[comp.dcom.telecom] 9600 Baud Modem Standards

lee@tis.com (Theodore Lee) (12/06/89)

Could someone please describe what 9600 baud modem standards,
including error-correction, are now current?  (Telenet is starting to
offer 9600-baud service -- how do I make sure that their modem is
compatible with mine or with one I might call from their network when
they get around to adding 9600 baud outdial as well?)

(I don't read this Digest regularly, so if the question has been
answered recently please point me to the answer, and, in any case,
please reply directly.)

Ted Lee <lee@TIS.COM>

[Moderator's Note: But in answering Mr. Lee, please 'cc' the Digest
also. Thanks. PT]

rjh@yclept.chi.il.us (Randolph J. Herber) (12/15/89)

In article <1865@accuvax.nwu.edu> you write:

>(Telenet is starting to >offer 9600-baud service -- how do I make sure
>that their modem is compatible with mine or with one I might call from
>their network when >they get around to adding 9600 baud outdial as well?)

>Ted Lee <lee@TIS.COM>

1. Telenet's customer service number is 1 800 336 0437 (1 703 689 6400).

2. From their Winter 1989 booklet, "U.S. Access Telephone Numbers":
   a. The modems are Microcom V.29 compatibles
   b. The 9600 baud service is available in
      * Phoenix, AZ * Los Angles, CA * San Francisco, CA * Denver, CO
      * Washington, DC * Maimi, FL * Atlanta, GA * Chicago, IL
      * Kansas City, KS & MO * New Orleans, LA * Baltimore, MD * Boston, MA
      * Ann Arbor, MI * Detroit, MI * Minneapolis, MN * St Louis, MO
      * Newark, NJ * Princeton, NJ * New York, NY * Cincinnatti, OH
      * Cleveland, OH * Columbus, OH * Kent, OH * Portland, OR
      * Philadelphia, PA * Pitsburgh, PA * Dallas, TX * Ft Worth, TX
      * Houston, TX * Seattle, WA * Milwaukee, WI

3. From discussions with their customer service department, I learned
   that the modems were neither PEP or V.32 compatible, that they have
   received many requests for V.32 support, and that they were considering
   installing V.32 capacity in early 1990.

	Randolph J. Herber,
	@ home: {att|mcdchg|laidbak|clout|obdient|wheaton}!yclept!rjh,
		rjh@yclept.chi.il.us

hrs@batavier.att.com (Herman R Silbiger) (12/17/89)

In article <2205@accuvax.nwu.edu>, rjh@yclept.chi.il.us (Randolph J. Herber)
writes:

> In article <1865@accuvax.nwu.edu> you write:

> >(Telenet is starting to >offer 9600-baud service -- how do I make sure

> 2. From their Winter 1989 booklet, "U.S. Access Telephone Numbers":
>    a. The modems are Microcom V.29 compatibles
>    that the modems were neither PEP or V.32 compatible, that they have
>    received many requests for V.32 support, and that they were considering
>    installing V.32 capacity in early 1990.

The V.29 modem is standardized as a private line 9600 Kb/s modem. The
V.29 configuration is also used in Group 3 facsimile.  I assume that
Telenet is installing these for receiving and sending fax messages,
since it does not seem to be a private line application.

The V.32 is intended for dial-up applications.  Its price seems to be
coming down steadily.

Current work in Group 3 standardization has settled on the V.33
configuration for speeds up to 14.4 Kb/s.

Herman Silbiger
hrs@batavier.ATT.COM