[comp.dcom.telecom] User Control of Feature

Will Martin <wmartin@stl-06sima.army.mil> (12/08/89)

Another nice-to-have telecom capability, which can be added to the
"wishlist" of features the telcos should offer, is dynamic user
control of hunting and rotaries. When I am in the office alone, I
should be able to turn off the rotary so that only one incoming call
can hit at one time. Any others should get a busy signal. That is
preferable to them getting a ring that isn't answered, if I am tied up
on the preceeding call. You will note that this is just the opposite
philosophy from "call-waiting", which assumes that later callers have
the right to interrupt earlier ones. My opinion is just the reverse --
the first caller has priority and later callers should wait their
turn.

It might be that some local PBX or in-house telecom system does offer
this sort of user control.  Right now, we are on Centrex and do not
have that capablity, as far as I can determine.  You can get something
almost like what I am thinking of with call-forwarding by forwarding
(to a perpetual busy) any of the calls that arrive at the second
number in the rotary.  I would prefer a simple user-available command
which, when entered from the first number in the group, would shut
down the rotary to the next one.  Another simple command would enable
it again.  You wouldn't have to enter the number (the next one in the
rotary) in any case.  [Are "hunt group" and "rotary" two terms for the
same thing, or are they different?  The recently-distributed
"glossary" implies they are the same by defining only "rotary hunt".
I'm using them as synonyms here.]

I get the impression that this and a host of other improvements to the
telecom system are not available due to a basic difference in design
philosophy between me (and other reasonable sane people) and the
telcos.  :-) This might be something like the difference between
computer systems like UNIX (which ironically was engendered in Bell
Labs originally) and systems like IBM OS's. One puts maximum control
in the user's hands, while the other limits the user capability much
more and vests control in a separate administrator. Since the telcos
want to charge you for eveyrhing possible, they tend to the latter
approach, making sure you have to go through them for all sorts of
minor changes, which they can then bill for.

Obviously, this approach is why the aftermarket in-house telecom
system is such a popular item now that deregulation has made it
possible.  However, I get the impression (not being terribly familiar
with such products) that most of these systems merely move the
administration functions down from the telco's offices to a little tin
god within the business itself, as opposed to moving all possible
control (while still keeping security and accountability in mind) down
to the user him/herself.

In my mind, the ideal system would let an administrator set things up
and make changes, etc., for those customers who don't want to do it
themselves, but the system would also let the user do things on their
own that are now restricted to "superuser" types. For example, an
office would have a specified group of telephone numbers and the users
within that office, when entering system commands from an instrument
with one of those numbers, could do things like set up their own
preference for rotary hunting, enable/disable functions like
call-forwarding or call-waiting, shift the intercom functions and
reassign numbers to other instruments, etc. They couldn't affect other
offices' numbers or instruments, except for such limited things as
making one the destination for call-forwarding. To shift things
between offices would require a "superuser" type to be involved, but
intraoffice changes wouldn't require the administrator. Doing things
like establishing a hunt sequence would require more effort by the
user initially, but the system should remember such things and let
them then be switched on and off by minimal-length commands entered
directly from an affected instrument by anyone inside that office.

Are there any systems on the market that incorporate this sort of
design philosophy? I'd be interested in reading about any that do so,
or even approach this attitude.

We are going to be moving to a new office building in the near future,
and part of that transition is a leap to a new, non-telco in-house
telecom system. Unfortunately, I am sure it will not provide anywhere
near the level of user-friendliness that I described above. (Being a
GSA low-bidder system, I will be amazed if it works at all... :-)

Regards, Will

[Moderator's Note: Actually, part of the 'wishlist' was resolved some
time back here in Chicago. Illinois Bell offers 'Centrex Mate' (?)
which is a sort of do-it-yourself service representative thing. From a
terminal, you connect with the IBT computer and make service changes
yourself. This option is only available to centrex customers.  PT]

dave@uunet.uu.net (Dave Levenson) (12/10/89)

In article <1974@accuvax.nwu.edu>, wmartin@stl-06sima.army.mil
(Will Martin) writes:

> Another nice-to-have telecom capability, which can be added to the
> "wishlist" of features the telcos should offer, is dynamic user
> control of hunting and rotaries. When I am in the office alone, I
> should be able to turn off the rotary so that only one incoming call
> can hit at one time. Any others should get a busy signal.

This service IS available, today, from 1ESS and 1AESS central offices
in New Jersey.  It may be available elsewhere.  I don't know the USOC
for it, but it is a tarrifed service.  It is implemented as a separate
pair from the CO to the customer premises.  At the customer end, they
install a simple keyswitch that either opens or closes the pair.  If
this switch is open, hunting works normally.  If this switch is
closed, calls dialed to any number in the hunt group ring only that
number - or reach a busy signal.  It is used by customers who
subscribe to answering services, who want calls dialed to their main
number to reach the service after hours, or a busy if the service
(presumably only connected to the first line) is already talking to
another caller.  It enables late-workers to receive calls on numbers
other than the main LDN.

Dave Levenson                Voice: (201) 647 0900
Westmark, Inc.               Internet: dave@westmark.uu.net
Warren, NJ, USA              UUCP: {uunet | rutgers | att}!westmark!dave
[The Man in the Mooney]      AT&T Mail: !westmark!dave

stanley@uunet.uu.net> (12/10/89)

wmartin@stl-06sima.army.mil (Will Martin) writes:

>Another nice-to-have telecom capability, which can be added to the
>"wishlist" of features the telcos should offer, is dynamic user
>control of hunting and rotaries. When I am in the office alone, I
>should be able to turn off the rotary so that only one incoming call
>can hit at one time. Any others should get a busy signal. That is

Should be do-able. We are moving soon, and want our main number to
follow us for a while. Answer: call forward. Problem: if our main
number gets forwarded, that over-rides the hunt we have. So, if anyone
calls any of the other lines in the hunt, which will all be
disconnected, they get disconnect notice. If anyone calls the old main
number while someone is still being forwarded, they don't hunt, they
get busy.

So, forward overrides hunt. Forward your first line to the second.
This will make all calls come in on second line, but the forward gets
handled first, so subsequent calls get busy as first line is busy
while forwarding to second.

This is what our rep says, haven't tested it yet.

john@zygot.ati.com (John Higdon) (12/14/89)

In article <2000@accuvax.nwu.edu> nmri!!stanley@uunet.uu.net
(John Stanley) writes:

>If anyone calls the old main
>number while someone is still being forwarded, they don't hunt, they
>get busy.

Not generally true. When the forwarded call supervises (is answered)
then the forwarded phone will pass another call. And so on. The reason
this was done (they used to forward any number of calls, regardless of
supervision status) was to prevent forwarding loops. Try it; place a
call to your forwarded number and when it answers, place another--it
should forward as well.

An exception to this is RCF. When you set up Remote Call Forwarding (a
number that you don't even get a pair for, they just forward it for
you to a number of your choosing), they ask you to specify how many
"forwards" are to be allowed. This number should corespond to the
number of lines available at location that is receiving the calls.

    john@zygot.ati.com      | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !