[comp.dcom.telecom] Abuse of Information

deej@bellcore.bellcore.com (David Lewis) (12/17/89)

In article <2167@accuvax.nwu.edu>, clements@bbn.com writes:

> In article <2064@accuvax.nwu.edu> michael@stb.uucp writes:
> >It gives plenty of ABUSE to people compiling information and
> >selling it.

> That's why selective blocking by the callER is a requirement in my
> view.  It must be possible to CHOOSE whether you will give out your
> number.

Here's something I don't get.  One argument against calling number
delivery and/or in favor of calling number delivery blocking is the
potential for abuse by the called party.  The argument is essentially
(and if I mistate it, please correct and not flame -- I'm really not
trying to set up a straw man)

"Called parties can abuse calling number delivery by using the calling
number to compile customer lists, harass me by phone, sell my phone
number to telemarketing companies, etc.  Therefore, [calling number
delivery shouldn't be permitted | I should be able to selectively
block calling number delivery]."

Like I said, I don't get this.  There is potential for the service to
be abused, therefore, the service should be shut off (or blockable).
Isn't the problem (in this case, anyway) the *abuse* of the service,
not the *existance* of the service?

Wouldn't it make more sense to outlaw the abuse of caller information,
whether delivered automatically or manually?  If you call a mail order
company, and the agent says "and may I have a phone number where you
can be reached", and you give it to the agent, the potential for abuse
exists.  (Yes, you have the potential to "block" the "delivery" of the
calling number in this case; some people may do this.)

My point is, it seems somewhat of an overreaction (typical of a great
many overreactions by the american public and "public servants" these
days) to attempt to quell a potential abuse of technology by
attempting to restrict the use of the technology.  What's needed is
not the outlawing of calling number delivery -- what's needed is a
clear statement of policy about the (I seem to be dwelling on this a
lot lately) ownership of information and the rights of parties to use
or sell information that "belongs" to someone else.

David G Lewis					...!bellcore!nvuxr!deej
	(@ Bellcore Navesink Research & Engineering Center)
			"If this is paradise, I wish I had a lawnmower."