@zygot.ati.com (John Higdon) writes:

>> Bandwidth is not dynamically allowcated by some analysis of the
>> sonic material on the line, but is fixed by the telco in the
>> transmission system involved.

>> It would be a neat trick indeed if you could automatically get extra
>> bandwidth out of a telephone connection on demand. The audio leased
>> line department would go out of business in a hurry!

>Wait for Broadband ISDN.  SONET (Synchronous Optical NETwork) layer 1,
>plus ATM (Asynchronous Transfer Mode) layer 2, plus the appropriate
>definition of bearer capabilities, signaling, user-network interfaces,

    I hope it's better than the noisy and distortion prone 8-bit junk
than the stuff most phone equipment providers have been pushing.  We
(Broadcasters) need something at least 14 or 16 bits.

Tim Pozar    Try also...
Internet: pozar@toad.com
    Fido:  1:125/555
  PaBell:  (415) 788-3904
  USNail:  KKSF / 77 Maiden Lane /  San Francisco CA 94108