[comp.dcom.telecom] AT&T Multi-line Cordless Telephones

dhk@teletech.uucp (Don H Kemp) (12/06/89)

[Moderator's Note: Mr. Kemp has passed along this press release
received through the Consultant's Liason Program of AT&T.   PT]

FOR RELEASE MONDAY, DECEMBER 4, 1989

     NEW YORK -- AT&T today announced the first multi-line cordless
telephone for business.

     The MERLIN(R) cordless telephone, designed by AT&T Bell
Laboratories, brings the same sound quality of AT&T corded phones to
office and industrial telephone users.

     "We expect the Merlin cordless telephone to set and maintain a
standard throughout the industry for years to come, and to create a
strong and lasting demand for our product -- just like the cordless
5000 series is doing in the residence market," said Paul Wondrasch,
General Business Systems president.

     "The freedom this product offers is limited only by the needs and
imagination of the user."

     The cordless Merlin has five programmable buttons that can be
used for telephone lines or system features, such as intercom and
speed dial.  Visual indicators show the status of the telephone lines.

     Users can select any one of 10 channels allocated for
transmitting cordless conversations to assure clarity.  They can even
change channels in mid-conversation, at the touch of a single button.
The automatic security system guards against unauthorized use.

     The telephone is compatible with all MERLIN(R) Plus, MERLIN(R)
II, Merlin 206, 410, 820, 1030 and 3070 Communications Systems and
AT&T System 25.  The Merlin cordless telephone can be connected
directly to the system without adaptors.

     Merlin cordless telephones are available now from AT&T's sales
force, at AT&T Phone Centers and from authorized dealers.  Suggested
prices are $485 with an AT&T telephone system purchase and $560 when
purchased alone.  One-year warranty and standard one-, two- and
four-year maintenance contracts apply.

                           # # #

              AT&T MERLIN(R) Cordless Telephone

Corded Sound Quality         ensures that calls will be crisp
                             and clear.

Ten-Channel Selection        allows users to change channels
  From Handset               instantly for clarity.

Five Line Appearances        give user access to outside
                             lines, intercom links or system
                             programmable features.

Direct Access to             allows user to connect phone
  System                     directly to the system, without
                             adaptor.

Message Light on             lets users know that they have
  Base Unit                  a call.

Three-Position Ringer        allows user to adjust volume for
Volume on Base Unit          changing environmental needs.

Visual Indicators on         show status of all lines or
  Handset                    features.

Extended Life Battery        makes frequent recharging
                             unnecessary.

Automatic Digital            has up to 65,000 codes, guarding
  Security System            against unauthorized use.

User Replaceable             make replacements fast and
  Battery and Antenna        inexpensive.

Full Range Performance       provides extensive indoor and
                             outdoor use.

Out of Range Indicator       provides audible tone to alert
                             user that phone is going out of
                             range from the base.

Visual and Audible           provide a clear indication when
Low Battery Indicators       handset recharging is necessary.

Transfer Button              allows user to transfer calls
on Handset                   to other system extensions.

Hold Button                  allows user to put one call on
Handset                      hold while placing or answering
                             other calls.

                          # # #

SPECIFICATIONS

Wiring                   Four-pair modular

FCC Compliance           Conforms to FCC rules, Part 15 for
                         cordless phones.

FCC Reg. #               AS 55HM-ATTMLC5

Certification            Transformer UL Listed
                         Set UL listed 1/1/90

Jack Type                657 - 4pr. Modular

Temperature              32 - 122 F (0 - 50 C)

Dimensions               8 1/2"(L) X 5"(W) X 2 3/4" (H)
                         Wt. 3 lbs.

Installation             Installed by AT&T Technician or Self
                         Installed

System Compatibility     MERLIN(R) Plus Communications
                         System
                         MERLIN(R) II Communications
                         System
                         MERLIN(R) 206/410/820
                         Communications Systems
                         MERLIN(R) 1030/3070 Communications
                         Systems
                         AT&T System 25

Repair Procedures        Return for repair or replacement at
                         authorized AT&T Service Center

Warranty                 One year

                            # # #

Don H Kemp			"Always listen to experts.  They'll
B & K Associates, Inc.         tell you what can't be done, and
Rutland, VT			 why.  Then do it."
unet!uvm-gen!teletech!dhk	  	               Lazarus Long

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) (12/10/89)

Don H Kemp <dhk@teletech.uucp> writes:

>      NEW YORK -- AT&T today announced the first multi-line cordless
> telephone for business.
> [huge list of features offering little more than a Panasonic
> cordless phone connected to a single-line port on a KX-T123211, deleted]
> Suggested
> prices are $485 with an AT&T telephone system purchase and $560 when
> purchased alone.  One-year warranty and standard one-, two- and
> four-year maintenance contracts apply.

I see AT&T's interpretation of "fair market value" comes to light once
again. I have a KXT3900 cordless connected to a single-line port on my
1232. I can answer any line, place a call on any line, answer any
ringing extension, answer and call my [homemade] doorphone, conference
calls, receive second call indication at the handset, access speed
dial, have system last-number-redial, park and retrieve calls, and
access internal and external paging. The phone itself scans the 10
channels for a vacant one when you go off hook and allows the user to
change channels should one become unusable during the conversation.

The price for all this? I paid $149.95. That's nearly 400% less than
AT&T's remarkable breakthrough. It also has a one-year warranty, but
I'm not stupid enough to get a maintenance contract. You see, it
(unlike what I've heard about Merlin) won't need it.

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !

joe@mojave.ati.com (Joe Talbot) (12/12/89)

I'll be very honest here in saying that I'm not a fan of the Merlin
System from AT&T. I feel that you get very little bang for the buck,
and you really don't even get the old time AT&T reliability or feel.
But,

	Why do you need four pairs for an electronic phone?

Electronic phones have been out for years, I beleive that the SL-1
phone from Northern Telecom was one of the first. It (and almost every
other) uses two pairs! One is used for data and powering the set,
another is used for an analog tip and ring.

joe@mojave
I finally changed my dumb signiture. People were always telling me what
a great signature I had.

faunt@cisco.com (Doug Faunt N6TQS 415-688-8269) (12/13/89)

The electronic phones on an AT&T System 75 can use up to 4 pair.  If
it's a hybrid phone they use one pair for analog, one pair for digital
in, one pair for digital out, and if it's running an accessory, like a
speakerphone another pair for distributing central power.  If you have
no accessories the power pair is unnecessary (this can also be handled
by having a PS local to the device).  If you're using a digital set,
then the analog pair is not necessary.

john@bovine.ati.com (John Higdon) (12/15/89)

Doug Faunt N6TQS 415-688-8269 <faunt@cisco.com> writes:

> The electronic phones on an AT&T System 75 can use up to 4 pair.  If
> it's a hybrid phone they use one pair for analog, one pair for digital
> in, one pair for digital out, and if it's running an accessory, like a
> speakerphone another pair for distributing central power.  If you have
> no accessories the power pair is unnecessary (this can also be handled
> by having a PS local to the device).  If you're using a digital set,
> then the analog pair is not necessary.

But why, Why, WHY, can't they put data send, data receive, and power
on ONE pair? Every other manufacturer in the known civilized world
seems to be able to do this. An exception is Mitel, who puts analog
voice (full duplex), send data, receive data, and power over A SINGLE
PAIR.

The question wasn't "what is on the pairs", but rather "why do they
have to use so many when others don't for the same amount of
information conveyance"?

    john@bovine.ati.com     | San Jose, CA 95150 |       M o o !