[comp.dcom.telecom] White Pages

cowan@marob.masa.com (John Cowan) (12/19/89)

In article <2226@accuvax.nwu.edu>,
	nvuxr!deej@bellcore.bellcore.com (David Lewis) writes:

>Should you restrict the telcos from selling,
>say, online white pages service?  If you do, the service is never
>going to be available -- no one else has the information to offer it.

Not so!  I am (when wearing my weekend-vacationer hat) a subscriber to
Taconic Telephone, a small telco in Columbia County, NY.  I receive
from them the regular phone book.  This contains full listings for TT
subscribers, broken down by town, plus excerpts from the phonebooks of
the other four telcos in Columbia County (Berkshire Tel, Germantown
Tel, NY Tel).

I also get, free of charge, another set of white pages from Trans
Western Publishing.  This contains the entire Columbia County phone
list in a single alphabetical listing.  (Both white pages have yellow
pages bound at the back, and these yellow pages are obviously not
quite the same.)  Guess which set of white pages I use more often?

In some places, there is a definite need for competing sets of white
pages.  Where does Trans Western get its white page info?  It matches
TT's exactly.

dattier@chinet.chi.il.us (David Tamkin) (12/20/89)

John Cowan asked in TELECOM Digest, Volume 9, Issue 582:

| Where does Trans Western get its white page info?  It matches
| Taconic Telephone's exactly.

The two local telcos here share white pages information with one
another, and the independent books that proliferated here in late 1987
credit the telcos with the info.

For example, Community Telephone Directories' 1987-88 book for the
near northwestern suburbs of Chicago has these two paragraphs on page
2:

:Listings for 296, 297 [rest of list elided], 825, and 827 prefixes
:were transcribed by Community Telephone Directories, Inc. pursuant to
:a license from Central Telephone Company of Illinois, from
:compilations copyrighted by Central Telephone Company of Illinois and
:may not be reproduced in whole or in part without the written consent
:of Central Telephone Company of Illinois.

:Listings of the Illinois Bell Telephone Company contained within this
:directory were transcribed by Community Telephone Directories, Inc.
:pursuant to a license from Illinois Bell Telephone Company (from
:compilations copyrighted 1987 by Illinois Bell Telephone Company) and
:may not be reproduced in whole or in any part, or in any form
:whatsoever, without :written consent of Illinois Bell Telephone
:Company.

National Suburban Directories' books have similar language.  Fairly
likely Trans Western has a similar arrangement with the telcos in
Columbia County.

The local book from Illinois Bell (the Chicago white pages) contains
listings for Centel service within the city of Chicago, and the local
Centel directory (Des Plaines/Park Ridge) includes listings for
Illinois Bell service within the city of Des Plaines.  However,
neither telco's directory has a notice of license such as those above
for use of the other telco's listing information.

David Tamkin  P.O Box 813  Rosemont, Illinois 60018-0813 |      BIX: dattier
dattier@chinet.chi.il.us   (708) 518-6769 (312) 693-0591 | GEnie: D.W.TAMKIN
Everyone on Chinet has his or her own opinion about this.|   CIS: 73720,1570

[Moderator's Note: In addition, Centel publishes a directory for
Chicago which is entitled 'Chicago-Newcastle', and the information
therein is duplicated in Illinois Bell's Chicago White Pages.   PT]