[comp.dcom.telecom] FCC Doing It Again

adk@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Andrew D Kailhofer) (12/11/89)

In article <253@zircon.UUCP> davidb@Pacer.UUCP (David Barts) writes:

[ stuff about the phone company rate-negotiators being evil and larcenous ]

>Fortunately, you can fight back.  If you are being charged more for a
>tone line, ask for a pulse line.  SURPRISE!  Unless you have an old
>pulse phone exchange, you still can use tone on the `pulse' line - the
>pulse-to-tone converter lets the DTMF tones through to the exchange.
>If the phone co. sends you an "Aha!  You're using tone on a pulse line
>so we'll charge you more!"  letter they can be taken to court.  The Federal
>Trade Commission has ruled that if anyone gives you a service that you
>haven't asked for, it's a FREE GIFT and you don't owe them a cent.

This is true and not true.  Let me first disclaim...  While I am an
Honest-To-Goodness employee of Ameritech Applied Technologies, I have
never been a Telephone-Company-Person.  I was hired for my UNIX skills
and that's what I do, *but* you can't work around here w/o soaking up
knowledge about the network.  That said, the facts as I know them...

Once upon a time, everything was pulse.  The step-by-step switches
whirred along nicely.  Then they started selling DTMF service to the
subscriber, requiring pulse-to-tone converters.  It was generally more
cost effective (at least here in Wisconsin) to wire an entire office
with this equipment than the individual subscriber, so this was what
was done.  This stuff persisted through the SXS, the Crossbar, and
most of the #1 and #1A ESSs.

The end result of all of this is that if you did not feel any twinge
of guilt at committing petty larceny against (what was at that time)
AT&T, you could pilfer DTMF service at no cost except (potential)
guilt.

Once digital switching started to get more and more widely propagated,
however, things changed.  With the advent of the AT&T #5ESS (and
presumbaly the DMS 10 & 100), the switch was able to recognize Pulse
or DTMF on its own instead of relying on some piece of hardware in the
network to perform conversion.  The end result--if you don't pay for
the service, you can't use it.

I cannot comment on whether or not I think that DTMF should cost less
than pulse, but consider the people still served by older switches who
should pay more for something that extra equipment is required to
provide...  Can a PSC (or would a BOC want their PSC) to require a
different billing reate for (potentially) each CO?  Yikes.

Andrew D. Kailhofer
MS-CS candidate/UW-Milwaukee (kailhofr@cvax.cs.uwm.edu)
Analyst--Network Systems/Ameritech Applied Technologies--WI
	(a07932@gus.ameritech.com) 414/678-7793

john@zygot.ati.com (John Higdon) (12/12/89)

In article <2009@accuvax.nwu.edu> Andrew D Kailhofer <adk@csd4.csd.uwm.edu>
writes:

>Then they started selling DTMF service to the
>subscriber, requiring pulse-to-tone converters.
>[...]
>This stuff persisted through the SXS, the Crossbar, and
>most of the #1 and #1A ESSs.

Well, in your words, yes and no. In the case of SXS, they had to add
converters, UNLESS they (notably GTE) used directorization. Then the
tone receivers were imbedded in the equipment used on everyone's line.
And it was impossible to turn off the tone capability.

In the case of crossbar, they had to use the Teltone or Mitel
converters (the Mitels were much better; they weren't tone to pulse,
but rather tone to 'OR lanquage--2 of 7' and worked instantaneously).
As you said, it was usually more cost effective to equip all ORs with
converters, even though in the early days they did try to shuttle all
non-TT-paying customers to non-equipped registers.

But even that is no longer the case. Now they use CONTAC, an adjunct
to provide equal access. Since the customer dials into the CONTAC,
which is inherently TT-capable, you have to consider that TT is now
imbedded in crossbar. In fact, CONTAC has a difficult time dealing
with rotary and must receive pulses within the range of 9 to 12 PPS,
or it will bomb. No 20 PPS for all those speed freaks that wanted to
avoid TT.

ALL electronic switches (including all permutations of ESS) have
embedded tone receivers.

>Can a PSC (or would a BOC want their PSC) to require a
>different billing reate for (potentially) each CO?  Yikes.

Wouldn't that be a hoot? If the cost of your phone was linked to the
actual cost of maintaining your CO switch, you would pay more for more
antiquated service. The more modern your service, the less you would
pay.

    john@zygot.ati.com      | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !